WEB Site redirection

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
December 8, 2004 10:21:02 AM

I have all my workstations pointed to a few different DNS server. In the past
24hours I tried browsing to a web site from a workstation on the network and
all the web sites were being redirected to a perscription medication web
site.
I since removed the DNS server that was redirecting these web sites from the
DNS server list in DHCP but I can find on that DNS server what may have
caused this DNS redirection.

Where can I look to find this error?

Thank you,
Rob

More about : web site redirection

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:26:42 PM

In news:8005CDBB-BBA8-413A-B7E6-71103D53F8B5@microsoft.com,
Rob <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have all my workstations pointed to a few different DNS
> server. In the past 24hours I tried browsing to a web
> site from a workstation on the network and all the web
> sites were being redirected to a perscription medication
> web site.
> I since removed the DNS server that was redirecting these
> web sites from the DNS server list in DHCP but I can find
> on that DNS server what may have caused this DNS
> redirection.
>
> Where can I look to find this error?

This is likely being caused by mal-ware or ad-ware. DNS by itself cannot
redirect you, you put in a name, it gives you an IP address for the name.
The only question is, are you getting the correct IP address?
When you get "redirected" does the browser window have the name you typed
in?
I would first recommend installing and running Spybot Search & Destroy and
keep it up to date just like you would an Anti-virus program.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

As I pinged the address I was getting a different IP address.
When I type in the domain name of the web site, the name stay's in the
address line where the "medical perscription" site appears.
Stopping and re-start the DNS client and server services fixed the problem,
but I dont want this to happen again.

I Scanned for viruses and Spyware and didnt find anything.

Thanks,
Rob

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:8005CDBB-BBA8-413A-B7E6-71103D53F8B5@microsoft.com,
> Rob <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I have all my workstations pointed to a few different DNS
> > server. In the past 24hours I tried browsing to a web
> > site from a workstation on the network and all the web
> > sites were being redirected to a perscription medication
> > web site.
> > I since removed the DNS server that was redirecting these
> > web sites from the DNS server list in DHCP but I can find
> > on that DNS server what may have caused this DNS
> > redirection.
> >
> > Where can I look to find this error?
>
> This is likely being caused by mal-ware or ad-ware. DNS by itself cannot
> redirect you, you put in a name, it gives you an IP address for the name.
> The only question is, are you getting the correct IP address?
> When you get "redirected" does the browser window have the name you typed
> in?
> I would first recommend installing and running Spybot Search & Destroy and
> keep it up to date just like you would an Anti-virus program.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

December 9, 2004 12:42:52 AM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:21:02 -0800, Rob <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have all my workstations pointed to a few different DNS server. In the past
>24hours I tried browsing to a web site from a workstation on the network and
>all the web sites were being redirected to a perscription medication web
>site.
>I since removed the DNS server that was redirecting these web sites from the
>DNS server list in DHCP but I can find on that DNS server what may have
>caused this DNS redirection.
>
>Where can I look to find this error?

Cache poisoning maybe?

Jeff
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 7:42:17 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns,microsoft.public.windows.server.dns (More info?)

J> Cache poisoning maybe?

Or an ActiveX control manipuating the web browser, or a worm overwriting
the local "hosts" file, or a trojan horse installing a customised PAC
file ...

It could be any number of things, all entirely unrelated to the DNS.
One of the first things to do with "I have a web browser problem. How
do I fix my DNS service?" questions is to determine that they *actually
are DNS problems* in the first place.
!