Forward only specific zones?

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have the need to forward requests for about 30 zones to
a specific set of DNS servers and the rest of the world to
a different set of servers; what's the easiest way to
accomplish this? Please don't say it's the GUI, that is
VERY tedious! Is there a command interface I can use?
Thanks,
Dan

In news:132901c4e20c$f277d100$a501280a@phx.gbl,
Dan <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have the need to forward requests for about 30 zones to
> a specific set of DNS servers and the rest of the world to
> a different set of servers; what's the easiest way to
> accomplish this? Please don't say it's the GUI, that is
> VERY tedious! Is there a command interface I can use?
> Thanks,
> Dan

Is this Win2k?
You cannot do it any way with Win2k.
Win2k3 supports conditional forwarders and stub zones.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

As Kevin said, you cannot even do this with Win2000.

Conditional forwarding requires Win2003 and even
then you will likely need the GUI.

DNSCmd.exe (the command line tool for Windows DNS)
doesn't seem to fully support setting fowards, especially
conditional forwarding.

--
Herb Martin

"Dan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the need to forward requests for about 30 zones to
> a specific set of DNS servers and the rest of the world to
> a different set of servers; what's the easiest way to
> accomplish this? Please don't say it's the GUI, that is
> VERY tedious! Is there a command interface I can use?
> Thanks,
> Dan

> DNSCmd.exe (the command line tool for Windows DNS)
> doesn't seem to fully support setting fowards, especially
> conditional forwarding.

I used to think that, too ..... until I saw this on one of the lists I
participate in.

Dnscmd.exe <Server Name to create forwarder on> /zoneadd <Zone To
Conditionally Forward> /dsforwarder <Primary IP to forward to> /slave
<additional IPs to forward to> /DP <Directory Partition to store forwarder
in>

Learn new tricks everyday :)
--

Sincerely,

Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
www.readymaids.com - we know IT
www.akomolafe.com
Yesterday? -anon

"Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
> > DNSCmd.exe (the command line tool for Windows DNS)
> > doesn't seem to fully support setting fowards, especially
> > conditional forwarding.
>
> I used to think that, too ..... until I saw this on one of the lists I
> participate in.
>
> Dnscmd.exe <Server Name to create forwarder on> /zoneadd <Zone To
> Conditionally Forward> /dsforwarder <Primary IP to forward to> /slave
> <additional IPs to forward to> /DP <Directory Partition to store forwarder
> in>

Guess that's what I get for reading the help on
DNSCmd.

--
Herb Martin

In news:OFau9lj4EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Deji Akomolafe <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> made a post then I commented below
::: DNSCmd.exe (the command line tool for Windows DNS)
::: doesn't seem to fully support setting fowards, especially
::: conditional forwarding.
::
:: I used to think that, too ..... until I saw this on one of the lists
:: I participate in.
::
:: Dnscmd.exe <Server Name to create forwarder on> /zoneadd <Zone To
:: Conditionally Forward> /dsforwarder <Primary IP to forward to> /slave
:: <additional IPs to forward to> /DP <Directory Partition to store
:: forwarder in>
::
:: Learn new tricks everyday :)
:: --

Thanks Deji, now that is a new one! Awesome!

:)

--
Regards,
Ace