RDNS failed in email full header

Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header? What can I do to fix this?

---------example-------------
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0

Thank you.

Roy Avery

--
Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP
address and there was no PTR record published. For mail servers it is
important that you publish a reverse entry that matches the forward A record
you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC 2317.

You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.

So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and
you should be good to go.

Regards,
Ed Horley
Microsoft MVP Server-Networking

"Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
> Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header?
> What can I do to fix this?
>

> ---------example-------------
> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
> emailservername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
>

> Thank you.
>
> Roy Avery
>

> --
> Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

Thanks Ed.

I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question though, did the RDNS fail
against the sender's IP because the recipient did not have a PTR record, or because the sender did
not have a PTR record?

---------example-------------
Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);

"Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address and there was no
> PTR record published. For mail servers it is important that you publish a reverse entry that
> matches the forward A record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC
> 2317.
>
> You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
> http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
> if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.
>
> So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and you should be good to
> go.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Horley
> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
>

> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
>> Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header? What can I do to fix this?
>>

>> ---------example-------------
>> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
>>

>> Thank you.
>>
>> Roy Avery
>>

>> --
>> Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

It looks like it was because the sender did not have a PTR record.

Regardless, you should make sure you have your set up! It will help you
avoid issues long terms with sending and receiving e-mail from your MTA in
the future.

> Thanks Ed.
>
> I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question
> though, did the RDNS fail against the sender's IP because the recipient
> did not have a PTR record, or because the sender did not have a PTR
> record?
>
> ---------example-------------
> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
> recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
>

> "Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP
>> address and there was no PTR record published. For mail servers it is
>> important that you publish a reverse entry that matches the forward A
>> record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then
>> RFC 2317.
>>
>> You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
>> http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
>> if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam
>> techniques.
>>
>> So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and
>> you should be good to go.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ed Horley
>> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
>>

>> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
>>> Why do our incoming email messages have a "RDNS failed" in the header?
>>> What can I do to fix this?
>>>

>>> ---------example-------------
>>> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
>>> emailservername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
>>>

>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> Roy Avery
>>>

>>> --
>>> Remove "nospam_" from my email address to email me.

Thank you very much.

> It looks like it was because the sender did not have a PTR record.
>
> Regardless, you should make sure you have your set up! It will help you avoid issues long terms
> with sending and receiving e-mail from your MTA in the future.
>
> Regards,
> Ed Horley
> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
>
> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks Ed.
>>
>> I'll check out the presentation right away. I have a quick question though, did the RDNS fail
>> against the sender's IP because the recipient did not have a PTR record, or because the sender
>> did not have a PTR record?
>>
>> ---------example-------------
>> Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
>> recipient_email_servername with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.0.2195.6713);
>>

>> "Ed Horley" <no-spamed-usergroups1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> It means that the mail server tried to do a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address and there was
>>> no PTR record published. For mail servers it is important that you publish a reverse entry that
>>> matches the forward A record you have published in your zone. Please read RFC 2505 and then RFC
>>> 2317.
>>>
>>> You can also review my PowerPoint slide deck at:
>>> http://www.sfntug.org/index.php?option=com_weblinks&task=view&Itemid=4&catid=87&id=22
>>> if you want more details about what folks are doing as anti-spam techniques.
>>>
>>> So, in a nutshell, publish a Pointer Record (PTR) in the reverse file and you should be good to
>>> go.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ed Horley
>>> Microsoft MVP Server-Networking
>>>

>>> "Roy Avery" <roy_avery@nospam_cmwlaw.net> wrote in message

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

If you have Trend IMSS with SPS with reverse lookup checking configured. It
inserts "RDNS Failed" into the header.

Cheers
Simon
---