Netdiag DNS error

Hi all,

I have 4 DC's, 2 Windows 2000 and 2 Windows 2003. I will
soon be taking the W2k DC's out of service. DNS is on each
of the DC's and they are AD Intergrated zones. Nslookup
and resolution all seem to work correctly, however when I
run Netdiag on the W2003 DC's I get the following:

C:\Program Files\Support Tools>netdiag
Computer Name: DC1
DNS Host Name: DC1.anydomain.org
System info : Windows 2000 Server (Build 3790)
Processor : x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5,
GenuineIntel
List of installed hotfixes :
KB819696
KB823182
KB823559
KB824105
KB824141
KB824146
KB824151
KB825119
KB828035
KB828741
KB833987
KB834707
KB835732
KB837001
KB839643
KB839645
KB840315
KB840374
KB840987
KB841356
KB841533
KB867460
KB873376
Q147222

Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed

Per interface results:
Adapter : Broadcom NetXtreme Dual Port Gigabit
Ethernet Adapter - Onboard -
Link B
Netcard queries test . . . : Passed
Host Name. . . . . . . . . : DC1
IP Address . . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.6
Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . : 192.168.5.251
Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : 192.168.5.6
192.168.1.10

AutoConfiguration results. . . . . . : Passed
Default gateway test . . . : Passed
NetBT name test. . . . . . : Passed
[WARNING] At least one of the <00> 'WorkStation
Service', <03> 'Messenge
r Service', <20> 'WINS' names is missing.
WINS service test. . . . . : Skipped
There are no WINS servers configured for this
interface.

Global results:

Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed

NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
List of NetBt transports currently configured:
NetBT_Tcpip_{EE5D1895-EC1E-4E19-A74C-7AE6C2A236B6}
1 NetBt transport currently configured.

Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed

IP loopback ping test. . . . . . . : Passed

NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Passed
[WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the
<00> 'WorkStation Servi
ce', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.

Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
DNS server '192.168.5.10
' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir
NetBT_Tcpip_{EE5D1895-EC1E-4E19-A74C-7AE6C2A236B6}
The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.
List of NetBt transports currently bound to the browser
NetBT_Tcpip_{EE5D1895-EC1E-4E19-A74C-7AE6C2A236B6}
The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Passed

DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Passed
Secure channel for domain 'anydomain' is
to '\\dca.anydomain.com'.

Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

Bindings test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

WAN configuration test . . . . . . : Skipped
No active remote access connections.

Modem diagnostics test . . . . . . : Passed
IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Skipped
Note: run "netsh ipsec dynamic show /?" for more
detailed information

The command completed successfully

The other DNS server, 5.10 is a Windows 2000 server, the
DNS server that the error occurred on is a Windows 2003
server. If I run Netdiag against only the Windows 2003
servers it will fail completely. All DC IP's are static.
Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks for your help :)
25 answers Last reply
More about netdiag error

    In news:020c01c4f2c4$cf1fdc20$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    Zeke <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented
    below
    :: Hi all,
    ::
    :: I have 4 DC's, 2 Windows 2000 and 2 Windows 2003. I will
    :: soon be taking the W2k DC's out of service. DNS is on each
    :: of the DC's and they are AD Intergrated zones. Nslookup
    :: and resolution all seem to work correctly, however when I
    :: run Netdiag on the W2003 DC's I get the following:
    ::
    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
    DNS server '192.168.5.10
    ' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

    <snip>

    Is the DNS service running on the machine?
    Any services disabled or stopped?
    Any event log errors?

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    G O E A G L E S !!!
    so all can benefit.

    and confers no rights.

    A lifetime commitment for a pig.
    --
    =================================

    Hi Ace,

    DNS is running, no stopped or disabled services. One
    error in DNS Event log which occurred 5 days ago and not
    since then:

    Event ID 4004

    The DNS server was unable to complete directory service
    enumeration of zone chpd.townofchapelhill.org. This DNS
    server is configured to use information obtained from
    Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the
    zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is
    functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone.
    The extended error debug information (which may be empty)
    is "". The event data contains the error.

