Need help on setting up win2000 dns

>> Again, I am tring to setup the same DNS server for both
>> Internal DNS and External DNS.

>Sorry you can't use the same MS DNS server for Public and Private
domains of
>the same name. You will have to split this into two different DNS
servers.
>One with a public zone publishing only public records, one with the
private
>zone publishing private records for the internal machines.
>BIND is supposed to be capable of this.

Thanks.
I split that into two server, the one in LAN is for Private zone and
the other in DMZ is for Public zone, and I can reach the internet
without any problems.
As of the public DNS server, I successfully get it in operation with
the private IP on its interface.
3 answers Last reply
More about need setting win2000

    In news:848edb4c.0412090618.4536d2ac@posting.google.com,
    Yui <yuui.yamane@esolia.co.jp> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    >>> Again, I am tring to setup the same DNS server for both
    >>> Internal DNS and External DNS.
    >
    >> Sorry you can't use the same MS DNS server for Public
    >> and Private domains of the same name. You will have to
    >> split this into two different DNS servers. One with a
    >> public zone publishing only public records, one with the
    >> private zone publishing private records for the internal
    >> machines.
    >> BIND is supposed to be capable of this.
    >
    > Thanks.
    > I split that into two server, the one in LAN is for
    > Private zone and the other in DMZ is for Public zone, and
    > I can reach the internet without any problems.
    > As of the public DNS server, I successfully get it in
    > operation with the private IP on its interface.

    The interface IP of a DNS server is not relevant, as long as it publishes
    only records with public addresses, and it can be accessed by a public IP
    address that is NATed to it.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    > The interface IP of a DNS server is not relevant, as long as it
    publishes
    > only records with public addresses, and it can be accessed by a
    public IP
    > address that is NATed to it.

    Dear Kevin and Herb,

    Thank you for your inputs all.
    I am now running the public DNS with the DNS proxy service of
    Watchguard Firebox X, so that at least I can minimize the security
    risks. Additionally, I have set up the primary public DNS in our
    network, but the secondary public DNS is hosted by our ISP.

    <yuui.yamane@esolia.co.jp> wrote in message
    > > The interface IP of a DNS server is not relevant, as long as it
    > publishes
    > > only records with public addresses, and it can be accessed by a
    > public IP
    > > address that is NATed to it.
    >
    > Dear Kevin and Herb,
    >
    > Thank you for your inputs all.
    > I am now running the public DNS with the DNS proxy service of
    > Watchguard Firebox X, so that at least I can minimize the security
    > risks. Additionally, I have set up the primary public DNS in our
    > network, but the secondary public DNS is hosted by our ISP.

    You would still be better served (in the long run)
    by moving both back to the Registrar if they offer
    the service (most do.)

    Most ISPs don't have an interface where you can
    change your own DNS if they host the Primary, but
    practically ever (major) Registrar works this way.

    --
    Herb Martin

DNS Server DNS Windows