Better upgrade path for AM2 or socket775?

EdgarTheGreen

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
K, so I need a computer right away (like by the end of next week).
I know that the core 2 duos are out, but there are none that are available in my area, and it looks like they wont be available for at least another 2 months. So, I am thinking of just getting an amd X2 4600+ now and have a possible upgrade path for a future processor like the the 4x4. I am also contemplating on whether to get a cheaper video card now(7600GT), or just go for a more expensive one(7900GT). I guess that depends on whether or not you guys think the 7900GT will run well with the new dx10 which will come with vista. Anyways, what do you think I should do now in order for me to have the best upgrade path?

Thanks for the help

EdgarTheGreen

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
K, so an update here on my dilema... Even though looks like no one was interested. So I bought my computer tonight. For those of you who are interested, i'm posting the specs. Looks like I went to the core 2 duo route. They didnt have any e6600s, but they did have e6300s, the guy was telling me that they overclock very well, and in the end I can still get a sweet computer out of this. So here it goes

Core 2 Duo E6300
Corsair 2Gb DDR2 PC2-5400 667Mhz
Nvidia 7900GT OC
Seagate Baracuda 7200.10 320Gb HD
Asus P5B motherboard
Antec SonataII case with a 450Watt power supply

Anyways, feel free to critique this pc.

notquitehere188

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Anyways, feel free to critique this pc.

does not seem like it would work, you need an operating system :p
i know where you can get one free and legally :)

seriously though, if you really want criticisim on a pc you have already bought you are clearly crazy. if we said for instance, that your ram and mobo combo somehow ran slower than they should, you would never have noticed :p

i looked at that mobo, but i think that the cheaper gigabyte mobo is far better based on what i have read.

nice comp though, but it will never beat mine (in sig)

EdgarTheGreen

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Haha, cool man, I wanst really looking for anyone to really critique my PC, just thought it would be nice to give an update. Pretty sure I didnt do any real damage though, but yeh, I'll be getting XP pro tomorrow for free anyways and legally :D