Newbie Question

We have intranet and the computer running as a webserver is down, how do you
configure the local DNS server to point it to another computer?

Thank you in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about newbie question

    "JOey" <JOey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    [Probably best to put something about your problem in the subject,
    if it is really a newbie question everyone will know <grin> ]

    > We have intranet and the computer running as a webserver is down, how do
    you
    > configure the local DNS server to point it to another computer?

    Change the DNS A (aka: Host) record for the web server
    to point to the replacement IP address of the working
    or replacement address.

    You could add a new record but that won't really work
    correct with both (working and broken) Address/Host
    records since SOME people would still be sent to the
    broken server.

    When it is fixed, just change it back.

    You may not realize that CACHING (and the TTL -- Time
    To Live) may play a role in how fast the change takes effect.

    DNS servers and newer clients (e.g., Win2K+) cache
    records they have resolved until the TTL expires or until
    you manually clear the caches.

    Perhaps you really were not asking how to change the DNS
    server to point to another computer in place of your web
    server though?

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thank you in advance.

    I am sorry if I confused with my question, to be more specific I am going to
    replace the old webserver with a new one with different computer name because
    we change our company name. I don't want to go to each client pc and change
    default homepage to the new one. How can I reconfigure our DNS server when
    they hit the old homepage to automatically point to the new one? Example is
    default homepage is http://oldserver.html I want this automatically to
    repoint to http://newserver.html

    Please Advice, Thank you

    > I am sorry if I confused with my question, to be more specific I am going
    > replace the old webserver with a new one with different computer name
    because
    > we change our company name.

    Don't worry about it -- except you won't get useful
    answers that way.

    > I don't want to go to each client pc and change
    > default homepage to the new one.

    It's doable through a Group Policy but I don't know
    if there is an IE setting to do it directly or if you
    must change something in the Registry directly
    (or add an Administrative template.)

    > How can I reconfigure our DNS server when
    > they hit the old homepage to automatically point to the new one?

    This is not really appropriate for DNS to do, but
    the method I gave you before will work -- change
    your DNS to point the old name to the new address.
    (Works only if the web server does not RELY on
    host headers or if you can add the old and new names
    as acceptable.)

    Do you still own the original name? If not, redirecting
    the old name to the new server may not be appropriate.

    If you do, why not just put up a referrel page that sends
    people from one to the other?

    > Example is
    > default homepage is http://oldserver.html I want this automatically to
    > repoint to http://newserver.html

    DNS does NOT do the above.

    Notice those are NOT DNS names but rather file
    URLs.

    DNS knows nothing about page names, only DNS
    names.

    File URLs must be redirected at the receiving Web
    servers through HTML or other code.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Please Advice, Thank you
    >
    > "Herb Martin" wrote:
    >
    > > "JOey" <JOey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > [Probably best to put something about your problem in the subject,
    > > if it is really a newbie question everyone will know <grin> ]
    > >
    > > > We have intranet and the computer running as a webserver is down, how
    do
    > > you
    > > > configure the local DNS server to point it to another computer?
    > >
    > > Change the DNS A (aka: Host) record for the web server
    > > to point to the replacement IP address of the working
    > > or replacement address.
    > >
    > > You could add a new record but that won't really work
    > > correct with both (working and broken) Address/Host
    > > records since SOME people would still be sent to the
    > > broken server.
    > >
    > > When it is fixed, just change it back.
    > >
    > > You may not realize that CACHING (and the TTL -- Time
    > > To Live) may play a role in how fast the change takes effect.
    > >
    > > DNS servers and newer clients (e.g., Win2K+) cache
    > > records they have resolved until the TTL expires or until
    > > you manually clear the caches.
    > >
    > > Perhaps you really were not asking how to change the DNS
    > > server to point to another computer in place of your web
    > > server though?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Herb Martin
    > >

    > > > Thank you in advance.