Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DNS stops reponding?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 5:34:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I have a issue where my Win2003 server which is running DNS just seems
to stop responding to requests randomly. I will try a tracert to some
of the sites hosted on this box, and get nothing back. Once the machine
is restarted, it works fine.

I've checked the event logs for DNS errors, and don't find any. Its
running on a P4 2.8gig hyper-threaded CPU, so I don't think its a
problem with the processor or machine getting overloaded with requests.

I've also checked the DNS settings, timeouts, etc (using DNSreport.com)
and it says all looks good)

Any suggestions, or I can provide more info if needed.

Steve

More about : dns stops reponding

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:15:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:e6faXT65EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have a issue where my Win2003 server which is running DNS just seems
> to stop responding to requests randomly. I will try a tracert to some
> of the sites hosted on this box, and get nothing back. Once the machine
> is restarted, it works fine.

First, this isn't likely a DNS problem since you
seem to be resolving names (tracert doesn't really
begin until you get the name resolved.)

Although no one much minds if you can get help you
have also posted a Win2003 problem to a Win2000
newsgroup but we will try to help anyway...

> I've checked the event logs for DNS errors, and don't find any. Its
> running on a P4 2.8gig hyper-threaded CPU, so I don't think its a
> problem with the processor or machine getting overloaded with requests.

Do you get the intermediate router responses?

Does the name resolve to an IP?

> I've also checked the DNS settings, timeouts, etc (using DNSreport.com)
> and it says all looks good)

But you seem to be having trouble with general responses
(tracert) or your web sites rather than DNS specifically...

> Any suggestions, or I can provide more info if needed.

Figure precisely what is not working. All of the server,
one service (e.g., just DNS or web)

What is the server DOING when you logon there locally?


--
Herb Martin


>
> Steve
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:15:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Herb Martin wrote:
> "Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:e6faXT65EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>I have a issue where my Win2003 server which is running DNS just seems
>>to stop responding to requests randomly. I will try a tracert to some
>>of the sites hosted on this box, and get nothing back. Once the machine
>>is restarted, it works fine.
>
>
> First, this isn't likely a DNS problem since you
> seem to be resolving names (tracert doesn't really
> begin until you get the name resolved.)

Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.


>
> Although no one much minds if you can get help you
> have also posted a Win2003 problem to a Win2000
> newsgroup but we will try to help anyway...
>
>
>>I've checked the event logs for DNS errors, and don't find any. Its
>>running on a P4 2.8gig hyper-threaded CPU, so I don't think its a
>>problem with the processor or machine getting overloaded with requests.
>
>
> Do you get the intermediate router responses?
>
> Does the name resolve to an IP?

The name (when it does resolve) does resolve to a IP, yes.

>
>
>>I've also checked the DNS settings, timeouts, etc (using DNSreport.com)
>>and it says all looks good)
>
>
> But you seem to be having trouble with general responses
> (tracert) or your web sites rather than DNS specifically...
>
>
>>Any suggestions, or I can provide more info if needed.
>
>
> Figure precisely what is not working. All of the server,
> one service (e.g., just DNS or web)
>
> What is the server DOING when you logon there locally?
>
>
Its seems that when this problem is occuring, DNS and IIS stop responding.

I'm haven't actually been at the server when the problem is occuring,
I'll call and have someone simply restart the box, and the problem stops.

Steve
Related resources
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 8:04:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

> Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
> nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.

Generally when one uses tracert it is because they
have already tried ping or some other tool and
can see that the name is resolving -- tracert if primarily
for seeking the PLACE along the (routed) path
where the message is being lost.

And anytime you have a connectivity problem you
should try the NAME vs. the actual IP address --
if name fails while IP works you do in fact have
some type of name resolution problem.

Have you tried direct queries to the DNS server
using NSLookup?

Do you know which DNS server your client machine
is using?

Have you tried to isolate the DNS issue?

--
Herb Martin


"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o WjHm#65EHA.796@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
> > "Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:e6faXT65EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>I have a issue where my Win2003 server which is running DNS just seems
> >>to stop responding to requests randomly. I will try a tracert to some
> >>of the sites hosted on this box, and get nothing back. Once the machine
> >>is restarted, it works fine.
> >
> >
> > First, this isn't likely a DNS problem since you
> > seem to be resolving names (tracert doesn't really
> > begin until you get the name resolved.)
>
> Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
> nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.
>
>
> >
> > Although no one much minds if you can get help you
> > have also posted a Win2003 problem to a Win2000
> > newsgroup but we will try to help anyway...
> >
> >
> >>I've checked the event logs for DNS errors, and don't find any. Its
> >>running on a P4 2.8gig hyper-threaded CPU, so I don't think its a
> >>problem with the processor or machine getting overloaded with requests.
> >
> >
> > Do you get the intermediate router responses?
> >
> > Does the name resolve to an IP?
>
> The name (when it does resolve) does resolve to a IP, yes.
>
> >
> >
> >>I've also checked the DNS settings, timeouts, etc (using DNSreport.com)
> >>and it says all looks good)
> >
> >
> > But you seem to be having trouble with general responses
> > (tracert) or your web sites rather than DNS specifically...
> >
> >
> >>Any suggestions, or I can provide more info if needed.
> >
> >
> > Figure precisely what is not working. All of the server,
> > one service (e.g., just DNS or web)
> >
> > What is the server DOING when you logon there locally?
> >
> >
> Its seems that when this problem is occuring, DNS and IIS stop responding.
>
> I'm haven't actually been at the server when the problem is occuring,
> I'll call and have someone simply restart the box, and the problem stops.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 8:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Herb Martin wrote:
>>Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
>>nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.
>
>
> Generally when one uses tracert it is because they
> have already tried ping or some other tool and
> can see that the name is resolving -- tracert if primarily
> for seeking the PLACE along the (routed) path
> where the message is being lost.
>

I always use the name, never the IP.

> And anytime you have a connectivity problem you
> should try the NAME vs. the actual IP address --
> if name fails while IP works you do in fact have
> some type of name resolution problem.
>
> Have you tried direct queries to the DNS server
> using NSLookup?

I haven't tried it when the problem is occuring, but in general, it
reports back the correct DNS server.

>
> Do you know which DNS server your client machine
> is using?

No, I don't. Its a work machine.

>
> Have you tried to isolate the DNS issue?
>

Aside from checking the DNS event log files, not sure how to isolate the
issue, I guess that's the sort of help I was hoping to find!! :) 

Steve
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 9:35:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:#2R$9X75EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
> >>Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
> >>nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.
> >
> >
> > Generally when one uses tracert it is because they
> > have already tried ping or some other tool and
> > can see that the name is resolving -- tracert if primarily
> > for seeking the PLACE along the (routed) path
> > where the message is being lost.
> >

> > And anytime you have a connectivity problem you
> > should try the NAME vs. the actual IP address --
> > if name fails while IP works you do in fact have
> > some type of name resolution problem.

> I always use the name, never the IP.

So now you have learned one of the most important IP
troubleshooting methods: name vs. IP

> > Do you know which DNS server your client machine
> > is using?
>
> No, I don't. Its a work machine.

You will likely need this kind of info to isolate the
problem.

> > Have you tried to isolate the DNS issue?
>
> Aside from checking the DNS event log files, not sure how to isolate the
> issue, I guess that's the sort of help I was hoping to find!! :) 

Name vs. IP, specific tools like NSLookup etc.

--
Herb Martin


>
> Steve
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 1:40:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%232R$9X75EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Have you tried direct queries to the DNS server
>> using NSLookup?
>
> I haven't tried it when the problem is occuring, but in general, it
> reports back the correct DNS server.

Nslookup is reporting this when you invoke it?
Which server is that?


>> Do you know which DNS server your client machine
>> is using?
>
> No, I don't. Its a work machine.

Now I'm confused. You just said it (assuming "nslookup"), reports the
correct DNS server above. Nslookup in this case just told you which DNS
server it's using, unless I am misunderstanding something here.

Just an FYI, you can also do an ipconfig /all on the client machine and it
will tell you which DNS server(s) it's using.



--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
Please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroups
so all can benefit.

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees
and confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSE+I, MCT, MVP
Microsoft Windows MVP - Windows Server - Directory Services

Security Is Like An Onion, It Has Layers
HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 2:05:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Hi Steve

Perhaps you could just restart the dns server service to confirm that this
is the issue rather than rebooting the entire machine?

Kind regards
--
Mark Renoden [MSFT]
Windows Platform Support Team
Email: markreno@online.microsoft.com

Please note you'll need to strip ".online" from my email address to email
me; I'll post a response back to the group.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Steve Grosz" <boise_bound@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%232R$9X75EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Herb Martin wrote:
>>>Let me clarify, when I'm having this problem, and try a tracert, I get
>>>nothing back, so the name isn't being resolved.
>>
>>
>> Generally when one uses tracert it is because they
>> have already tried ping or some other tool and
>> can see that the name is resolving -- tracert if primarily
>> for seeking the PLACE along the (routed) path
>> where the message is being lost.
>>
>
> I always use the name, never the IP.
>
>> And anytime you have a connectivity problem you
>> should try the NAME vs. the actual IP address --
>> if name fails while IP works you do in fact have
>> some type of name resolution problem.
>>
>> Have you tried direct queries to the DNS server
>> using NSLookup?
>
> I haven't tried it when the problem is occuring, but in general, it
> reports back the correct DNS server.
>
>>
>> Do you know which DNS server your client machine
>> is using?
>
> No, I don't. Its a work machine.
>
>>
>> Have you tried to isolate the DNS issue?
>>
>
> Aside from checking the DNS event log files, not sure how to isolate the
> issue, I guess that's the sort of help I was hoping to find!! :) 
>
> Steve
!