Sign in with
Your question

For all who is waiting for DX10 and Vista Ultimate

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2006 7:06:25 AM

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20060817/directx10-fab...

This is insane, if this is how the graphics will look like once VIsta comes out, I'll be damned. Can you imagine the gaming it would be on these graphics??
Im starting to wonder how powerful the Graphic Cards will be with the DX10 protocol inside them. I'm just amazed at the perormance leap from dx9 to dx10. Kinda blows my mind outa the water.
Whats you're guys' suggestions and opinions>>??
C'mon I really need some feedback from the people.
Do you think it would be worht the xp to Vista Ultimate upgrade??
August 18, 2006 7:17:55 AM

Looks good, I've been waiting since I read about dx10 and most likely be waiting for a while still. I wonder when dx10 card will be ready or when the first game is ready using a dx10 gcard. I do know I'm still going to wait long after they have been tested with other peoples money darn card makers are ripping clients off with rushing the stuff before its been tested properly.
August 18, 2006 7:30:01 AM

You have a point, but keep in mind, the gamers and Enthusiasts will be the ones who will have "The Best" system specs for DX10 gaming. C'mon, its already September in a week, then theres Turkey-Day, X-mas, New Year and BLAM>2007. Time flies my friend, besides its worth saving up till Vista comes out so you can get the best stuff out there, hardware wise.
Related resources
August 18, 2006 1:24:48 PM

Wow, really amazing! I hope they'll release some DX10 card already this year.
August 18, 2006 1:41:52 PM

I can already see how much power it would take to render something like that, I doubt that even with a DX10 card that we would be able to play that real time, probably a bigger hit on system resources than oblivion... unless they use some uber-nice programming that would reduce inefficencies...

But it looks so damn nice...
August 18, 2006 1:42:20 PM

Those are some really nice changes with DX10.
August 18, 2006 1:50:23 PM

Quote:

This is insane, if this is how the graphics will look like once VIsta comes out, I'll be damned. Can you imagine the gaming it would be on these graphics??
Im starting to wonder how powerful the Graphic Cards will be with the DX10 protocol inside them. I'm just amazed at the perormance leap from dx9 to dx10. Kinda blows my mind outa the water.

Its all pretty much bs. The Microsoft flight sim X is only an artist conception of what DX10 will look like.

See for yourself.

August 18, 2006 1:55:06 PM

I'm going to take a lesson from this whole Conroe launch. Wait a good couple of months before buying into anything! Delays in shipments, compatiblity issues, price gouging - it's not worth it. If you build that into the equation, buying a card for me is about 12 months out assuming cards get released at the beginning of 2007.

I would really appreciate it if you guys could give me some advice on my 1st build. Thanks:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...
August 18, 2006 4:20:55 PM

Alright maybe that was a concept, but what about the F.E.A.R technician??
Was that black guy's face a concept as well??
What is it that you dont believe about DX10??
August 18, 2006 4:30:39 PM

Quote:
Alright maybe that was a concept, but what about the F.E.A.R technician??
Was that black guy's face a concept as well??
What is it that you dont believe about DX10??

Well there is nothing about DX10 that I am doubting except for the fact that we have not really seen true DX10 yet. There is no doubt that it will look better than DX9.

As for the F.E.A.R comparison that was just dumb because the pics were not even of the same game. The black guys face was from a Crysis photo (different game) which as far as we know was a DX9 shot being immulated to look like DX10 but even that is only rumor.
August 18, 2006 4:42:51 PM

By the way, there are two screenshots from Crysis just like those screenshots from Flight Simulator X. It's possible that the first one is DX9 and the second one DX10, or both are DX9 but the second one shows the use of HDR. In any case, they are pretty nice too. 8)

August 18, 2006 5:12:58 PM

Now thats a significant leap from 9 to 10.
I believe that the graphics will look the concepts or even better!!
It is well worth the wait till vista comes out.
August 18, 2006 5:22:35 PM

Quote:
By the way, there are two screenshots from Crysis just like those screenshots from Flight Simulator X. It's possible that the first one is DX9 and the second one DX10, or both are DX9 but the second one shows the use of HDR. In any case, they are pretty nice too. 8)

Its hard to say for sure but the textures look the same quality to me. Its almost as though those are the same shots taken at different time periods of the day? does crysis have real time night and day changes?
August 18, 2006 5:30:32 PM

Actually I think the top one looks prettier and more real...

