Private address registered in DNS

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

We have a remote DC with a private address and need to allow replication.

We have configured our servers to use the public address of the router at
the remote site and everything works correctly until the remote server
registers its private address in AD DNS.

How do we prevent our servers attempting to contact the remote server on its
private address?

In news:%23VgOVA25EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Simon <reply@togroup.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> We have a remote DC with a private address and need to
> allow replication.
>
> We have configured our servers to use the public address
> of the router at the remote site and everything works
> correctly until the remote server registers its private
> address in AD DNS.
>
> How do we prevent our servers attempting to contact the
> remote server on its private address?

You shouldn't, you should set up a VPN connection between the sites so you
don't have to turn your firewall into Swiss cheese and the servers can
communicate with their private addresses.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]