Norton Anti Virus 2004

After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work so I
deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way through
installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG and
Ad-Aware
16 answers Last reply
More about norton anti virus 2004

    Two anti-virus applications could be one too many. They are likely have
    conflicts. Settle on one or the other. I personally use AVG Anti-Virus
    Free Edition and it works just fine. I have never liked anything from
    Symantec.

    "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work so
    > deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way through
    > installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG and
    > Ad-Aware

    As far as I am aware, there is a removal tool on the Symantec website..
    also, you should not run two anti-virus programs together..

    "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work so
    > deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way through
    > installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG and
    > Ad-Aware

    Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    at a time.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    William;

    There is a removal tool on the Symantec website...download it, run it,
    and you are done. No literature required. Don't know where you get your
    information, but you need a more reliable source.

    Bobby

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    > hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    > you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    > at a time.
    >
    > Mike Hall wrote:
    >> As far as I am aware, there is a removal tool on the Symantec website..
    >> also, you should not run two anti-virus programs together..
    >>

    >> "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work
    >>>so I
    >>>deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way
    >>>through
    >>>installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG
    >>>and
    >>>Ad-Aware
    >>

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    on this computer(ME) my dad had norton on it and we got hit by 4 viruses and
    lost about 1/3 of the stuff on the hard drive. when i get the internet
    working again on my laptop i will prolly get mcafee or something so my
    laptop doesnt get owned by a virus

    "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:

    > William;
    >
    > There is a removal tool on the Symantec website...download it, run it,
    > and you are done. No literature required. Don't know where you get your
    > information, but you need a more reliable source.
    >
    > Bobby
    >
    > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > > Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    > > hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    > > you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    > > at a time.
    > >
    > > Mike Hall wrote:
    > >> As far as I am aware, there is a removal tool on the Symantec website..
    > >> also, you should not run two anti-virus programs together..
    > >>

    > >> "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > > --
    > > William B. Lurie

    I've use Trend Micro's product at our office and at home.
    I've had no problems with it whatsoever. The nice thing
    is that it has everything you need. Shop around if you decide
    to buy it. You can usually find it for less that the 49.95
    listed on their site. Most importantly...it works.

    gls858

    www.trendmicro.com

    Trend Micro PC-cillin™ Internet Security 2005

    Integrated Virus Protection from Viruses, Hackers, Spyware, and
    Spam for Home and Small Office.

    Antivirus
    Personal Firewall
    Spyware Removal - New!
    Anti-phishing - New!
    Home Network Control - New!
    Vulnerability Check - New!
    Enhanced Spam Filtering

    James wrote:
    > on this computer(ME) my dad had norton on it and we got hit by 4 viruses and
    > lost about 1/3 of the stuff on the hard drive. when i get the internet
    > working again on my laptop i will prolly get mcafee or something so my
    > laptop doesnt get owned by a virus
    >
    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >

    >>William;
    >>
    >> There is a removal tool on the Symantec website...download it, run it,
    >>and you are done. No literature required. Don't know where you get your
    >>information, but you need a more reliable source.
    >>
    >>Bobby
    >>
    >>"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    >>>hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    >>>you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    >>>at a time.

    >>>--
    >>> William B. Lurie

    Okay, NNBD.... I'll look there again......but their own Tech Support
    people give me stuff that says "Start with Add/Remove Programs", and
    then they go into their song and dance. They've never given me a
    workable feasible procedure for uninstalling NSW2004.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Sorry to hear that the Norton Anti Virus didn't protect
    your dad, James. As lousy as they are to work with,
    I will say that they have done a 100% effective job of
    protecting me.
    Bill L.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    Gosh, Bobby..... that site is so generous in what it
    offers you, that I can't find anything as simple
    as a Removal Tool..... can you lead me to it?
    W B L

    >> "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >>

    >>> William;
    >>>
    >>> There is a removal tool on the Symantec website...download it, run
    >>> it, and you are done. No literature required. Don't know where you
    >>> get your information, but you need a more reliable source.
    >>>
    >>> Bobby

    if you think that norton and/or symantec is bad, mcafee is just as bad if not
    worse. If you can, try to get your hands on a copy of Symantec AntiVirus
    Corporate Edition 9.0. If you know someone who goes to college, ask them if
    their school provides it to them and if they can get you a copy. It works
    amazing, but only if you keep the virus def's up to date.

