Total: 13 votes

• Dual 7800GTX
  • 8 %
  • Single 7950GX2--MAYBE a second in the future
  • 85 %
  • Dual 7900GT KO
  • 8 %
August 18, 2006 2:46:31 AM

Well I'm sort of in a rut. Here's the jist. I have a eVGA 7800GTX in my system now. I just received eVGA 7900GT KO from a local retailer for 20 dollars :)  (unopened, winner of a 250 dollar certificate). I want a 7950GX2.

So heres the thing:

Should I refund the 7900GT KO for my money and just buy a second 7800GTX for SLI.

Or should I refund and get a 7950GX2 and sell my 7800GTX to my friend for maybe 100.

Or should I sell 7800GTX and get a second 7900GT KO for SLI.

I'm probably going to have to wait till Christmas before a second 7900GT KO or that monster 7950GX2. :cry: 

Is the 7950GX2 reliable in SLI? I read they didn't even have drivers for it and they have beta now? Good for games or no go yet? Is it two 7900s sandwiched together? I haven't figured it out yet. Except the cost :( 

Also what about these new cards? I read a few posts about people advising to wait for them, should I?...Will they still use PCI-E 16x? What else will they require? Anyone know if I could possibly pop one, maybe two into my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe? I just caught up with the news when I was called upon to configure a Comp for a friend. It's late so I can't do any research tonight so I post here and check tomarrow.

Thanks

More about : choices

August 18, 2006 5:36:33 AM

I would do none of those things. I would first see which is better between the 7800gtx and the 7900gt(i believe the 7900 is better) and see the one thats worse. Then save that money. Then when DX10 cards come out i would sell the better card i kept and with that money and the saved money buy a DX10 card. Either of those cards are good, and will definatly hold you over till DX10. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2006 5:42:26 AM

I agree that was what ran through my head first too.

Unless there's a game he can't play comfortably at his desired setting on either, then I'd sell the one I didn't want to keep and then wait for the next gen cards to see what's what first.
Related resources
August 18, 2006 12:43:47 PM

what exactly is directx10. I going to research it right now, maybe someone can explain some fancy stuff I wouldn't find during a quick search? And the main question: will it work with todays Mobos/software? and how much better are these cards? and how much more are these new cards... 8O

sorry I haven't looked into it yet but I will now.
August 18, 2006 12:45:08 PM

You should add the "None of the above" option in your poll. NextGen cards are just a couple of months away....
August 18, 2006 1:17:25 PM

Quote:
You should add the "None of the above" option in your poll. NextGen cards are just a couple of months away....

R600 for teh win
August 18, 2006 1:33:16 PM

well, i looked up directx10 and instant wood. :oops:  i AM planning on getting vista and now after seeing sexy directx10 its a definite. i guess what im going to do is open this 7900GT KO, plop it into my computer, put my 7800GTX in my dads computer, and just wait for the new cards.

@x1900xtcooler--i just read about it, i havent seen the nvidia counterpart but it looks hawt!

so anyone can give a estimate of the price of these new cards? windows vista is probably going to have me selling my wallet for money. what about these new cards? and i still havent looked into any compatibilty problems, gotta see if my Asus A8N32 SLI-Deluxe will even support vista or even dx10 cards. curse you rapid advancements of technology!! i need a job :evil: 
August 19, 2006 8:22:37 AM

DX10... DX10...
dont get too excited just yet about it, no games will support it (of course theyll run but they wont use nearly all their features) until Q1 2008 probably. Stay put where you are with the 7900GT unless you dont play some game confortably as someone said.
You may get Vista the day of the release but be careful about DX10 cards since they wont be very compatible and might be overpriced at first (like any new technology), wait until some freakishly awesome DX10 games are avaible, by then the price of the cards will have lowered and theyll be more stable, to upgrade to DX10 cards. A 7900GT should last you long enough until then.
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2006 8:57:45 AM

Quote:
DX10... DX10...
dont get too excited just yet about it, no games will support it (of course theyll run but they wont use nearly all their features) until Q1 2008 probably.

Which is why I like to use the term NextGen cards because as I've mentioned before, it's not that it's DX10 that makes them better but that they will be more powerful (more fill rate / bandwidth / etc.), just like the GF7800/X1800 vs GF6800/X800 vs R9700 vs R8500/GF4ti.

Quote:
Stay put where you are with the 7900GT unless you dont play some game confortably as someone said.

Which is different than DX10.
Anywhoo, the end result is the same, don't spend money to buy some overkiller rig right now, stick with the card that plays the app well until there's a NEED or a very good reason to upgrade.

Quote:
You may get Vista the day of the release but be careful about DX10 cards since they wont be very compatible

Compatible with what? The next gen cards will be as fully compatible as current cards, if not more (G80 add FP16HDR+AA / R600 to add vertex texturing?).
August 20, 2006 2:49:51 AM

Dude the more you pay the better the graphics will be, and directx10 games a re a long ways away so spend that cash.
!