RDNS failed in email full header

Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header? What can I do to fix this?

---------example-------------
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0

Thank you.

Roy Avery

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.
5 answers Last reply

    It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP
    address and there was no PTR record published. For mail servers it is
    important that you publish a reverse entry that matches the forward A record
    you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC 2317.

    You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
    http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
    if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.

    So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and
    you should be good to go.

    Regards,
    Ed Horley
    Microsoft MVP Server-Networking

    "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
    > Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header?
    > What can I do to fix this?
    >

    > ---------example-------------
    > Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    > emailservername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Roy Avery
    >

    > --
    > Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

    Thanks Ed.

    I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question though, did the RDNS fail
    against the sender's IP because the recipient did not have a PTR record, or because the sender did
    not have a PTR record?

    ---------example-------------
    Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);

    "Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address and there was no
    > PTR record published. For mail servers it is important that you publish a reverse entry that
    > matches the forward A record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC
    > 2317.
    >
    > You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
    > http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
    > if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.
    >
    > So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and you should be good to
    > go.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed Horley
    > Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
    >

    > "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
    >> Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header? What can I do to fix this?
    >>

    >> ---------example-------------
    >> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    >>

    >> Thank you.
    >>
    >> Roy Avery
    >>

    >> --
    >> Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

    It looks like it was because the sender did not have a PTR record.

    Regardless, you should make sure you have your set up! It will help you
    avoid issues long terms with sending and receiving e-mail from your MTA in
    the future.

    > Thanks Ed.
    >
    > I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question
    > though, did the RDNS fail against the sender's IP because the recipient
    > did not have a PTR record, or because the sender did not have a PTR
    > record?
    >
    > ---------example-------------
    > Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    > recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
    >

    > "Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP
    >> address and there was no PTR record published. For mail servers it is
    >> important that you publish a reverse entry that matches the forward A
    >> record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then
    >> RFC 2317.
    >>
    >> You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
    >> http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
    >> if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam
    >> techniques.
    >>
    >> So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and
    >> you should be good to go.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Ed Horley
    >> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
    >>

    >> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
    >>> Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header?
    >>> What can I do to fix this?
    >>>

    >>> ---------example-------------
    >>> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    >>> emailservername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
    >>>

    >>> Thank you.
    >>>
    >>> Roy Avery
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

    Thank you very much.

    > It looks like it was because the sender did not have a PTR record.
    >
    > Regardless, you should make sure you have your set up! It will help you avoid issues long terms
    > with sending and receiving e-mail from your MTA in the future.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ed Horley
    > Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
    >
    > "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Ed.
    >>
    >> I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question though, did the RDNS fail
    >> against the sender's IP because the recipient did not have a PTR record, or because the sender
    >> did not have a PTR record?
    >>
    >> ---------example-------------
    >> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
    >> recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
    >>

    >> "Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address and there was
    >>> no PTR record published. For mail servers it is important that you publish a reverse entry that
    >>> matches the forward A record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC
    >>> 2317.
    >>>
    >>> You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
    >>> http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
    >>> if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.
    >>>
    >>> So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and you should be good to
    >>> go.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Ed Horley
    >>> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
    >>>

    >>> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message

    If you have Trend IMSS with SPS with reverse lookup checking configured. It
    inserts "RDNS Failed" into the header.

    Cheers
    Simon
    ---