But anyway, I will refuse to touch vista (and therefore DX10) untill someone bypasses and removes all the DRM and the 'security' M$ have added to it.
August 18, 2006 5:46:00 PM

Quote:

I've seen these samples before...I'm pretty sure they're HRD off/on shots.
August 18, 2006 5:48:00 PM

I'm still waiting to hear what the power requirements and price on these suckers will be.
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2006 5:56:32 PM

Quote:
But anyway, I will refuse to touch vista (and therefore DX10) untill someone bypasses and removes all the DRM and the 'security' M$ have added to it.

You and me both...
August 18, 2006 6:02:38 PM

I agree... the top pic looks far better and more realistic. Just look at the shadows on the front of the tank for one... and the textures on the gun barrel of the guy in the lower right
August 18, 2006 6:52:56 PM

top picture seems to have Light Blooming effect on the time of day, and the shads fromthe plants seem to be more "natural" that graphical. Interesting concept. :o 
August 18, 2006 7:19:05 PM

Quote:

1. Those are all theoretically renderings NOT actual in-game screens.

2. These games won't be out for AT LEAST 1 year.

3. Have fun waiting for DX10 while I play Oblivion maxed out at 1680*1050 with my 7950.

History Lesson:

First DX9 Card - ATi Radeon 9700 pro - released February 2003.

First DX9 Game - Far Cry - released March 2004.

ETA for first DX10 software - Q1 2008. Enjoy the wait.
August 18, 2006 7:22:27 PM

Quote:
Kinda blows my mind outa the water.

PS. Maybe by the time Vista comes out you will stop mixing your metaphors.
August 18, 2006 7:41:11 PM

Well not exactly true. Crysis is actually a DX9/DX10 game. Although id suspect you are right in that very few gameswill be DX10 until late 2007/early 2008
August 18, 2006 7:57:39 PM

Aw screw Crysis... I'm waiting for Spore! LOL :D  (but Crysis will be good too I'm sure ;)  )
August 18, 2006 8:10:35 PM

SPORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, I'm just waiting in general for a game like something fromt he matrix (as in VR) to come out... I'll probably be close to death by then, but I'll be able to die happy...
August 18, 2006 8:29:24 PM

The power of the next gen DX10 cards will be quite extreme compared to what we have now apparently, but at a cost. I've read around the forums a few times that the high end cards are rumored to consume up to 300W by themselves. My current Dell uses a 250W PSU to power the whole computer and enthusiasts buying high-end systems today tend to stick around ~600W PSUs. I'll hate the day we'll /need/ 800W-1kW PSU's to have a high-end gaming machine.
August 18, 2006 8:37:40 PM

Quote:

You and me both...

Ahahahahaha....

Let me guess.. you still game on Windows 95 because XP 'isn't secure'?

1) Learn some truth about DRM... not just rumors about what it does.

and

2) Watch everyone laugh at you (like above) in a year or two because you will be sitting at your computer saying "Yes, I would play all these awesome DX10 games... but Vista has DRM, so I can only sit here and watch a blank screen."

Good hippie... now roll over! :lol: 

In the end, you too will bend to the will of Microsoft and deal with it like the rest of the world.

Edit:
Also, OP, please change the grammar in your topic.
August 18, 2006 8:37:57 PM

Quote:

I think the comments on the page you reference say it all. Things like *yawn* and artist's rendition, and still pic not nearly the same as video, etc.
Personally I don't care how nice it makes stuff look, I refuse to expose myself to the blunders, errors and failures that Vista will surely have at least until SP2 comes out. Then maybe after all the early adoptors have helped Microsoft fix at least 50% of the major problems I will consider taking a chance.
August 19, 2006 7:49:16 AM

Quote:

1. Those are all theoretically renderings NOT actual in-game screens.

2. These games won't be out for AT LEAST 1 year.

3. Have fun waiting for DX10 while I play Oblivion maxed out at 1680*1050 with my 7950.

History Lesson:

First DX9 Card - ATi Radeon 9700 pro - released February 2003.

First DX9 Game - Far Cry - released March 2004.