    In news:094501c4f346$b687cd30$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    made a post then I commented below
    :: Hi Ace,
    ::
    :: DNS is running, no stopped or disabled services. One
    :: error in DNS Event log which occurred 5 days ago and not
    :: since then:
    ::
    :: Event ID 4004
    ::
    :: The DNS server was unable to complete directory service
    :: enumeration of zone chpd.townofchapelhill.org. This DNS
    :: server is configured to use information obtained from
    :: Active Directory for this zone and is unable to load the
    :: zone without it. Check that the Active Directory is
    :: functioning properly and repeat enumeration of the zone.
    :: The extended error debug information (which may be empty)
    :: is "". The event data contains the error.

    4004 errors can be ignored in most cases, as long as the zone is available
    once AD's services intialize. That is normally a boot time error when DNS
    intializes prior to AD with using AD Integrated zones (because the zone is
    stored in AD).

    The original question was concerning the Trksrv. That is the DFS service. I
    guess you're ok with that?

    Ace

    Trksrv? I am not sure what that is. The original question
    was why this error keeps popping up in netdiag:

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
    DNS server '192.168.5.10
    ' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.

    If I only use the 192.168.5.6 or 5.7 DNS servers it will
    fail netdiag. Note that this netdiag was run from 5.6. Why
    can it not verify its own DNS record on itself?

    In news:081901c4f44d$37e43ba0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Trksrv? I am not sure what that is. The original question
    > was why this error keeps popping up in netdiag:
    >
    > DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    > [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    > verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    > server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    > PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
    > DNS server '192.168.5.10
    > ' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
    >
    > If I only use the 192.168.5.6 or 5.7 DNS servers it will
    > fail netdiag. Note that this netdiag was run from 5.6. Why
    > can it not verify its own DNS record on itself?

    Check that the DNS service is listening on the 192.168.5.6 IP address on the
    Interfaces tab of the DNS server properties.

    Run nslookup to see if the DNS server is responding to queries.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Yes it is and it responds to nslookup and resolves with no
    problems. Note there are Windows 2000 and 2003 DNS servers
    in this environment, this error is from a 2003 DNS server.
    What is causing this?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:0c8801c4f46c$22f392d0$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Yes it is and it responds to nslookup and resolves with no
    > problems. Note there are Windows 2000 and 2003 DNS servers
    > in this environment, this error is from a 2003 DNS server.
    > What is causing this?

    I don't know, I have yet to acquire the information to tell you what is
    causing this.
    Have you tried querying DNS for any of the SRV records?

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:081901c4f44d$37e43ba0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    made a post then I commented below
    :: Trksrv? I am not sure what that is. The original question
    :: was why this error keeps popping up in netdiag:
    ::
    :: DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    :: [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    :: verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    :: server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    :: PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
    :: DNS server '192.168.5.10
    :: ' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
    ::
    :: If I only use the 192.168.5.6 or 5.7 DNS servers it will
    :: fail netdiag. Note that this netdiag was run from 5.6. Why
    :: can it not verify its own DNS record on itself?

    Oops., I was thinking of another post when I said that. I apologize.

    Back to your error:

    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.

    Have you physically looked in DNS to see if this entry exists?

    Also, since it's timing out, that comes back to my original thought that the
    service wasn't running.

    Is the DHCP Client service running on 192.168.5.6 ?

    Ace
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Yes I can query for any record successfully. Nslookup
    works fine and no errors in the event logs. This W2003 dns
    server is in a domain with 2000 dns servers. What I cannot
    understand is that it cannot verify its own A record even
    though there is an A record for it on the same server.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:128001c4f60c$5c604530$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Yes I can query for any record successfully. Nslookup
    > works fine and no errors in the event logs. This W2003 dns
    > server is in a domain with 2000 dns servers. What I cannot
    > understand is that it cannot verify its own A record even
    > though there is an A record for it on the same server.

    Run these:
    nslookup -d2
    server <badserverip>
    set type=srv
    _ldap._tcp.<replacewithyourADdomainname>.
    ^
    Do not forget to add this trailing dot-----------^

    Show me the output and is this DCs SRV record listed.
    Also post the ipconfig /all from this DC.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Let me guys get in this conversation as i have got the same error.
    The DNS service, DHCP client service are up and running.

    The entry can only be existing as it is a domain controller and a primary
    dns in my AD domain.

    Any other thoughts ??

    Thanks !!

