does windows xp 32bit run 64bit aps?

Hi, i'm very new to the 64bit world, hell i only got my new chip yesterday, it's a amd x2 3800+ 64bit.

The whole machine is as bellow (my signature is wrong cause i obviously upgraded)

AMD 64Bit x2 3800+ 64Bit
Giga-Byte GA-K8NF-9 Nforce 4
ATi 1800GTO 256MB PCI-X
1GB (512x2) DDR 400MHz

i also wanted to know if i was to run windows 64bit can i still run all my other aps that are for windows xp 32bit? like i said, i've really not got much of a clue when it comes to the 64bit world.. just want to squeaze more out of the pc.. oh and on a extra topic, could this run vista as well?
8 answers Last reply
More about does windows 32bit 64bit
  1. You can run 32bit apps in Windows XP x64 (of course, seeing as your CPU is 32 and 64 bit) but there have been a fairly substantial number of people who have had a worse experience with x64 XP than with normal XP, due to driver issues etc...

If, like you said, you are a '64 bit n00b', then I wouldn't bother, as there are very few 64 bit apps that normal people use anyway.
  2. The quick, and right for you answers are:
    Windows xp (non-64 edition) can not run 64 bit progs. It doesn't know what to do with the extra registers, so it pretends they dont exist.
    Windows xp 64 is backwards compatable with all software that was xp compatable.
  3. It wil run both 32 and 64 bit apps without problems. On 64 bit combined with SSE3 you get at least 10% of boost.
    However, if you play newer games or do video editing or other memory hungry processes, 1GB of ram is just the minimum; in many cases, having 1G on a 64 bit system is much like 512-768M on a 32 bit.
  4. when i replaced the board i made sure i had 4 slots this time, so i've got plenty of room for memory upgrades.
  5. As said many times to others in this forum...
    1. Windows XP x64 is very unstable and lacks of drivers
    2. It requires 50% more memory than Windows XP 32bit
    3. The 64bit apps for Windows are professional DB and CAD
    4. There is a little performance boost of about 6-7% in very CPU intensive apps, no gain at all for games

Stay with the 32bit version if don't need to run heavy load DB apps, you'll save to yourself many headaches!
  6. okay i've crossed 64bit windows from my head, so, finaly.. this machine, would you say it's fine to run vista then (when it's finaly released)
  7. Quote:
    okay i've crossed 64bit windows from my head, so, finaly.. this machine, would you say it's fine to run vista then (when it's finaly released)

Yes, it will definitely "suffice" in Vista. The processor's a dual-core 64-bit one, and you really can't ask for much more than that. (even as nice as Conroes sound...)

1GB of RAM will do you fine for now, though as you have had in mind, it won't be unreasonable to want 2, or even 4GB a year or so later after the Vista's landing dust has settled. (and Service Pack 1 has been released)

The motherboard is fine; pretty much any nForce-based board is excellent for AMD, and all they really differ in is various features.

Lastly, the video card is quite powerful, and will certainly serve you well for just about everything that the next couple of years can throw at it. Yes, some might crow about DirectX 10, but in reality, there is little to no reason to actually use a DirectX 10 card, at least for the next couple of years. Halo 2 for the PC will want one, but I think this, along with all of the other "DirectX 10 graphics" claims, are simply DirectX 9 paths re-coded to use DirectX 10; there MIGHT be a performance increase (a small one) but more likely, it'll simply be bloated up so it will "technically" be more advanced. Heck, we hardly have use of DirectX 9.0c/Shader model 3.0; HDR's an infant technology, and it appears that implementations on DirectX 9/SM 2.0 actually work better than the "newer" ones...
  8. Quote:
    As said many times to others in this forum...
    1. Windows XP x64 is very unstable and lacks of drivers
    2. It requires 50% more memory than Windows XP 32bit
    3. The 64bit apps for Windows are professional DB and CAD
    4. There is a little performance boost of about 6-7% in very CPU intensive apps, no gain at all for games

Stay with the 32bit version if don't need to run heavy load DB apps, you'll save to yourself many headaches!

1-did you experience the unstability by tourself or only heared about it?! It's 6 months that I work with x64 ; found all the drivers and never a problem. Every major supplier is providing 64bit drivers.
    2-Memory consumption is usually around 30-35%, never 50%.
    3-PErformance is boosted up to 16% for Athlon 64s and 10% for Conroes.
    4-Even now you have apps demanding more than the roof of 4G a 32 bit system puts on you and they will continue to grow. ONLY a 64 bit system will allow you to USE 8G (or more) RAM!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Windows XP