Sign in with
Your question

Are my e6400 temps safe or am I wayyy hot? Mild overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
August 18, 2006 1:53:52 AM

I think having to pull the heat sink when I installed and redo it terminally screwed up the crappy Intel thermal paste.

On stock my temps are ok, at load with an e6400 I don't go above 55 even in an 80F room. But overclocking, I'm not too happy.

Running Super PI at 325x8 I get 60-62c. Idle with Speedstep enabled keeps me at 54c. However Orthos Beta (the dual Prime 95 software) will run me to 72c, which is clearly insane. But I ran it for 10 minutes and didn't get any errors. You'd think if the temps were accurate, the heat would cause errors. Of course with Super PI and Prime95 I am stable, but I will have to leave Prime95 on overnight to check.

So I guess I can't push this any higher, but can I safely run at 2600 at least until I get better cooling? When I play games at this speed when I exit I never see temps above 62c - only Orthos is able to stress the CPU that much.

Incidentally if anyone is interested I have Corsair DDR2 6400 (5-5-5-12). Overclocked more than 200mhz and I have to drop it to a 1:1 ratio for some reason or I can't boot into Windows. This doesn't make sense to me because even at 325 (memory 750) I am still way under 800mhz. I am guessing this is some kind of stupid divider issue in my P5B Deluxe BIOS, as I don't see any reason these sticks wouldn't be able to run at this speed just because the FSB is at 325 and not 266. At stock speed I have no issues, I can leave it at 800 MHZ. Any ideas there?

Thanks for any tips.
August 18, 2006 2:37:03 AM

i would just make sure the hs/f is placed on properly.. lga 775 fans seem to require a bit more work to attach properly. other than that... it may be time to invest in artic silver or a new cooling solution if those temps keep up. Also, some sensors in boards are shot to begin with so you might need a bios update to get the correct temps.
August 18, 2006 3:03:38 AM

Rule #1-

IF you EVER seperate a component from the heatsink, CPU/Gpu, ALWAYS clean and reapply the thermal compound.

Contrary to opinions. the Intel retail paste and cooler do a fsirly adequate job of cooling. Middle to upper 3/4 of most tests.

But as soon as you seperate the two, the paste never fills the remaining voids.

Get some quality paste, clean the two pieces, reapply the paste, burn in and get on with life with temps in the low 40s.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 19, 2006 12:10:18 PM

According to this threadon Extreme Forums, the error maybe in the BIOS not reading the sensors correctly and not my application of the heatsink.

Still that sounds like a good idea to redo the heat sink.

I will have to run some more tests to see if the throttling kicks in at "high" temperatures.
August 23, 2006 10:15:04 AM

It certainly shouldn't be that hot, mate. My E6300 tops out at about 40*C and it's running at 375*7 with the stock cooler. If the heatsink reapplication doesn't fix it, then it may very well be the BIOS. What vcore are you operating at?
August 23, 2006 4:15:49 PM

Well, crap.

I put some Arctic Silver on but I cleaned the processor with Goo Gone and the noticed you're just supposed to use rubbing alcohol on the processor. That shouldn't make this big a difference though.

So now my temps at STOCK e6400 idle speed is 48-50c and I can't run at dual load because the throttling kicks in at 84c.

So I can totally forget overclocking...

The heat sink is attached fine, doesn't budge. Maybe my processor is bad, I might try calling Intel and complaining about it...
August 24, 2006 3:41:55 AM

If I were you I'd try giving Asus a call and then if there's no luck there call Intel. I don't know what the laws are regarding returns where you live, but if you've just bought it and one of those manufacturers confirm a problem with the CPU or mobo, then the store you bought it from might swap it over. In Australia that's the law, don't know about where you live though :) .
August 24, 2006 10:58:16 AM

Quote:
Well, crap.

I put some Arctic Silver on but I cleaned the processor with Goo Gone and the noticed you're just supposed to use rubbing alcohol on the processor. That shouldn't make this big a difference though.

So now my temps at STOCK e6400 idle speed is 48-50c and I can't run at dual load because the throttling kicks in at 84c.

So I can totally forget overclocking...

The heat sink is attached fine, doesn't budge. Maybe my processor is bad, I might try calling Intel and complaining about it...

Nasty. 84 C is too high. Verify if the reading is correct by touching the heat sink. At this temp, it will feel very very hot.
August 24, 2006 12:58:48 PM

Hmm, well I pulled it off again. It looks to me like it is not making good contact, as the heat sink only had thermal paste in the upper right hand corner (looking at it from below.) So I tried rotating the heat sink 90 degrees, so the Intel brand name is right side up and added a bit more thermal paste since I have read that if you don't have great contact more thermal paste can help. After running at load the heat sink was definitely not very hot. But Everest showed throttling at 84c so I don't think the heat sensor is off...I guess it still could be.

Now at dual load it maxes out at 68c, which is much better, but not great. Idle's in low 50s...

I think the mounting system sucks, I liked the 478 mount much better, at least you knew that sucker was on.

Anyone think much of the Arctic 7 cooler? I have seen one review that it beats the stock cooler, and another that it was worse...I don't want a monster heat sink...
August 25, 2006 12:43:56 PM

Quote:
according to this website the max temp for the e6400 is 62c.
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
scroll down towards the bottom.

Oh believe me, it can go way above that! My E6600 ran at 90C before I finally solved my heatsink problem. 4 distinctive clicks means its in, any less and its not.

I'm currently running Prime95, 340x9 @ around 1.3V (it goes either side of that as and when it feels like, much like the rated FSB jumps around a tiny bit). Temp's haven't reached 50C yet, around 45-46 atm.
August 25, 2006 1:43:54 PM

Yeah, I got the clicks, but one seems weird...I got more of a thump/click.

Anyway I ordered an Artic 7 Freezer Pro. Good price for the performance you get it seems.

One more question - does anyone have any opinion on proper Arctic Silver application? Now their website, which doesn't talk specifically about Core 2s says to apply it in a thin wafer just to the processor. But I read some people just apply a dollop and then press down...
!