dump cached lookups to flat file?

Is there any way to dump the db of cached lookups in Windows DNS to a flat
file? Like many MS Gui tools, DNS plug in seems utterly useless once you
get an inch off the beaten path.

Otherwise, what files does the DNS keep this information stored in in its
native format?

---
Lord, protect me from those to whom you speak directly
Leave the no-spam in, correct email address

This may go some way to providing what you want -

dnscmd <nameserver FQDN or address> /zoneprint .

DNSCMD is provided as part of the Support Tools on your Windows
installation media.

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Dean Wells [MVP] wrote:

> This may go some way to providing what you want -
>
> dnscmd <nameserver FQDN or address> /zoneprint .

Thanks for the tip!
dnscmd <server> /zoneprint ..Cache
did the trick!

---
Lord, protect me from those to whom you speak directly
Leave the no-spam in, correct email address

The output of the DNSCMD syntax you used is near identical to that of
the one I supplied, is there something specific that I'm missing that
differentiates the two?

--

P. Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Dean Wells [MVP] wrote:
>
>> This may go some way to providing what you want -
>>
>> dnscmd <nameserver FQDN or address> /zoneprint .
>

> Thanks for the tip!
> dnscmd <server> /zoneprint ..Cache
> did the trick!
>
> ---
> Lord, protect me from those to whom you speak directly
> Leave the no-spam in, correct email address

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Dean Wells [MVP] wrote:

> The output of the DNSCMD syntax you used is near identical to that of
> the one I supplied, is there something specific that I'm missing that
> differentiates the two?

I had stumbled across dnscmd and had followed the syntax of the dnscmd
help just prior to seeing your post. Effectively, however, both solutions
seem equal:

dnscmd /zoneprint /?
Usage: DnsCmd <ServerName> /ZonePrint [<ZoneName>] [/Detail]
<ZoneName> -- name of the zone (use ..Cache for DNS server cache)
/Detail -- explicit RPC node contents

---