ETA for first DX10 software - Q1 2008. Enjoy the wait.

Great history lesson, I wasnt upgrading to a DX10 card until it was fully compatible and debugged. But you are right, I had forgotten about the mess with DX9, im not touching it until some awesome games are out.
Simply not worth the waiting.
August 19, 2006 9:24:57 AM

Quote:

You and me both...

Ahahahahaha....

and

2) Watch everyone laugh at you (like above) in a year or two because you will be sitting at your computer saying "Yes, I would play all these awesome DX10 games... but Vista has DRM, so I can only sit here and watch a blank screen."

In the end, you too will bend to the will of Microsoft and deal with it like the rest of the world.

Edit:

1. HDCP and the fact that if I want to play High-Def content in high def resolutions. I'll need a new monitor. I happen to like my existing monitor and will not be replacing it. If the movie studios or M$ want to pay for a new monitor to make sure I dont copy their films I might go for it, but hadnt they better ensure we all have copy protected eyes too? Ans a poor short term memory so that we cant tell others what we have seen?

2. 'Secure' driver systems where things like games can refuse to run because my <random usb cupwarmer or something> driver isnt WHQL certified. This may not sond that bad to some but its the END of hacked driver releases when such drivers (having broken the WHQL signature) will also not allow you to play protected games.

3. A general attitude in the OS of you advising it and M$ having the final say, a huge change from the present it advising you and you having the final say. While this may keep ametures from screwing up their PCs, its no help to the rest of us.

Until the things like this are changed or cracked I will not be using Vista.

To be honest I think DX9 games look fine and will be happy to carry on playing them :) 
August 19, 2006 9:58:24 AM

yes it really is awsome but i probably wont be able to have one for ages, i mean the cash for one of those cards will be so drastic its almost sad.
and lets hope they're not going to have any fu%K ups like another weird fx series.. if you get what i mean
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2006 1:00:29 PM

Quote:

You and me both...

Ahahahahaha....

and

Edit:

Windows 95?! WTF...you dork..shutup and go play with your DOS box and text based adventures...

As far as DRM goes, this is hardly the forum to go on about DRM...however, it's not DRM in of itself I have an issue with, it's how it is implemented...can you say Digital Imprimatur? Can you say Sony/BMG and rootkit?! Can you say TiVO 7.2?! Can you say Windows Media DRM and Zango?! Can you say DVD's that are only playabel on "authorized" devices and only playable for a limited time?! Didn't think so...

Hey! Instead of spouting off a the mouth, how about providing some links to your truth about DRM?! Didn't think so...

Hippie?!?! Are you even old enough to know what I hippie is or is that something you got from watching South Park?
August 19, 2006 1:51:49 PM

Pardon my skepticism, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a "comparison" that:
1) doesn't compare apples to apples.
2) tries to convince me of a new tech is better when I am USING the older tech.
Just read the other posts right below this guys article... most of them agree with me.
Hey, what if I was looking at the two pix with a Duron, ATI 64 mb vid, and a 15inch monitor, DirectX7 or some crap? You get my meaning.
I'm sure we'll eventually all will be able to eke out some improvements in D10. Meanwhile, the best benefit I will get out of this will be lower prices for DX9 titles (maybe).
August 20, 2006 1:14:20 AM

I'm sure you really enjoy gaming on the ne operating system!! I know I would. But these people in this forum don't believe that dx10 will deliver life-like graphical rendering. I think that Vista is a promising OS, however, the ram might be a little bit of an issue
August 20, 2006 2:48:15 AM

Honestly im still praying Vista comes out in January. Problem after problem after problem. I say Vista comes out late March and the first directx10 game comes out late 2007.
August 20, 2006 6:48:58 AM

Quote:
Honestly im still praying Vista comes out in January. Problem after problem after problem. I say Vista comes out late March and the first directx10 game comes out late 2007.

