Is there such a thing as an "SC Crossover" coupler or cable

Hi,

We need to connect two GigE fiber interfaces, but we're still waiting
for a switch to arrive.

Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over the
transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?

I've been googling, but so far no luck.

Also, I think these interfaces came with some straight-through couplers
which allow us to extend the cables. Can we just plug the cable from
one interface cable into the coupler, and do the same for the other
interface cable, but "backwards", thus forming a cross-over?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't worked much with fiber
connections before.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
9 answers Last reply
More about thing crossover coupler cable

    A SC duplex cable (2 SC connectors on a "zip" pair of fiber) will
    probably have the two SC connectors placed side-by-side with a plastic
    housing that keeps them paired. Some housings simply have the SC snap
    into them, others have a plate that you have to slide out of the way to
    remove the connectors so you can swap them.

    On the "zip" cable one of the fibers will have labling on it noting the
    fiber type and length markers. We will put a wire tie on (barely snug)
    that lead of a patch cable at both ends, it helps us identify a fiber of
    the pair. One end with a wire tie will go into the xmit of the fiber
    interface on device A, and the corresponding end goes to the rcv
    interface on devicd B.

    JD

    ohaya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We need to connect two GigE fiber interfaces, but we're still waiting
    > for a switch to arrive.
    >
    > Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over the
    > transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?
    >
    > I've been googling, but so far no luck.
    >
    > Also, I think these interfaces came with some straight-through couplers
    > which allow us to extend the cables. Can we just plug the cable from
    > one interface cable into the coupler, and do the same for the other
    > interface cable, but "backwards", thus forming a cross-over?
    >
    > Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't worked much with fiber
    > connections before.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Jim

    JD,

    I've seen some "SC-to-SC Patch" cables (vs. "SC-to-SC Duplex Patch"
    cables), and they look similar, except that the "Duplex" cables have a
    housing attaching the two SC connectors together.

    But I noticed that some of the ones not labelled "Duplex" have black
    tips, instead of white tips. For example, here's a non-Duplex labelled
    cable:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0163916

    and here's one labelled "Duplex":

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0093906

    Also, it might be just be me, but it looks like the black tips are
    LONGER than the white tips?

    I'm thinking that if I got one of the former cable, since the connectors
    are not tied together, I could easily swap the ends to make my
    "crossover"?

    Jim

    JD wrote:

    > A SC duplex cable (2 SC connectors on a "zip" pair of fiber) will
    > probably have the two SC connectors placed side-by-side with a plastic
    > housing that keeps them paired. Some housings simply have the SC snap
    > into them, others have a plate that you have to slide out of the way to
    > remove the connectors so you can swap them.
    >
    > On the "zip" cable one of the fibers will have labling on it noting the
    > fiber type and length markers. We will put a wire tie on (barely snug)
    > that lead of a patch cable at both ends, it helps us identify a fiber of
    > the pair. One end with a wire tie will go into the xmit of the fiber
    > interface on device A, and the corresponding end goes to the rcv
    > interface on devicd B.
    >
    > JD
    >
    > ohaya wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We need to connect two GigE fiber interfaces, but we're still waiting
    > > for a switch to arrive.
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over the
    > > transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?
    > >
    > > I've been googling, but so far no luck.
    > >
    > > Also, I think these interfaces came with some straight-through couplers
    > > which allow us to extend the cables. Can we just plug the cable from
    > > one interface cable into the coupler, and do the same for the other
    > > interface cable, but "backwards", thus forming a cross-over?
    > >
    > > Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't worked much with fiber
    > > connections before.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Jim

    Hi,

    Oh, I forgot one other question: If you look at the description on
    those links, it says "100 Mbps". I thought we should be able to run
    GigE over these fiber optics cables?