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:081901c4f44d$37e43ba0$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > made a post then I commented below
    > :: Trksrv? I am not sure what that is. The original question
    > :: was why this error keeps popping up in netdiag:
    > ::
    > :: DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    > :: [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    > :: verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    > :: server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    > :: PASS - All the DNS entries for DC are registered on
    > :: DNS server '192.168.5.10
    > :: ' and other DCs also have some of the names registered.
    > ::
    > :: If I only use the 192.168.5.6 or 5.7 DNS servers it will
    > :: fail netdiag. Note that this netdiag was run from 5.6. Why
    > :: can it not verify its own DNS record on itself?
    >
    > Oops., I was thinking of another post when I said that. I apologize.
    >
    > Back to your error:
    >
    > [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC cannot be
    > verified right now on DNS <--- This is the error
    > server 192.168.5.6, ERROR_TIMEOUT.
    >

    > Have you physically looked in DNS to see if this entry exists?
    >
    > Also, since it's timing out, that comes back to my original thought that the
    > service wasn't running.
    >
    > Is the DHCP Client service running on 192.168.5.6 ?
    >
    > Ace

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:254CD2AB-C791-4F12-9EDB-01454BAAE340@microsoft.com,
    Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > Let me guys get in this conversation as i have got the same error.
    > The DNS service, DHCP client service are up and running.
    >
    > The entry can only be existing as it is a domain controller and a
    > primary dns in my AD domain.
    >
    > Any other thoughts ??
    >
    > Thanks !!

    What exactly is the error you are seeing?

    Well, as was discussed in this thread, and as is posted in many other
    threads, the main points to consider are:

    1. You are only using the internal DNS server(s). No ISPs in IP properties
    can exist.
    2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain name.
    3. The Primary DNS Suffix is set to the AD DNS domain name.
    4. The zone name is the same as in #3 above, and updates are allowed.

    That's pretty much the basics. If you feel you're not sure of any of these
    points and it's still difficult to diagnose, please post an unedited
    ipconfig /all, the netdiag error, and any Event log errors.

    Thanks,
    Ace
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I have checked every option you mentionned and it is fine except number two:
    2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain name: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

    My Netdiag log is at the end of this message

    Thanks!
    Ebk

    "Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:254CD2AB-C791-4F12-9EDB-01454BAAE340@microsoft.com,
    > Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > > Let me guys get in this conversation as i have got the same error.
    > > The DNS service, DHCP client service are up and running.
    > >
    > > The entry can only be existing as it is a domain controller and a
    > > primary dns in my AD domain.
    > >
    > > Any other thoughts ??
    > >
    > > Thanks !!
    >
    > What exactly is the error you are seeing?
    >
    > Well, as was discussed in this thread, and as is posted in many other
    > threads, the main points to consider are:
    >
    > 1. You are only using the internal DNS server(s). No ISPs in IP properties
    > can exist.
    > 2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain name.
    > 3. The Primary DNS Suffix is set to the AD DNS domain name.
    > 4. The zone name is the same as in #3 above, and updates are allowed.
    >
    > That's pretty much the basics. If you feel you're not sure of any of these
    > points and it's still difficult to diagnose, please post an unedited
    > ipconfig /all, the netdiag error, and any Event log errors.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ace
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\EMEA_pthoms>netdiag

    Computer Name: GBLDCDCE01
    DNS Host Name: gbldcdce01.emea.cbre.net
    System info : Windows 2000 Server (Build 3790)
    Processor : x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel
    List of installed hotfixes :
    KB819696
    KB823182
    KB823353
    KB823559
    KB824105
    KB824141
    KB824146
    KB824151
    KB825119
    KB828035
    KB828741
    KB830352
    KB832894
    KB833987
    KB834707
    KB835732
    KB837001
    KB837272
    KB839643
    KB839643-DirectX9
    KB839645
    KB840315
    KB840374
    KB840987
    KB841356
    KB841533
    KB867460
    KB867801
    KB870763
    KB873339
    KB873376
    KB883935
    KB885835
    KB885836
    KB885881
    Q147222
    Q828026

    Netcard queries test . . . . . . . : Passed

    Per interface results:

    Adapter : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Adapter - Onboard - Link B

    Netcard queries test . . . : Passed

    Host Name. . . . . . . . . : gbldcdce01.emea.cbre.net
    IP Address . . . . . . . . : 10.15.246.3
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway. . . . . . : 10.15.246.1
    Primary WINS Server. . . . : 192.168.1.250
    Dns Servers. . . . . . . . : 10.15.246.3
    10.15.246.2

    AutoConfiguration results. . . . . . : Passed

    NetBT name test. . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] At least one of the <00> 'WorkStation Service', <03>
    'Messenge
    r Service', <20> 'WINS' names is missing.

