Your question

First build in years - Done homework but one last check

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2006 3:11:30 AM

As the title says, I am putting together a new system for the first time since '01. I'm not exactly an enthusiast but am patient and competent enough to put together a simple desktop. These forums have been invaluable for researching the following list, and I wanted to run my cart by anyone who cares to respond, just to make sure I am not making any glaring errors.

I won't be making this a home theater, or doing video/audio work or anything. I mostly just want to be able to run WinAmp, ten Firefoxes, IMs, and play WoW and some other light gaming, or whatever I get sucked into next, with quality for a few years. The only overclocking I will do for now will be stock air, but that is for now. I may get adventurous down the road.

Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0 for AMD & Intel systems Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1682...

MSI RX1900XT-VT2D512E Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe Processor 2.13GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 2MB Cache Retail ***Free Shipping***

I should probably have put those in the opposite order but whatever...

In a processor I opted for the e6400 over the e6600 because the 4mb cache and few extra MHZ didn't seem worth the extra 100, especially with how well it supposedly stock overclocks.

I went with the Asus board instead of others because I really liked my old Asus, and this one offers the option to crossfire later if I want to start running higher res flatscreen.

The case/PS combo seems ok for now, if I need more juice later I can easily pick up a better PS down the street.

The video card deal seems great with the 100 dollar rebate, better than a comparably priced nvidia.

Finally, as for the Hard Drives and RAM, those are the items I am sketchiest on. I read that this board has an easy raid 0/raid 1 set up built in where I simply set the jumper and plug them in. Using that I could get good performance without shelling out for a faster "better" drive. RAM... eh, I might have gone a little higher than needed but it seems a good deal also, room for tweaking without hurting later.

Somewhat longwinded, if anyone sees anything I need to know please post! Thanks for all the help from all of you here at Toms.

More about : build years homework check

August 18, 2006 3:33:47 AM

Quote:
The case/PS combo seems ok for now, if I need more juice later I can easily pick up a better PS down the street.

You're putting such a nice rig together, why not just do it right first time? It won't crush your budget to do a good case and PS. That Antec PS just isn't worthy. Find a quality case, then slip this mushkin into it's power socket.
August 18, 2006 3:50:15 AM

I am constantly fighting this stingy streak... I swapped out the antec for a Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case , and threw in that Mushkin. Totally not worth shortcutting it heh.

Thanks for input
Related resources
August 18, 2006 4:26:25 AM

Quote:
I am constantly fighting this stingy streak... I swapped out the antec for a Lian Li PC-65B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case , and threw in that Mushkin. Totally not worth shortcutting it heh.

Thanks for input

Look great! Nice! I have the Lian Li case. Nice. I finally just put my DVD ROM and DVD-RW in the bottom two bays. I've built in my case several times. The upper two 5.25 bays are hard to work on. HTH
August 18, 2006 4:50:56 AM

Quote:

In a processor I opted for the e6400 over the e6600 because the 4mb cache and few extra MHZ didn't seem worth the extra 100, especially with how well it supposedly stock overclocks.

You might want to at least give th e6600 a second thought. Sure the 6400 overclocks great, but every time the data its looking for isn't in the cache, it has to hit the RAM for what it wants, and unforunately, RAM is an order of magnitude slower than the CPU and its cache. Those extra cycles you're pushing through the CPU are partially wasted while it waits for data.
August 18, 2006 5:30:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks for input

Be careful I don't see the pc-65B listed on their website so I don't know which case you mean. Most Lian-Li cases mount the mobo upside down which won't work with your mobo since it is heat-pipe cooled.

Without going into detail. Heat pipes use liquid pulled through a pipe by gravity to move heat away from the chipset, mounting upside down reverses gravity.

Also the Mushkin psu is a bit over priced for comething not PFC active. I'd recommend an OCZ gamestream 700w. Buy Mushkin ram if you can, it roxors.
August 18, 2006 5:32:55 AM

I found a review of the pc-65B looks like it's rightside up so the heatpipe won't be an issue
August 18, 2006 6:53:06 AM

After comparing the two a while I'm going to go with the p180, and a 600w Version of the OCZ GameXstream.

Cords issue was a really good heads up, but is that just the power supply that has issues from the placement, or is it large enough upper drives will need them too.

Good info in here that tends to get skipped over in a lot of other threads, thanks guys.
August 18, 2006 1:51:02 PM

Quote:
After comparing the two a while I'm going to go with the p180, and a 600w Version of the OCZ GameXstream.

Cords issue was a really good heads up, but is that just the power supply that has issues from the placement, or is it large enough upper drives will need them too.

Good info in here that tends to get skipped over in a lot of other threads, thanks guys.

The OCZ you're looking at should have plenty of cable length for the P180. In many cases, the Gamextremes have too much cable length and can cause cable management issues.
August 18, 2006 2:31:18 PM

You might want to consider exchanging that Caviar for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB HD. It has perpendicular recording so it tends to be faster. Including shipping and everything it only costs $8 more than the Caviar. Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148144

You should read Tom's drive charts for more info.

Hope it helps...
!