2003 DNS alias question

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

This works in 2000 DNS but not in 2003 DNS and I'd like to find a fix because
it is very useful to us:

When we setup a new forward lookup zone, in 2000, we could add an alias
without an alias name (so it will use the parent domain). In 2003 it gives
us the error:

"An alias (CNAME) record cannot be added to this DNS name. The DNS name
contains records that are incompatible with the CNAME record."

I've tried creating a host record that does not have a host name (so it will
use the parent domain) and then point the alias to that record but I still
get the same error.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Ken

In news:CCD15836-504A-4DEA-BF3E-E0801A36C690@microsoft.com,
Ken <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> This works in 2000 DNS but not in 2003 DNS and I'd like
> to find a fix because it is very useful to us:
>
> When we setup a new forward lookup zone, in 2000, we
> could add an alias without an alias name (so it will use
> the parent domain). In 2003 it gives us the error:
>
> "An alias (CNAME) record cannot be added to this DNS
> name. The DNS name contains records that are
> incompatible with the CNAME record."
>
> I've tried creating a host record that does not have a
> host name (so it will use the parent domain) and then
> point the alias to that record but I still get the same
> error.

Win2k won't do it either.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Actually, it will. We do it all the time and I did it just before I posted
this question. You at least have to point the "blank" alias to the "parent
domain" entry under the foward lookup zone.

Ken

In news:C574B464-9879-46E5-95E6-97EF1F193C50@microsoft.com,
Ken <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Actually, it will. We do it all the time and I did it
> just before I posted this question. You at least have to
> point the "blank" alias to the "parent domain" entry
> under the foward lookup zone.

I can't on any of mine, so I don't know how your doing it. RFCs disallow
CNAMES on the same node with any other record.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
===================================
===================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
===================================
It will strip signature out and more
===================================
with OEBackup:
===================================

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

No offense but we do not get an error on any of the hundreds of installs of
Win2k Server but it doesn't work on 2003. If no one else is going to reply
to this thread then we'll have to just give Microsoft a call and spend $250
to answer this question. I do appreciate the replies though. :)

In news:E86CABC4-C6F6-4A32-913D-538BB5EF513E@microsoft.com,
Ken <Ken@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
:: No offense but we do not get an error on any of the hundreds of
:: installs of Win2k Server but it doesn't work on 2003. If no one
:: else is going to reply to this thread then we'll have to just give
:: Microsoft a call and spend $250 to answer this question. I do
:: appreciate the replies though. :)
::
:: Ken

Ken, what I've found, is you can create this blank Alias, that is, as long
as there is NO blank host record or LdapIpAddress record already created. If
there is an LdapIpAddress or blank host record created, it will not let you
create it and you will get that error. If you do not have one of these
records already there, then you can create the record.

btw- The LdapIpAddress record(s) are the blank domain entries created by the
Netlogon service on each domain controller that exists in that domain. They
are used for GPO application and DFS functionality, among other AD
functions.

You can go ahead and call PSS, but they will tell you the same thing, no
matter what operating system you are attempting this on.

If you can state the purpose of this record, we may be able to come up with
an alternate solution.

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

K> In 2003 it gives us the error:

And quite correctly so. What you are trying to do is wrong. Stop
attempting to do it.

K> I'd like to find a fix

<URL:http://perl.plover.com./Questions3.html>
<URL:http://catb.org./~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#goal>

I experienced this a few hours ago on a Win2000 server, but I have also
done it in the past on Win2003. First, make sure you do not have any
Host record entries that are assigned to (same as parent folder) which
would be your zone name. You cannot have duplicate or conflicting Host
(A) Record and Alias (CName) Records. This is a common mistake because
when creating an Active Directory Integrated Zone, it usually adds them
by default.

I was successful only when I deleted the Host Record and creating a
CName record before DNS automatically recreated the Host records. I
believe you can disable the auto creation of these records by
unchecking "Register this connections address in DNS" under the DNS tab
of the network protocol (ie, TCP/IP) of your network adapter.

BTW My reason for attempting the same record creation is because our
network domain name is the same as our external website's domain name.

IE. If my internal network domain is "DOMAIN" then my zone would be
"DOMAIN.COM" and my website would be "WWW.DOMAIN.COM" or "DOMAIN.COM"

This proposes a problem for employees on our network. If the DNS is not
setup correctly, cannot access our website.

The way I fixed that was by first deleting all host records that were
automatically added upon the creation of the zone.

Ie. (same as parent folder) HOST 'Ip Address'
In my case one 4 each network adapter

I then created a Host record call website,
appended to my zone the record now reads "website.domain.com"

Then I created 3 aliases.

www HOST 'website.domain.com'
mail HOST 'website.domian.com'
(same as parent folder) HOST 'website.domain.com'

When creating the last alias I left the alias name blank and clicked ok
on the popup.

Now employees on the internal network can get to our website eother by
visiting "www.domain.com", "domain.com" and access mail by setting
their pop server to "mail.domain.com"

Let me know...

--