Win CE file system

January 1, 2005 8:04:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc, microsoft.public.handheldpc (More info?)

What does it use? I know it can read FAT drives but the built in
filesystem, what is it?

Thanks,

John

More about : win file system

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.handheldpc (More info?)

>> the built in filesystem, what is it? <<

afaik, Fat32, but, where pc's with fat32 also maintain a fat file, the
ppc os does not... i.e. long filenames are inaccessable from a cmd prompt.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:18:19 PM

johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> What does it use? I know it can read FAT drives but the built in
> filesystem, what is it?

The Windows CE internal filesystem uses the Object Store, which is
part of the OS. It's a bit different to other file systems in that
it's rather dynamic (recall that you can allocate more/less space
through the system memory slider) and that garbage collection (and
other processes) can shift chunks of memory around without the user
knowing, or being affected.

The internals of WinCE are quite complex, but there's good
information on how it works within the MSDN WinCE section.

Cheers, and happy new year,
Nick.
January 7, 2005 12:12:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc, microsoft.public.handheldpc (More info?)

Thanks Nick. But what in the world is Object Store?

Thanks again,

John

PS- Nick just as I suspected the laptop is shrinking to the size of
the HPC
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:45:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc, microsoft.public.handheldpc (More info?)

Thanks. So I'm taking it that PPC's and HPC's both use the same file
system?

John

Nick L wrote:
> johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Thanks Nick. But what in the world is Object Store?
>
> The best way of describing it is a file system on steroids,
> although to be honest that's not strictly speaking true either.
>
> At its most simple, it's literally a store for multiple objects
> of different types. Files, and directory structures are just
> two types. Databases and "other stuff" make up the
> rest.
>
> Sorry to be vague, but it's a fairly complex topic and I
> don't have all the answers to hand. There's some good stuff on
> MSDN if you google for it, or there's some good books
> which cover off the basics particularly "Windows CE Application
> programming" by N Gratten and M Brian. That one delves
> more into the internals than the book I'd normally recommend,
> which is the Boling book - Programming Windows CE.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:39:48 AM

johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks Nick. But what in the world is Object Store?

The best way of describing it is a file system on steroids,
although to be honest that's not strictly speaking true either.

At its most simple, it's literally a store for multiple objects
of different types. Files, and directory structures are just
two types. Databases and "other stuff" make up the
rest.

Sorry to be vague, but it's a fairly complex topic and I
don't have all the answers to hand. There's some good stuff on
MSDN if you google for it, or there's some good books
which cover off the basics particularly "Windows CE Application
programming" by N Gratten and M Brian. That one delves
more into the internals than the book I'd normally recommend,
which is the Boling book - Programming Windows CE.

Cheers,
Nick.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 2:51:47 PM

johnw_94020@yahoo.com wrote:
> Thanks. So I'm taking it that PPC's and HPC's both use the same file
> system?

The core of both is Windows CE, and both use the core filing system, ie
the object store. The flash storage of PocketPCs is (I suspect) a
little different.
January 20, 2009 8:17:23 AM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.handheldpc (More info?)

>> the built in filesystem, what is it? <<

afaik, Fat32, but, where pc's with fat32 also maintain a fat file, the
ppc os does not... i.e. long filenames are inaccessable from a cmd prompt.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

hi to everybody i am creating an os image for an embedded device
the platform builder asks for pxa27x_buses.dll file and it says this file
should be there in WINCE folder....
I am not getting it and also I googled it.........
any help please?
Regards
EMBEDDED
January 20, 2009 8:18:18 AM