RJ45 connectors with a larger "gate"?

Archived from groups: comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

hello folks,

we have started purchasing CAT5e/6 and MediaTwist bulk cable for
making our own patch cables. however, with some (but not all) of the
CAT6 and MediaTwist cable we find it very hard to correctly terminate
the RJ45 modular plug because the entrance/gate to the plug is a
little narrow for the thicker cabling. this makes it hard to push all
the way into the jack and results in poorer connections.

can anyone suggest a RJ45 modular plug that might have a bigger cable
enterance to better accommodate thicker ethernet cable? i searched
around the web/usenet, but alas i didn't find anything specific to my
problem.

we are currently using a MilesTek crimper and Ideal Industries RJ45
plugs.

any info would be appreciated.

take care,
alex
4 answers Last reply
More about rj45 connectors larger gate
  1. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    putt454@yahoo.com (alex) wrote in message news:<7eeb4181.0409221822.5ea94f@posting.google.com>...
    > hello folks,
    >
    > we have started purchasing CAT5e/6 and MediaTwist bulk cable for
    > making our own patch cables. however, with some (but not all) of the
    > CAT6 and MediaTwist cable we find it very hard to correctly terminate
    > the RJ45 modular plug because the entrance/gate to the plug is a
    > little narrow for the thicker cabling. this makes it hard to push all
    > the way into the jack and results in poorer connections.
    >
    > can anyone suggest a RJ45 modular plug that might have a bigger cable
    > enterance to better accommodate thicker ethernet cable? i searched
    > around the web/usenet, but alas i didn't find anything specific to my
    > problem.
    >
    > we are currently using a MilesTek crimper and Ideal Industries RJ45
    > plugs.
    >
    > any info would be appreciated.
    >
    > take care,
    > alex

    I can't really understand why you are wasting the time and effort to
    make patch cables by hand. Factory made patch cables are available in
    bulk for as little as $2.50 for some of the more inexpensive ones. If
    you figure the cost of the connectors, the cable and finally the labor
    involved in making a 1 meter cable, it is probably more than the cost
    of a bulk purchased cable.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    putt454@yahoo.com (alex) wrote:
    >CAT6 and MediaTwist cable we find it very hard to correctly terminate
    >the RJ45 modular plug because the entrance/gate to the plug is a
    >little narrow for the thicker cabling. this makes it hard to push all
    >the way into the jack and results in poorer connections.

    L-Com used to have a bunch of different options for square versus
    rounded cable entrances to the plug, you might try them...

    Look for "Radiused Cable Entrance", though they aren't Cat-n rated,
    they might be able to find something that is, looks like they get the
    Raduised stuff and their CAT6 stuff from Stewart Connector.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    alex wrote:

    > hello folks,

    > we have started purchasing CAT5e/6 and MediaTwist bulk cable for
    > making our own patch cables. however, with some (but not all) of the
    > CAT6 and MediaTwist cable we find it very hard to correctly terminate
    > the RJ45 modular plug because the entrance/gate to the plug is a
    > little narrow for the thicker cabling. this makes it hard to push all
    > the way into the jack and results in poorer connections.

    > can anyone suggest a RJ45 modular plug that might have a bigger cable
    > enterance to better accommodate thicker ethernet cable? i searched
    > around the web/usenet, but alas i didn't find anything specific to my
    > problem.

    > we are currently using a MilesTek crimper and Ideal Industries RJ45
    > plugs.

    > any info would be appreciated.

    > take care,
    > alex

    Hi Alex,

    You sound like you are opening a business of making patch cords ;-). If
    that's the case, I suggest that you get one of those AMP/Tyco motorized
    crimpers, and while talking to the sales person, have them give all the
    info you need about the compatible plugs.

    If this is just an occasional patch cord making, I would suggest that you
    skip doing that and buy factory-made ones. These are REALLY cheap these
    days. A one-minute search on the Internet will yield dozens places where
    you can buy them for cheap with reasonable quality.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - messages and counting!
  4. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.cabling,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Justin Time <a_user2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > you figure the cost of the connectors, the cable and finally the labor
    > involved in making a 1 meter cable, it is probably more than the cost
    > of a bulk purchased cable.

    Not to mention that commercial cables are far more reliable than
    homemade ones.

    -Larry Jones

    Let's just sit here a moment... and savor the impending terror. -- Calvin

Ethernet Card Cable Networking