Fastest way to transfer data from one computer to another

We transfer images from a host computer
to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit=1mb
what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?

For now we use Gigabit ethernet , we get net max 30 mbs (mega byes/sec.)
using TCP
4 answers Last reply
More about fastest transfer data computer another

    Roni Flieswasser wrote:

    > We transfer images from a host computer
    > to 5 client computers , each image is 1024x1024x8bit=1mb
    > what would be the fastest way to transfer this data ?
    >
    > For now we use Gigabit ethernet , we get net max 30 mbs (mega byes/sec.)
    > using TCP

    You need to specify the volume. For some types of data transfer a truck is
    the fastest means (never underestimate the bandwidth of an 18-wheeler full
    of disks--the latency's a bitch though).

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Roni Flieswasser <roni@camtek.be> wrote:
    > We transfer images from a host computer to 5 client computers
    > , each image is 1024x1024x8bit=1mb what would be the fastest
    > way to transfer this data ?

    Broadcast and UDP if occasional errors (snow) are tolerable.
    If the machines are fast enough, compress data, but the snow
    gets larger. Which compression depends on image type.

    > For now we use Gigabit ethernet , we get net max 30 mbs
    > (mega byes/sec.) using TCP

    This sounds very typical for a PC with a standard PCI bus.
    You need 64 bits or 66 MHz varients of PCI to go faster,
    even though the theoretical max of PCI is 133 MByte/s,
    there's a lot of overhead for short bursts.

    -- Robert

    We transfer None stop 1mb chunks
    from the Host to the clients
    The host queues the files and transfer one after the other
    to the clients.

    So the host sees actualy 30mbs & client 30/(num clients)

    roni@camtek.be (Roni Flieswasser) wrote:
    >So the host sees actualy 30mbs & client 30/(num clients)

    Look into broadcasting or multicasting, then you'll transfer to all
    the clients in parallel.

Ethernet Card Computers Networking