Using Jumbo Frames & Gigabit - Actual BPS is slow !

Did a test with Intel Gigabit & 3com 3c2000

Using TCP Client/Server
i get to a max 30mbs (Mega Bytes/Sec.)

We transfer images from a host computer
to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit
what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?
3 answers Last reply
More about using jumbo frames gigabit actual slow

    In article <7695359e.0409170639.2f556a4c@posting.google.com>,
    Roni Flieswasser <roni@camtek.be> wrote:
    :Did a test with Intel Gigabit & 3com 3c2000

    :Using TCP Client/Server
    :i get to a max 30mbs (Mega Bytes/Sec.)

    :We transfer images from a host computer
    :to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit
    :what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?

    If the same image must go to each computer, you could use
    multicast.

    You did not say anything about which OS you were using, or about
    the architecture of the systems involved, or about how you measured
    the throughput. 240 Mbps is not too different from what I would
    expect from a standard PC running Windows: to go faster, you
    need a better-designed architecture. I would suggest that you
    look on tomshardware.com for the article about gigabit networking,
    http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040430/index.html

    --
    Look out, there are llamas!

    Roni Flieswasser <roni@camtek.be> wrote:
    > Did a test with Intel Gigabit & 3com 3c2000

    > Using TCP Client/Server
    > i get to a max 30mbs (Mega Bytes/Sec.)

    > We transfer images from a host computer to 5 client computers , each
    > image is 1024x1024x8bit what would be the fastest way to transfer
    > this data ?

    So, you are going from filesystem to filesystem (perhaps disc to disc)
    and getting 30 megabytes per second. What is your local disc
    performance? If it is around 30 MB/s you have found your bottleneck.

    Or, use something that does not involve the filesystem - eg
    http://www.netperf.org/ and see if that goes faster than 30 MB/s.

    rick jones
    feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    roni@camtek.be (Roni Flieswasser) wrote in message news:<7695359e.0409170639.2f556a4c@posting.google.com>...

    We are using Dual Xeon 3ghz computers with Windows XP
    Transfer is done Camera -> DMA -> Memory -> Clients
    Clients will process the data and dump it.

Ethernet Card Networking