Resolve a name to an IP address (Like using the HOSTS file)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
January 3, 2005 7:53:57 PM

I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers. (For
instance www.jubbawubba.com would still go to the jubbawubba.com website)
I can accomplish the result I want by editing the hosts file on a client
machine, but there is no way I'm going to hoof it around to every client
machine and do that!

I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it is.
I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it intercepted
everything, and didn't work.

Thank you!
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:45:58 AM

"Brent Cook" <bcook@mdihospital.com> wrote in message
> I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
> specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
> jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers.

You can add a zone of that name (the entire thing) with
an A record for the zone itself pointing to your desired
address -- smtp.jubbawubba.com.

What most people don't realize about DNS is that
that there is little if any difference between what we
(humans) call a domain and what we call a server name.

In fact in traditional DNS terminology, all names are
domains (although this is not a common way of discussing
DNS these days.)

> (For
> instance www.jubbawubba.com would still go to the jubbawubba.com website)

Don't create the jubbawubba.com, but rather go another
level down as if smtp.jubbawubba.com were an ordinary
zone for that domain name.

> I can accomplish the result I want by editing the hosts file on a client
> machine, but there is no way I'm going to hoof it around to every client
> machine and do that!

If you want to do it for only a few addresses the zone
method works. If you want to do it for thousands there
are other methods (e.g., loading a BIND DNS server cache).

> I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it
is.
> I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it intercepted
> everything, and didn't work.

Right click and create ZONE name smtp.jubbawubba.com
Add the A record (same as parent) and the IP address there.

--
Herb Martin

> Thank you!

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:50:00 PM

news:o 6CPFih8EHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> "Brent Cook" <bcook@mdihospital.com> wrote in message
>> I would like my Win2K DNS server to resolve smtp.jubbawubba.com to a
>> specific internet IP address I specify, but still allow any other
>> jubbawubba.com address to be resolved by internet DNS servers.
>
>> I'm sure this is something insanely simple..... but I don't know what it
> is.
>> I tried creating a forward lookup zone jubbawubba.com, but it
>> intercepted
>> everything, and didn't work.
>
> Right click and create ZONE name smtp.jubbawubba.com
> Add the A record (same as parent) and the IP address there.

Thank you Herb. This worked perfectly!
After creating the Forward Lookup Zone smtp.jubbawubba.com, I right
clicked on it and created a "New Alias". I left the Alias Name field
blank, and entered the new target smtp servers. I restarted the DNS
service just for good measure, and what do you know... it worked.
There were a couple XP machines that needed to be restarted to clear a bad
cache, but that's it for problems.

A couple of things: I set this zone up as the default selection, "Standard
Primary" whereas I usually set them up as Active Directory Integrated. I'm
assuming it makes no difference in this case, as this is just one address,
very simple.

I have 2 win2k DNS servers running. I find if I add a zone to one, it
doesn't add it to the other one. I have to do it manually. Is this the
way it's supposed to work?

Once again, thank you for helping me out with this.

-Brent
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:50:24 PM

> Thank you Herb. This worked perfectly!
> After creating the Forward Lookup Zone smtp.jubbawubba.com, I right
> clicked on it and created a "New Alias". I left the Alias Name field
> blank, and entered the new target smtp servers. I restarted the DNS
> service just for good measure, and what do you know... it worked.

You're welcome -- glad to help.

> There were a couple XP machines that needed to be restarted to clear a bad
> cache, but that's it for problems.

They would have timed out (eventually, within a day) or
you could have (really should have) just cleared the cache
on any such client with:

ipconfig /flushdns

> A couple of things: I set this zone up as the default selection,
"Standard
> Primary" whereas I usually set them up as Active Directory Integrated.
I'm
> assuming it makes no difference in this case, as this is just one address,
> very simple.

No, there is no real advantage (and probably some slight
disadvantage to using AD): one record, never changes, etc.

> I have 2 win2k DNS servers running. I find if I add a zone to one, it
> doesn't add it to the other one. I have to do it manually. Is this
the
> way it's supposed to work?

Each DNS server is separate.

You will have to create a SECONDARY on each
of your other DNS servers to get consistent results across
your network.

> Once again, thank you for helping me out with this.

Anytime I can; pass it on...

--
Herb Martin

!