    WINS service test. . . . . : Passed

    Global results:

    Domain membership test . . . . . . : Passed

    NetBT transports test. . . . . . . : Passed
    List of NetBt transports currently configured:
    NetBT_Tcpip_{A52E97B9-B8FB-4A10-A756-E6495D1D7F65}
    1 NetBt transport currently configured.

    Autonet address test . . . . . . . : Passed

    IP loopback ping test. . . . . . . : Passed

    NetBT name test. . . . . . . . . . : Passed
    [WARNING] You don't have a single interface with the <00> 'WorkStation
    Servi
    ce', <03> 'Messenger Service', <20> 'WINS' names defined.

    Winsock test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
    DNS se
    rver '10.15.246.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
    DNS se
    rver '10.15.246.2'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

    Redir and Browser test . . . . . . : Passed
    List of NetBt transports currently bound to the Redir
    NetBT_Tcpip_{A52E97B9-B8FB-4A10-A756-E6495D1D7F65}
    The redir is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    List of NetBt transports currently bound to the browser
    NetBT_Tcpip_{A52E97B9-B8FB-4A10-A756-E6495D1D7F65}
    The browser is bound to 1 NetBt transport.

    DC discovery test. . . . . . . . . : Passed

    DC list test . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    Trust relationship test. . . . . . : Passed
    Secure channel for domain 'EMEA' is to '\\gbldcadc01.emea.cbre.net'.

    Kerberos test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    LDAP test. . . . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    Bindings test. . . . . . . . . . . : Passed

    WAN configuration test . . . . . . : Skipped
    No active remote access connections.

    Modem diagnostics test . . . . . . : Passed

    IP Security test . . . . . . . . . : Skipped

    Note: run "netsh ipsec dynamic show /?" for more detailed information

    The command completed successfully

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Here are the results:

    C:\>nslookup -d2
    ------------
    SendRequest(), len 42
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: query, want recursion
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

    ------------
    ------------
    Got answer (88 bytes):
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: response, auth. answer, want
    recursion, recursion avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    -> 6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    type = PTR, class = IN, dlen = 34
    name = anydomain.domain.org
    ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

    ------------
    Default Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    C:\>nslookup -d2
    ------------
    SendRequest(), len 42
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: query, want recursion
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN

    ------------
    ------------
    Got answer (88 bytes):
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 1, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: response, auth. answer, want
    recursion, recursion avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa, type = PTR, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    -> 6.5.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    type = PTR, class = IN, dlen = 34
    name = DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    ttl = 1200 (20 mins)

    ------------
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    > set type=srv
    > _ldap.tcp.DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    ------------
    SendRequest(), len 79
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: query, want recursion
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:

    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org.anydomain.domain.org, type
    = SR
    V, class = IN

    ------------
    ------------
    Got answer (161 bytes):
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 2, rcode = NXDOMAIN
    header flags: response, auth. answer, want
    recursion, recursion avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    1, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:

    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org.anydomain.domain.org, type
    = SR
    V, class = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    -> anydomain.domain.org
    type = SOA, class = IN, dlen = 45
    ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
    primary name server = DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    responsible mail addr =
    administrator.anydomain.domain.org
    serial = 25937
    refresh = 900 (15 mins)
    retry = 600 (10 mins)
    expire = 86400 (1 day)
    default TTL = 900 (15 mins)

    ------------
    ------------
    SendRequest(), len 74
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: query, want recursion
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org, type = SRV, class
    = IN

    ------------
    ------------
    Got answer (149 bytes):
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 3, rcode = NXDOMAIN
    header flags: response, auth. answer, recursion
    avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    1, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org, type = SRV, cl
    ass = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    -> domain.org
    type = SOA, class = IN, dlen = 43
    ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
    primary name server = dca.domain.org
    responsible mail addr = administrator.domain.org
    serial = 11766
    refresh = 900 (15 mins)
    retry = 600 (10 mins)
    expire = 86400 (1 day)
    default TTL = 900 (15 mins)

    ------------
    ------------
    SendRequest(), len 53
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 4, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: query, want recursion
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org, type = SRV, class
    = IN