    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > JD,
    >
    > I've seen some "SC-to-SC Patch" cables (vs. "SC-to-SC Duplex Patch"
    > cables), and they look similar, except that the "Duplex" cables have a
    > housing attaching the two SC connectors together.
    >
    > But I noticed that some of the ones not labelled "Duplex" have black
    > tips, instead of white tips. For example, here's a non-Duplex labelled
    > cable:
    >
    > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0163916
    >
    > and here's one labelled "Duplex":
    >
    > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0093906
    >
    > Also, it might be just be me, but it looks like the black tips are
    > LONGER than the white tips?
    >
    > I'm thinking that if I got one of the former cable, since the connectors
    > are not tied together, I could easily swap the ends to make my
    > "crossover"?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > JD wrote:
    > >
    > > A SC duplex cable (2 SC connectors on a "zip" pair of fiber) will
    > > probably have the two SC connectors placed side-by-side with a plastic
    > > housing that keeps them paired. Some housings simply have the SC snap
    > > into them, others have a plate that you have to slide out of the way to
    > > remove the connectors so you can swap them.
    > >
    > > On the "zip" cable one of the fibers will have labling on it noting the
    > > fiber type and length markers. We will put a wire tie on (barely snug)
    > > that lead of a patch cable at both ends, it helps us identify a fiber of
    > > the pair. One end with a wire tie will go into the xmit of the fiber
    > > interface on device A, and the corresponding end goes to the rcv
    > > interface on devicd B.
    > >
    > > JD
    > >
    > > ohaya wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > We need to connect two GigE fiber interfaces, but we're still waiting
    > > > for a switch to arrive.
    > > >
    > > > Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over the
    > > > transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?
    > > >
    > > > I've been googling, but so far no luck.
    > > >
    > > > Also, I think these interfaces came with some straight-through couplers
    > > > which allow us to extend the cables. Can we just plug the cable from
    > > > one interface cable into the coupler, and do the same for the other
    > > > interface cable, but "backwards", thus forming a cross-over?
    > > >
    > > > Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't worked much with fiber
    > > > connections before.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Jim

    Hi,

    I went into the office this morning, and found that we had a bunch of
    plastic "SC couplers". These are small plastic things and have female
    receptacles on both ends. Their meant to allow you to extend the SC
    cable by plugging in SC patch cables.

    But, I also looked at some SC cables we have, and they have those small,
    longer white tips. I would really like to try to do the crossover with
    one of the cables that I linked below, probably the non-duplex one (so I
    wouldn't have to split the connectors apart, with one of these SC
    couplers on each end.

    Can anyone confirm that the black and the white tips won't make a
    difference, i.e., would work?

    Thanks,
    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Oh, I forgot one other question: If you look at the description on
    > those links, it says "100 Mbps". I thought we should be able to run
    > GigE over these fiber optics cables?
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > JD,
    > >
    > > I've seen some "SC-to-SC Patch" cables (vs. "SC-to-SC Duplex Patch"
    > > cables), and they look similar, except that the "Duplex" cables have a
    > > housing attaching the two SC connectors together.
    > >
    > > But I noticed that some of the ones not labelled "Duplex" have black
    > > tips, instead of white tips. For example, here's a non-Duplex labelled
    > > cable:
    > >
    > > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0163916
    > >
    > > and here's one labelled "Duplex":
    > >
    > > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0093906
    > >
    > > Also, it might be just be me, but it looks like the black tips are
    > > LONGER than the white tips?
    > >
    > > I'm thinking that if I got one of the former cable, since the connectors
    > > are not tied together, I could easily swap the ends to make my
    > > "crossover"?
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > JD wrote:
    > > >
    > > > A SC duplex cable (2 SC connectors on a "zip" pair of fiber) will
    > > > probably have the two SC connectors placed side-by-side with a plastic
    > > > housing that keeps them paired. Some housings simply have the SC snap
    > > > into them, others have a plate that you have to slide out of the way to
    > > > remove the connectors so you can swap them.
    > > >
    > > > On the "zip" cable one of the fibers will have labling on it noting the
    > > > fiber type and length markers. We will put a wire tie on (barely snug)
    > > > that lead of a patch cable at both ends, it helps us identify a fiber of
    > > > the pair. One end with a wire tie will go into the xmit of the fiber
    > > > interface on device A, and the corresponding end goes to the rcv
    > > > interface on devicd B.
    > > >
    > > > JD

  5. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Hi,

    I think I got things backwards, the connectors with the white tips are
    shorter, but I think that I've also figured out why, and it's pretty
    stupid :(.

    I think that the image with the connectors with the black tips are
    actually the (black) protective covers (BIG sheepish gring)...

    Jim

    ohaya wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I went into the office this morning, and found that we had a bunch of
    > plastic "SC couplers". These are small plastic things and have female
    > receptacles on both ends. Their meant to allow you to extend the SC
    > cable by plugging in SC patch cables.
    >
    > But, I also looked at some SC cables we have, and they have those small,
    > longer white tips. I would really like to try to do the crossover with
    > one of the cables that I linked below, probably the non-duplex one (so I
    > wouldn't have to split the connectors apart, with one of these SC
    > couplers on each end.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm that the black and the white tips won't make a
    > difference, i.e., would work?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim
    >
    > ohaya wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Oh, I forgot one other question: If you look at the description on
    > > those links, it says "100 Mbps". I thought we should be able to run
    > > GigE over these fiber optics cables?
    > >
    > > Jim
    > >
    > > ohaya wrote:
    > > >
    > > > JD,
    > > >
    > > > I've seen some "SC-to-SC Patch" cables (vs. "SC-to-SC Duplex Patch"
    > > > cables), and they look similar, except that the "Duplex" cables have a
    > > > housing attaching the two SC connectors together.
    > > >
    > > > But I noticed that some of the ones not labelled "Duplex" have black
    > > > tips, instead of white tips. For example, here's a non-Duplex labelled
    > > > cable:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0163916
    > > >
    > > > and here's one labelled "Duplex":
    > > >
    > > > http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0093906
    > > >
    > > > Also, it might be just be me, but it looks like the black tips are
    > > > LONGER than the white tips?
    > > >
    > > > I'm thinking that if I got one of the former cable, since the connectors
    > > > are not tied together, I could easily swap the ends to make my
    > > > "crossover"?
    > > >
    > > > Jim