    "James" wrote:

    > on this computer(ME) my dad had norton on it and we got hit by 4 viruses and
    > lost about 1/3 of the stuff on the hard drive. when i get the internet
    > working again on my laptop i will prolly get mcafee or something so my
    > laptop doesnt get owned by a virus
    >
    > "NoNoBadDog!" wrote:
    >
    > > William;
    > >
    > > There is a removal tool on the Symantec website...download it, run it,
    > > and you are done. No literature required. Don't know where you get your
    > > information, but you need a more reliable source.
    > >
    > > Bobby
    > >
    > > "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    > > > Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    > > > hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    > > > you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    > > > at a time.

    > > > --
    > > > William B. Lurie

    I found it in under 30 seconds....

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&sone=nav_2003_tasks.html&stg=3&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&base=http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/&next=nav_2003_contact_tscs_solve.html&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=

    > Gosh, Bobby..... that site is so generous in what it
    > offers you, that I can't find anything as simple
    > as a Removal Tool..... can you lead me to it?
    > W B L

    Thanks, NNBD. After squeezing the font down to 50%, I got
    a link that worked........and took me right to........
    Removing NAV2003 .........Thanks again for the effort, ole buddy....
    but I need some tool to remove NSW2004......

    WBL

    --
    William B. Lurie

    @004 has it's own uninstaller...under Control Panel...if it is not there,
    simply install over itself and then uninstall.

    > Thanks, NNBD. After squeezing the font down to 50%, I got
    > a link that worked........and took me right to........
    > Removing NAV2003 .........Thanks again for the effort, ole buddy....
    > but I need some tool to remove NSW2004......
    >
    > WBL
    >
    > NoNoBadDog! wrote:
    >> I found it in under 30 seconds....
    >>

    >> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02?OpenDocument&sone=nav_2003_tasks.html&stg=3&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&base=http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nav/&next=nav_2003_contact_tscs_solve.html&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=
    >>

    >> Bobby
    >>
    >> "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Gosh, Bobby..... that site is so generous in what it
    >>>offers you, that I can't find anything as simple
    >>>as a Removal Tool..... can you lead me to it?
    >>>W B L

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Yes, and Symantec sent me TechSupp answers saying "But if
    that doesn't work (and mine doesn't), follow these
    directions........" And they follow with page after
    page of instructions and links to about 35 pages if you print
    them all out. And you have to print them all out because
    you sure can't follow them online.

    And I asked them, can I simplu re-install from the
    original CD, and they said "No".

    Been all thru this with them. You see, there is an
    error message "LU1848" related to their Live Update
    software, that is impossible to get rid of, without all that
    rigamarole, and it prevents the uninstall. It's really
    a Catch-22 ....
    Bill L.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    "William B. Lurie" wrote:

    > Yes Symantec will give you an uninstall bunch of literature....
    > hopelessly complicated, and dangerous in that it requires
    > you to search the Registry and remove all their items one line
    > at a time.
    >
    > Mike Hall wrote:
    > > As far as I am aware, there is a removal tool on the Symantec website..
    > > also, you should not run two anti-virus programs together..
    > >

    > > "Theresa" <Theresa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work so
    > >>deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way through
    > >>installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG and
    > >>Ad-Aware
    > >

    > --
    > William B. Lurie

    Theresa,
    I too had conflict problems with Norton AV after SP2 install. By searching
    the Symantec help site (difficult at times), I found the problem (for me) =
    computer manufacturer had installed a "multi-boot" program. I followed the
    directions and found how to change boot up options. Once fixed it worked ...
    for a New York minute. For whatever reason, eventually AV stopped working,
    re-install of AV did not work, and and I could not access other Symantec
    programs (except Go Back and Personal Firewall. Then SP2 caused major
    problems after about 10 days, including I/O problems and them loss of access
    to Internet Explorer. SP2 Uninstall did not work (I even had CD), so I had
    to START OVER - restore disk. Installed 512M pf more memory after XP SP1
    stable. Then I found (difficult) a way around the constant reminder to
    download SP2 AND get old SP1 updates. System purring now. Advise putting
    off install of SP2 until the "bugs" are out.

    "Theresa" wrote:

    > After downloading the update to sp2 my Norton Anti Virus would not work so I
    > deleted and tried to re-install but keep getting an error half way through
    > installation.What can I do to fix this problem. I am also running AVG and
    > Ad-Aware

Norton Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP