Connecting two seperate forests?

Can I for requests for another zone from my dns server to that dns server
for a single zone. The example would be:

myzone.dns.com needs to know about therezone.dns.com. Can I configure my dns
to look on another specific dns server for a particular zone? I managed to
ask the questions 3 times, just to make sure this was clear...

Thx

In news:eNGytTj5EHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
LWG <lgovedi1@address.is.invalid> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Can I for requests for another zone from my dns server to
> that dns server for a single zone. The example would be:
>
> myzone.dns.com needs to know about therezone.dns.com. Can
> I configure my dns to look on another specific dns server
> for a particular zone? I managed to ask the questions 3
> times, just to make sure this was clear...

Win2k or Win2k3?
Win2k3 is easier you just have to add the other domain to the conditional
forwarders list on the forwarders tab or add a stub zone.
Win2k DNS requires you to pull a secondary zone to your DNS server.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

"LWG" <lgovedi1@address.is.invalid> wrote in message
> Can I for requests for another zone from my dns server to that dns server
> for a single zone. The example would be:

Assume you mean "forward requests"....

> myzone.dns.com needs to know about therezone.dns.com. Can I configure my
dns
> to look on another specific dns server for a particular zone? I managed to
> ask the questions 3 times, just to make sure this was clear...

Two main ways in Win2000:

1) create a zone for the PARENT, and properly delegate
the child zones, arrange for the DNS servers to find OR
hold the parent -- this is standard DNS methodology

2) Have each DNS server hold "cross secondaries" for the
other needed sibling, or even unrelated zones

#2 works fine for small numbers or (fairly) small zones but
is tedious with many zones and can cause uneeded replication
for large zones.

Win2003 introduces two new DNS Server features which
address the issue: Stub Zones and Conditional Forwarding

--
Herb Martin

> Thx

In news:%23ydQMZl5EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> "LWG" <lgovedi1@address.is.invalid> wrote in message
>> Can I for requests for another zone from my dns server
>> to that dns server for a single zone. The example would
>> be:
>
> Assume you mean "forward requests"....
>
>> myzone.dns.com needs to know about therezone.dns.com.
>> Can I configure my dns to look on another specific dns
>> server for a particular zone? I managed to ask the
>> questions 3 times, just to make sure this was clear...
>
> Two main ways in Win2000:
>
> 1) create a zone for the PARENT, and properly delegate
> the child zones, arrange for the DNS servers to
> find OR hold the parent -- this is standard DNS
> methodology
>
> 2) Have each DNS server hold "cross secondaries" for
> the other needed sibling, or even unrelated zones
>
> #2 works fine for small numbers or (fairly) small zones
> but
> is tedious with many zones and can cause uneeded
> replication for large zones.

This is fine for parent-child related domains, not for separate forests as
the OP requested.
Separate forests require secondary zones on Win2k.

--

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message

> This is fine for parent-child related domains, not for separate forests as
> the OP requested.
> Separate forests require secondary zones on Win2k.

Separate forests or not, the example he gave was for
sibling DNS zone in the same dns.com tree:

myzone.dns.com
therezone.dns.com

In this example the common parent DNS.com exists.

Technically it would also work for .com as the common
parent but one would give up the (general) forwarding ability
and therefore most people would find it unsuitable.

--
Herb Martin