    ------------
    ------------
    Got answer (135 bytes):
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 4, rcode = NXDOMAIN
    header flags: response, auth. answer, want
    recursion, recursion avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 0, authority records =
    1, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org, type = SRV, class
    = IN
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    -> anydomain.domain.org
    type = SOA, class = IN, dlen = 45
    ttl = 3600 (1 hour)
    primary name server = DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    responsible mail addr =
    administrator.anydomain.domain.org
    serial = 25937
    refresh = 900 (15 mins)
    retry = 600 (10 mins)
    expire = 86400 (1 day)
    default TTL = 900 (15 mins)

    ------------
    *** DC1.anydomain.domain.orgcan't find
    _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org.
    org: Non-existent domain

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:1bf601c4f73f$ac77f700$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > *** DC1.anydomain.domain.orgcan't find
    > _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org.
    > org: Non-existent domain

    Ooops! Wrong query, try _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.com.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:e6SEMN19EHA.1544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP] <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> made a post then I
    commented below
    > In news:1bf601c4f73f$ac77f700$a401280a@phx.gbl,
    > anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> *** DC1.anydomain.domain.orgcan't find
    >> _ldap.tcp.anydomain.domain.org.
    >> org: Non-existent domain
    >
    > Ooops! Wrong query, try _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.com.

    Or for all the SRV records, try:
    ls -t srv anydomain.com

    I don't think I saw the ipconfig /all, unless I missed it?

    Ace
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:9C449F58-90B3-4A86-BC74-A4DD63DA41CD@microsoft.com,
    Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > I have checked every option you mentionned and it is fine except
    > number two:
    > 2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain name: WHAT DO
    > YOU MEAN?

    <snip>

    You don't seem to have a single label name. An example of a single label
    name is "domain" versus a proper defined name of "domain.com".

    What concerns me is this:
    DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
    DNS se
    rver '10.15.246.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on
    DNS se
    rver '10.15.246.2'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    [FATAL] No DNS servers have the DNS records for this DC registered.

    Did you physically check those two DNS servers mentioned in the message for
    the DC's record?

    Ace
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:eJaddc29EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > In
    > Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    > commented below
    >> I have checked every option you mentionned and it is
    >> fine except number two:
    >> 2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain
    >> name: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > You don't seem to have a single label name. An example of
    > a single label name is "domain" versus a proper defined
    > name of "domain.com".
    >
    > What concerns me is this:
    > DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    > [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not
    > registered correctly on DNS se
    > rver '10.15.246.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS
    > server replication. [WARNING] The DNS entries for
    > this DC are not registered correctly on
    > DNS se
    > rver '10.15.246.2'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS
    > server replication. [FATAL] No DNS servers have the
    > DNS records for this DC registered.
    >

    > Did you physically check those two DNS servers mentioned
    > in the message for the DC's record?

    It might help if he ran netdiag /fix then post results from a
    netdiag /test:dns /v

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    here is the latest:

    C:\>nslookup
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org
    Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    Name: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org

    > set type=srv
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org
    Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    Address: 192.168.5.6

    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 100
    port = 389
    svr hostname = DC2.anydomain.domain.org
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 100
    port = 389
    svr hostname = DCA.anydomain.domain.org
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 100
    port = 389
    svr hostname = DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    location:
    priority = 0
    weight = 100
    port = 389
    svr hostname = DC2.anydomain.domain.org
    DC2.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.4
    DC2.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 38.233.154.182
    DCA.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.3
    DC1.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.6

    and ipconfig /all:

    C:\>ipconfig /all

    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DC1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    anydomain.domain.org
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
    anydomain.domain.org
    domain.org

    Ethernet adapter Broadcom NetXtreme Dual Port Gigabit
    Ethernet Adapter - Onboard
    - Link B:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme
    Gigabit Ethernet #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-66-CF-6F
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    C:\>

    Thanks

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:1a5d01c4f7f2$4d0bc5e0$a501280a@phx.gbl,
    anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    commented
    Then Kevin replied below:

    I see a couple of problems, read inline.

