Need a link to setup redundant DNS in same LAN

I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS services in the
same LAN, but I'm not wording my searches properly on the MS search
site. Anyone got a link book marked?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

lee

howto:setup dns
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323445
Lee

> I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS services in the
> same LAN, but I'm not wording my searches properly on the MS search
> site. Anyone got a link book marked?

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

In news:MPG.1c2b49a61769d37989cc5@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS
> services in the same LAN, but I'm not wording my searches
> properly on the MS search site. Anyone got a link book
> marked?

Is this an Active Directory domain?
As long as you use DCs for DNS (Win2k) or if you use Forest Wide replication
(Win2k3) all you need is DNS installed and to store the zones in Active
Directory. Zones stored in Active Directory are replicated to at least all
DCs in the domain and do not require action from you.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

In article <OxdWby24EHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, leweb2000
@hotmail.com says...
> howto:setup dns
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323445
> Lee

Thanks, but it only addresses setting up a single DNS server, and
configuring the options for the single DNS server. What I'm looking for
is the one on running TWO DNS Servers in the same network and having
them replicate DNS information between them so that if one server is
down the other is used. I know that I have to setup DNS in the DHCP
scope so that the clients get the IP of both internal DNS servers, or
manually on other systems that don't use DHCP, but I can't find the MS
article that clearly shows how to configure "redundant" DNS servers in
the same network.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS services in the
> > same LAN, but I'm not wording my searches properly on the MS search
> > site. Anyone got a link book marked?

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

In article <uIryFr34EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, admin@nospam.WFTX.US
says...
> In news:MPG.1c2b49a61769d37989cc5@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
> Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS
> > services in the same LAN, but I'm not wording my searches
> > properly on the MS search site. Anyone got a link book
> > marked?
>
> Is this an Active Directory domain?
> As long as you use DCs for DNS (Win2k) or if you use Forest Wide replication
> (Win2k3) all you need is DNS installed and to store the zones in Active
> Directory. Zones stored in Active Directory are replicated to at least all
> DCs in the domain and do not require action from you.

Thanks, that's how I've done it in the past, and will continue to do it,
but I needed a link to a MS document for a client.

You also need to make sure that both DNS servers are pointed to or when
the primary fails the secondary won't be looked at by the clients.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

In news:MPG.1c2b686212f0f71989cca@news-server.columbus.rr.com,
Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> In article <uIryFr34EHA.2192@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
> admin@nospam.WFTX.US says...
>> In
>> Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> commented
>> Then Kevin replied below:
>>> I'm looking for a MS article on setting up redundant DNS
>>> services in the same LAN, but I'm not wording my
>>> searches properly on the MS search site. Anyone got a
>>> link book marked?
>>
>> Is this an Active Directory domain?
>> As long as you use DCs for DNS (Win2k) or if you use
>> Forest Wide replication (Win2k3) all you need is DNS
>> installed and to store the zones in Active Directory.
>> Zones stored in Active Directory are replicated to at
>> least all DCs in the domain and do not require action
>> from you.
>
> Thanks, that's how I've done it in the past, and will
> continue to do it, but I needed a link to a MS document
> for a client.
>
> You also need to make sure that both DNS servers are
> pointed to or when the primary fails the secondary won't
> be looked at by the clients.
>
> --

825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP