DNS problem???

Hi,

A friend of mine is having problems using the Internet via hix WinXP system.

Basically, what we found is that if he accesses a site using the actual IP
address, he can get to the site. If, OTOH, he types in the actual domain
name, he cannot access the site. I think he is somehow having a DNS (Domain
Name Service) problem. I verified the settings he has in his TCP/IP
properties. He has the option checked to "Obtain DNS server address
automatically" which he always had selected. He also has the option checked
to "Obtain IP address automatically". These appear to be the proper
settings, yet somehow he has lost the ability to resolve domain names to
actual IP addresses.

FWIW, he accesses the Internet using DSL.

Can you please suggest other settings that I should check or provide some
other means to resolve this DNS issue for him?

Thanks in advance,
E.A.

In news:5tadnba13Nj-oFfcRVn-og@rcn.net,
Whyme <whyme@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>
> A friend of mine is having problems using the Internet
> via hix WinXP system.
>
> Basically, what we found is that if he accesses a site
> using the actual IP address, he can get to the site. If,
> OTOH, he types in the actual domain name, he cannot
> access the site. I think he is somehow having a DNS
> (Domain Name Service) problem. I verified the settings
> he has in his TCP/IP properties. He has the option
> checked to "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
> which he always had selected. He also has the option
> checked to "Obtain IP address automatically". These
> appear to be the proper settings, yet somehow he has lost
> the ability to resolve domain names to actual IP
> addresses.
>
> FWIW, he accesses the Internet using DSL.
>
> Can you please suggest other settings that I should check
> or provide some other means to resolve this DNS issue for
> him?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> E.A.

Does nslookup work?
Does it resolve names?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

you are correct on your assumption that if you can get to a site via ip and
not
name it is a dns issue.
verify ip of dns on comp by ipconfig /all
make sure its the same as the dsl company
rs

"Whyme" <whyme@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> A friend of mine is having problems using the Internet via hix WinXP
> system.
>
> Basically, what we found is that if he accesses a site using the actual IP
> address, he can get to the site. If, OTOH, he types in the actual domain
> name, he cannot access the site. I think he is somehow having a DNS
> (Domain
> Name Service) problem. I verified the settings he has in his TCP/IP
> properties. He has the option checked to "Obtain DNS server address
> automatically" which he always had selected. He also has the option
> checked
> to "Obtain IP address automatically". These appear to be the proper
> settings, yet somehow he has lost the ability to resolve domain names to
> actual IP addresses.
>
> FWIW, he accesses the Internet using DSL.
>
> Can you please suggest other settings that I should check or provide some
> other means to resolve this DNS issue for him?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> E.A.

More than likely it's an MTU issue, as usual with ADSL. If you can ping the
name, and it resolves, then it's obviously not a DNS issue.

MTU - How to test and how to set in registry:
http://gw.renner.bei.t-online.de/windowsxp/mtu.htm

--
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!
so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

In news:0Cryd.688$7f3.14@fe07.lga,
roger steele <rsteele@charter.net> made a post then I commented below
:: you are correct on your assumption that if you can get to a site via
:: ip and not
:: name it is a dns issue.
:: verify ip of dns on comp by ipconfig /all
:: make sure its the same as the dsl company
:: rs

Actually Roger, that hasn't been discretely determined yet because nslookup
or ping hasn't been mentioned and assumed hasn't been tried by Whyme (the
original poster). He has just mentioned only using IE in his diagnosis,
which is only a part of diagnosing this issue. We'll need to know if ping or
nslookup can resolve names to diagnose this. If we can find out if ping or
nslookup will resolve names, then we can rule out a DNS issue.

If nslookup or ping can resolve names, and IE cannot, then it's an MTU
problem, which is a very common issue with ADSL.

Ace