    > here is the latest:
    >

    > C:\>nslookup
    > Default Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    > Address: 192.168.5.6
    >
    >> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org
    > Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    > Address: 192.168.5.6
    >
    > Name: _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org
    >
    >> set type=srv
    >> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org
    > Server: DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    > Address: 192.168.5.6
    >
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    > location:
    > priority = 0
    > weight = 100
    > port = 389
    > svr hostname = DC2.anydomain.domain.org
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    > location:
    > priority = 0
    > weight = 100
    > port = 389
    > svr hostname = DCA.anydomain.domain.org
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    > location:
    > priority = 0
    > weight = 100
    > port = 389
    > svr hostname = DC1.anydomain.domain.org
    > _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.anydomain.domain.org SRV service
    > location:
    > priority = 0
    > weight = 100
    > port = 389
    > svr hostname = DC2.anydomain.domain.org
    > DC2.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.4
    > DC2.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 38.233.154.182<--Public IP
    address

    This DC is multi-homed, which requires additional configuration to keep
    other machines from trying to connect to the Public IP address which usually
    does not have the proper services or file sharing enabled on the Public
    interfaces. Please post if this server is also an RAS server so I can post
    the correct KB article.

    > DCA.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.3
    > DC1.anydomain.domain.org internet address = 192.168.5.6<-----Wrong IP
    registered for DC1.

    The IP registered for this DC does not match the IP for this DC interface
    that you posted below.
    Run netdiag /fix on this DC.

    > and ipconfig /all:
    >

    > C:\>ipconfig /all
    >
    > Windows IP Configuration
    >
    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DC1
    > Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    > anydomain.domain.org
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    > DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . :
    > anydomain.domain.org
    > domain.org
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Broadcom NetXtreme Dual Port Gigabit
    > Ethernet Adapter - Onboard
    > - Link B:
    >
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme
    > Gigabit Ethernet #2
    > Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-1F-66-CF-6F
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

    In addition, You should list the IP of all DCs with DNS installed as DNS
    servers.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Thanks for your help guys.
    I cannot give the results of this netdiag as it would give information I do
    not want to share in this newsgroup.
    A call has been openned with Microsoft...

    Thanks again!
    Ebk

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:eJaddc29EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Ace Fekay [MVP] <PleaseSubstituteMyActualFirstName&LastNameHere@hotmail.com>
    > commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > In
    > > Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I
    > > commented below
    > >> I have checked every option you mentionned and it is
    > >> fine except number two:
    > >> 2. You do not have a single label name AD DNS domain
    > >> name: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?
    > >>

    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > You don't seem to have a single label name. An example of
    > > a single label name is "domain" versus a proper defined
    > > name of "domain.com".
    > >
    > > What concerns me is this:
    > > DNS test . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Failed
    > > [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not
    > > registered correctly on DNS se
    > > rver '10.15.246.3'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS
    > > server replication. [WARNING] The DNS entries for
    > > this DC are not registered correctly on
    > > DNS se
    > > rver '10.15.246.2'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS
    > > server replication. [FATAL] No DNS servers have the
    > > DNS records for this DC registered.
    > >

    > > Did you physically check those two DNS servers mentioned
    > > in the message for the DC's record?
    >
    > It might help if he ran netdiag /fix then post results from a
    > netdiag /test:dns /v
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:F6F2B34C-A1A7-4B40-B5D5-ED5B3753B6D7@microsoft.com,
    Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Thanks for your help guys.
    > I cannot give the results of this netdiag as it would
    > give information I do not want to share in this newsgroup.
    > A call has been openned with Microsoft...

    This is unfortunate, the netdiag will only give private addresses (or
    should) thus, nobody would be able to use any info from it and would help
    us.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    I will share what we will obtain from MSFT!

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

    > In news:F6F2B34C-A1A7-4B40-B5D5-ED5B3753B6D7@microsoft.com,
    > Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    > > Thanks for your help guys.
    > > I cannot give the results of this netdiag as it would
    > > give information I do not want to share in this newsgroup.
    > > A call has been openned with Microsoft...
    >
    > This is unfortunate, the netdiag will only give private addresses (or
    > should) thus, nobody would be able to use any info from it and would help
    > us.
    >

    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:92A9A99B-D7E1-4A6C-AF91-7350F95CA730@microsoft.com,
    Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I will share what we will obtain from MSFT!

    That would be excellent!

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    with OEBackup:
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    In news:92A9A99B-D7E1-4A6C-AF91-7350F95CA730@microsoft.com,
    Ebk <Ebk@discussions.microsoft.com> made a post then I commented below
    > I will share what we will obtain from MSFT!

    That sounds great!

    Ace

Windows