Switched On. Worked. Switched off. Now Nothing

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I just finished building my system. I switched it on. Everything started fine. Posted, said no system disk blah blah...

I then noticed the Heatsink fan wasn't spinning [Zalman 9500-AT]. So i switched it off. Now nothing, not a peep. It doesn't look like there is any power to the system at all.

Is my cpu fried? or is it something else? i can't see anything wrong with my system. I don't even get led lights or anything at all. This is my first build, and i'm really pissed. I took my time with this and made sure everything was ok.

The only thing that i saw is that the zalman hsf doesn't have a direct power connection to the psu unlike all other fans in the system. It simply connects to the mobo cpu fan socket with a 4 pin connector.

My System:
CPU: Conroe E6600
MOBO: Gigabyte DS3
RAM: Corsair XMS2 PC-6400C4

PLEASE HELP

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Ok, it seems the main ATX power connection on the mobo was a little loose. I put it down a little and the system powered up. Strange how it booted first time though. Anyways atleast the system is still working.

Now i just have the HSF not spinning problem. Does this mean the fan is dead? or doesn't it come on until it heats up or something?

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Anyone got an idea why zalman 9500-AT wouldn't be spinning? i checked the connection to the mobo cpu fan socket about 20 times. It's seated perfectly.

I thought it would be spinning all the time, even if it's at a low rpm?

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
According to the write up I read on the web, this cooler has a variable speed fan. Now I didn't see any mention of the fan turning off.
quote:
Low-noise 92mm PWM Control fan for automatic control of the fan's RPM according to CPU temperature;

I agree with "00h00m" you should try another power connection for the fan, and be sure you connected all wiring that may have come with it. My ThermalTake has a controller to control the fan RPM, but if you don't use it, you need to install a jumper on the connector to complete the circut so the fan runs constantly at top RPM.

bigsby

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
Depending on who makes your motherboard and other things, some mobos have this thing where your cpu fan doesn't turn on until your cpu gets to a certain temperature, which you can change in the bios. My friend has a DFI Lanparty board and a cnps9500 and he has it set to come on at 30C, it was set at i think 40 to 45 C at default. Because the zalman is a very efficient cooler, it only turns on once in a while, and only revs up and down a few times and then stays off for a few minutes. You might want to check the bios to see if it has anything like what I'm describing.