Technically, Flight Simulator X is a DX10 game. They have to wait for official hardware and Vista in order to enable (and optimize) it's use through a patch. Until then, it'll work just fine with DX9...but the difference from 9 to 10 is supposed to be absolutely incredible (and I'm not talking about that artist's rendering that's floating around). I have a feeling it won't be the last game to do that sort of thing in the next 6 months. All I know is I can't wait to run it, because it looks phenomenal already.
August 20, 2006 10:39:33 AM

Quote:
The power of the next gen DX10 cards will be quite extreme compared to what we have now apparently, but at a cost. I've read around the forums a few times that the high end cards are rumored to consume up to 300W by themselves. My current Dell uses a 250W PSU to power the whole computer and enthusiasts buying high-end systems today tend to stick around ~600W PSUs. I'll hate the day we'll /need/ 800W-1kW PSU's to have a high-end gaming machine.

man lets be serious, 300W are impossible to dissipate from a single chip, those cards you say would burn themshelves if that amount of power is needed, so try not to get so excited.....
PD: sorry for my english, im from spain
August 20, 2006 12:33:35 PM

I agree with darkstar782, Vista will suck until the hackers get in to it and open it up. Sounds like MS is locking out alot of the the freeware and mods. Just think no ATItools, clockgen or your preferred OCer app and I'm sure you didn't pay for every app you run :wink: .
I think I'll hold off on vista till the guys how know more then me learn to stream line it and get around alot of the " security" that saves us from downloading MP3s and movies for free or a better driver. Just think back to how bad XP was at first, it takes time for every one to get up to speed.
Linux is looking better all the time as it seems to be gaining ground with hardware and software providers. I know it's get a hd in my box. I just hope I figure it out this time :oops: 
a b U Graphics card
August 20, 2006 7:52:37 PM

Quote:
But these people in this forum don't believe that dx10 will deliver life-like graphical rendering.

Yeah but who does think it will be 100% lifelike, heck if you know the standards and limits of DX10, anyone can find areas short of 'life-life' if they try. I doubt we'll see 'life-like' for a long time from now. As we've said in many threads there's limitations to all implementations, and what might give us closest to likelike IMO will be the eventual use of raytracing, but to get even close to the current level of 'shinyness' raytracing requires huge workloads, so who knows what implementation will ever get us true 'life-like', D3D12.0a or RayX 3.0c?

DX10 should be a leap, but like so many things the importance of that leap depends on the apps that exploit it and how well they are received. Crysis and UT2K7 and Halo2 might be those attactive apps, but if there's little difference than previous gens, then you might see the same 'meh!' reaction that they got for DX8.1 and DX9.0c.

Quote:
I think that Vista is a promising OS, however, the ram might be a little bit of an issue

Which was the case for each generation: Win3.1<W95<W98<W2K<XP (you'll notice the omission of one MEh OS :twisted: ). I owned all those sequentially and the thing I remember doing is upgrading ram. For 95->98 on my Thinkpad 380 I HAD to go from 16MB to 48 (-1 for graphics)to make it truely useable, and then as more apps came out move to 144. Then on my 300G desktop moving from W98SE to Win2K going from 128MB to 320MB, for XP I built a completely new system focusing on ultra fast 512MB, because the beta was terrible on my system. In light of Vista I bought 2GB of fast DDR2-667 memory for the laptop when upgrading for Oblivion. That I can get the new Merom system slap in these new styicks and be ready for Vista because I too have learned new OS= more memory, and even for Apple's OSX that's the case. For new top end game sometimes it also equals more memory.

The thing is Memory is dang CHEAP nowadays relatively speaking, and it will always get cheaper over time, heck it would cost me about 50% less for 2 - 1GB sticks of DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2 or OCZ Platinum ; than it did for my single stick of Corsair 512CL2. The best I can find 2GB of DDR2-1066 (PC8500) is almost the same price as that 512 I bought.

The thing about all this is to remember that you and those in that forum are talking about an unknown future, the NextGen hardware is not out yet to even show what all hardware acceleration will look like, right now it's either emulated on DX9 or all done on the CPU, neither of which gives us much ground to comment on it's utility or the full extent of it's features.

The one thing that seems to be certain is that with or without DX10 the next gen card should be better than the current, just like GF3<GF4<R9700<GF6800<GF7800<X1900 and the GF80/R600 should be better too, and who knows, we might see some nice boosts fromDX10 as well as some new features. So may be subtle like Geometric Instancing and some may be ery noticeable like HDR, but their value will depend alot on the audience receiving them, and some people will love them and some people will find them pointless, such is the nature of the beast.
!