How Do I Make HP LaserJet Stop Reprinting on Error?

TC

At my office, I have an HP LaserJet 5SiNX. It is a good printer, and
reliable. When an error occurs, however, it responds by reprinting the
entire document from the beginning. I would like to change this
behavior. How can I configure the printer so it stops printing when an
error occurs, rather than reprinting?

There are times when a difficult page at the end of a document causes
the document to go into an endless cycle of error and reprint. I have
seen a 50 page document cause the printer to burn through an entire
ream of 500 pages.

-TC

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

In general--
Two things need to happen.
1. The printer must stop printing.
2. The spool (Job) file must be deleted.
3. The printer may have data in it's memory that will print when the printer
is back on line. You can clear this by resetting the printer or turning off
the printer and possibly unplugging it when all else fails.

There were a lot of variables that seemed to be based upon the flavors of
the 5, driver versions, local vsd lan, lan server queue vs jetdirect, and
all that.

For instance, a lan environment with a server may allow the printer queue to
be flushed and the printer reset remotely.
This is also possible with some driver versions when the printer is locally
connected to a PC. You may be able to bring up the printer window via
settings printer & faxes, Pause the job, or cancel it, and then turn off or
reset the printer, possibly followed by a delete the job selection.

We used to see this kind of problem on lan based printers when a user sent a
postscript job via a printer queue that was setup for a non postscript mode.
This would result in one or two lines of scrambled characters per page for
many many pages until the printer was taken off line and things were reset.
(Multiple mode printers used seperate queues for each mode.)

I'm not sure what you refer to when you mentioned "difficult page(s) ",
other than problems seem to occur on specific pages within a document.