Disk Cleanup - calculation takes forever

Whenever I open Disk Cleanup, it says it is calculation how much space I will
be able to free up... which is normal.
But the actualy calculation/scanning either freezes up or will continue to
scan until I exit it and I have never gotten past that window to actually use
the Disk Cleanup.

It takes 99 of my CPU usage so that the CPU usage is at 100% while it is
caculating. It will remain this way until I exit it.

Does anybody know how to get past this so that it will only take a little
while (a guy I know said his only takes about 60 seconds.)?? I have never
been able to run the actually Disk Cleanup because of this problem.

Please help!!
Thanks,
Liz
5 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup calculation takes forever

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:09:07 -0700, LizXpComputer wrote:

    > Whenever I open Disk Cleanup, it says it is calculation how much space I will
    > be able to free up... which is normal.
    > But the actualy calculation/scanning either freezes up or will continue to
    > scan until I exit it and I have never gotten past that window to actually use
    > the Disk Cleanup.
    >
    > It takes 99 of my CPU usage so that the CPU usage is at 100% while it is
    > caculating. It will remain this way until I exit it.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to get past this so that it will only take a little
    > while (a guy I know said his only takes about 60 seconds.)?? I have never
    > been able to run the actually Disk Cleanup because of this problem.
    >
    > Please help!!
    > Thanks,
    > Liz

    The freeze can be due to a corrupt temporary file or to improper registry
    entries. URLs for articles about both situations with steps to fix:

    Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding While Compressing Old Files

    The Disk Cleanup Tool Stops Responding

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi

    Please try the following link:

    "Why does Disk Cleanup freeze?"

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "LizXpComputer" <LizXpComputer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I open Disk Cleanup, it says it is calculation how much space I
    > will
    > be able to free up... which is normal.
    > But the actualy calculation/scanning either freezes up or will continue to
    > scan until I exit it and I have never gotten past that window to actually
    > use
    > the Disk Cleanup.
    >
    > It takes 99 of my CPU usage so that the CPU usage is at 100% while it is
    > caculating. It will remain this way until I exit it.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to get past this so that it will only take a little
    > while (a guy I know said his only takes about 60 seconds.)?? I have never
    > been able to run the actually Disk Cleanup because of this problem.
    >
    > Please help!!
    > Thanks,
    > Liz

    http://www.ccleaner.com
    Try this outstanding free software fore cleaning internet traces

    "LizXpComputer" wrote:

    > Whenever I open Disk Cleanup, it says it is calculation how much space I will
    > be able to free up... which is normal.
    > But the actualy calculation/scanning either freezes up or will continue to
    > scan until I exit it and I have never gotten past that window to actually use
    > the Disk Cleanup.
    >
    > It takes 99 of my CPU usage so that the CPU usage is at 100% while it is
    > caculating. It will remain this way until I exit it.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to get past this so that it will only take a little
    > while (a guy I know said his only takes about 60 seconds.)?? I have never
    > been able to run the actually Disk Cleanup because of this problem.
    >
    > Please help!!
    > Thanks,
    > Liz

    Your Temporary Internet Files folder may contain corrupted files that Windows
    Disk Cleanup can not delete. But, you can delete all the files in the
    directories in the Content.IE5 directory with the DOS DEL command.

    Create the following BAT file replacing the DIRnnnnn demo names with the
    directories contained in your Content.IE5 directory.

    Replace Owner with the user name.

    cd\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5

    cd DIR00001 > NUL
    ECHO Y|DEL *.* > NUL

    cd ..\DIR00002 > NUL
    ECHO Y|DEL *.* > NUL

    cd ..\DIR00003 > NUL
    ECHO Y|DEL *.* > NUL

    cd ..\DIR00004 > NUL
    ECHO Y|DEL *.* > NUL

    <repeat for each directory in Content.IE5>

    exit

    Note: When the first CD command executes, Content.IE5 is the current
    directory. The subsequent CD commands include ..\ to go back up one level to
    get back to the Content.IE5 directory.

    Save this BAT file in case the problem ever happens again. Good luck.

    "Nicoliani" wrote:

    > http://www.ccleaner.com
    > Try this outstanding free software fore cleaning internet traces
    >
    > "LizXpComputer" wrote:
    >
    > > Whenever I open Disk Cleanup, it says it is calculation how much space I will
    > > be able to free up... which is normal.
    > > But the actualy calculation/scanning either freezes up or will continue to
    > > scan until I exit it and I have never gotten past that window to actually use
    > > the Disk Cleanup.
    > >
    > > It takes 99 of my CPU usage so that the CPU usage is at 100% while it is
    > > caculating. It will remain this way until I exit it.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know how to get past this so that it will only take a little
    > > while (a guy I know said his only takes about 60 seconds.)?? I have never
    > > been able to run the actually Disk Cleanup because of this problem.
    > >
    > > Please help!!
    > > Thanks,
    > > Liz

    I have the very same problem but the computer witch I use dosen't have a
    internet connection so I don't worry about the cokies etc. but HELP as well
    needed!

Disk Cleanup CPUs Microsoft Windows XP