Resolve a name to an IP address (Like using the HOSTS file)

I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers. (For
instance www.jubbawubba.com would still go to the jubbawubba.com website)
I can accomplish the result I want by editing the hosts file on a client
machine, but there is no way I'm going to hoof it around to every client
machine and do that!

I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it is.
I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it intercepted
everything, and didn't work.

Thank you!
3 answers Last reply
More about resolve address like hosts file

    "Brent Cook" <bcook@mdihospital.com> wrote in message
    > I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
    > specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
    > jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers.

    You can add a zone of that name (the entire thing) with
    an A record for the zone itself pointing to your desired
    address -- smtp.jubbawubba.com.

    What most people don't realize about DNS is that
    that there is little if any difference between what we
    (humans) call a domain and what we call a server name.

    In fact in traditional DNS terminology, all names are
    domains (although this is not a common way of discussing
    DNS these days.)

    > (For
    > instance www.jubbawubba.com would still go to the jubbawubba.com website)

    Don't create the jubbawubba.com, but rather go another
    level down as if smtp.jubbawubba.com were an ordinary
    zone for that domain name.

    > I can accomplish the result I want by editing the hosts file on a client
    > machine, but there is no way I'm going to hoof it around to every client
    > machine and do that!

    If you want to do it for only a few addresses the zone
    method works. If you want to do it for thousands there
    are other methods (e.g., loading a BIND DNS server cache).

    > I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it
    is.
    > I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it intercepted
    > everything, and didn't work.

    Right click and create ZONE name smtp.jubbawubba.com
    Add the A record (same as parent) and the IP address there.

    --
    Herb Martin

    > "Brent Cook" <bcook@mdihospital.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
    >> specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
    >> jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers.
    >
    >> I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it
    > is.
    >> I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it
    >> intercepted
    >> everything, and didn't work.
    >
    > Right click and create ZONE name smtp.jubbawubba.com
    > Add the A record (same as parent) and the IP address there.

    Thank you Herb. This worked perfectly!
    After creating the Forward Lookup Zone smtp.jubbawubba.com, I right
    clicked on it and created a "New Alias". I left the Alias Name field
    blank, and entered the new target smtp servers. I restarted the DNS
    service just for good measure, and what do you know... it worked.
    There were a couple XP machines that needed to be restarted to clear a bad
    cache, but that's it for problems.

    A couple of things: I set this zone up as the default selection, "Standard
    Primary" whereas I usually set them up as Active Directory Integrated. I'm
    assuming it makes no difference in this case, as this is just one address,
    very simple.

    I have 2 win2k DNS servers running. I find if I add a zone to one, it
    doesn't add it to the other one. I have to do it manually. Is this the
    way it's supposed to work?

    Once again, thank you for helping me out with this.

    -Brent

    > Thank you Herb. This worked perfectly!
    > After creating the Forward Lookup Zone smtp.jubbawubba.com, I right
    > clicked on it and created a "New Alias". I left the Alias Name field
    > blank, and entered the new target smtp servers. I restarted the DNS
    > service just for good measure, and what do you know... it worked.

    You're welcome -- glad to help.

    > There were a couple XP machines that needed to be restarted to clear a bad
    > cache, but that's it for problems.

    They would have timed out (eventually, within a day) or
    you could have (really should have) just cleared the cache
    on any such client with:

    ipconfig /flushdns

    > A couple of things: I set this zone up as the default selection,
    "Standard
    > Primary" whereas I usually set them up as Active Directory Integrated.
    I'm
    > assuming it makes no difference in this case, as this is just one address,
    > very simple.

    No, there is no real advantage (and probably some slight
    disadvantage to using AD): one record, never changes, etc.

    > I have 2 win2k DNS servers running. I find if I add a zone to one, it
    > doesn't add it to the other one. I have to do it manually. Is this
    the
    > way it's supposed to work?

    Each DNS server is separate.

    You will have to create a SECONDARY on each
    of your other DNS servers to get consistent results across
    your network.

    > Once again, thank you for helping me out with this.

    Anytime I can; pass it on...

    --
    Herb Martin

    > > "Brent Cook" <bcook@mdihospital.com> wrote in message
    > >> I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
    > >> specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
    > >> jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers.
    > >
    > >> I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what
    it
    > > is.
    > >> I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it
    > >> intercepted
    > >> everything, and didn't work.
    > >
    > > Right click and create ZONE name smtp.jubbawubba.com
    > > Add the A record (same as parent) and the IP address there.
    > >

    > -Brent

IP Address DNS Internet Windows