  6. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    In news:41549ABC.11066E47@cox.net,
    ohaya typed:
    > Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over the
    > transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?

    Yes, in fact all standard duplex SC patch cables and couplers
    are crossover (A to B, B to A).

    --
    Pero Volarevic
  7. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    Pero Volarevic wrote:

    > In news:41549ABC.11066E47@cox.net,
    > ohaya typed:
    >> Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over
    >> the
    >> transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?

    > Yes, in fact all standard duplex SC patch cables and couplers
    > are crossover (A to B, B to A).

    True, but not all manufacturers follow the standard in this regard, The
    best way is to follow the cable markings: on a zip-type cordage the marks
    are normally printed only on one side, so you always know which fiber ends
    where at the opposite end. One other trick is: you only need the crossover
    cable on one end, and the straight-through on the other. So, if you are
    buying two cables with clipped SCs of the same kind, you are bound to have
    that problem! I prefer to buy the SC-SC duplex cords with connectors NOT
    clipped together. That gives you the flexibility to swap the ends when
    needed.

    --
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD
    http://www.cabling-design.com

    http://www.cabling-design.com/forums
    comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 5351 messages and counting!
  8. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    "Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" wrote:

    > Pero Volarevic wrote:
    >
    > > In news:41549ABC.11066E47@cox.net,
    > > ohaya typed:
    > >> Is there such a thing as a crossover cable, that will cross over
    > >> the
    > >> transmit and receive, and with SC/female receptacles on both ends?
    >
    > > Yes, in fact all standard duplex SC patch cables and couplers
    > > are crossover (A to B, B to A).
    >
    > True, but not all manufacturers follow the standard in this regard, The
    > best way is to follow the cable markings: on a zip-type cordage the marks
    > are normally printed only on one side, so you always know which fiber ends
    > where at the opposite end. One other trick is: you only need the crossover
    > cable on one end, and the straight-through on the other. So, if you are
    > buying two cables with clipped SCs of the same kind, you are bound to have
    > that problem! I prefer to buy the SC-SC duplex cords with connectors NOT
    > clipped together. That gives you the flexibility to swap the ends when
    > needed.

    Hi All,

    I was able to get an SC-SC patch cable working today, but I'm still
    curious about why the links that I pointed to indicate "100 Mbps"?

    I am using this patch cable with GigE fiber interfaces, and it seems to
    be working.

    Jim
  9. Archived from groups: comp.dcom.lans.ethernet (More info?)

    I am assuming you are using multimode fiber.

    10/100 meg ethernet on multimode (62.5 micron) is good for 2 kilomter
    1000 meg (gig) on 62.5 multimode is good for 220 meters.
    1000 meg on 50 micron is good for 550 meters.

    JD

    ohaya wrote:

    > "Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com)" wrote:
    >
    >>Pero Volarevic wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:41549ABC.11066E47@cox.net,
    >>>ohaya typed:

    >>>Yes, in fact all standard duplex SC patch cables and couplers
    >>>are crossover (A to B, B to A).
    >>
    >>True, but not all manufacturers follow the standard in this regard, The
    >>best way is to follow the cable markings: on a zip-type cordage the marks
    >>are normally printed only on one side, so you always know which fiber ends
    >>where at the opposite end. One other trick is: you only need the crossover
    >>cable on one end, and the straight-through on the other. So, if you are
    >>buying two cables with clipped SCs of the same kind, you are bound to have
    >>that problem! I prefer to buy the SC-SC duplex cords with connectors NOT
    >>clipped together. That gives you the flexibility to swap the ends when
    >>needed.
    >

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was able to get an SC-SC patch cable working today, but I'm still
    > curious about why the links that I pointed to indicate "100 Mbps"?
    >
    > I am using this patch cable with GigE fiber interfaces, and it seems to
    > be working.
    >
    > Jim

Connection Ethernet Card Cable Networking