DNS zone transfers

Hello All,
I am running Win2k3 DNS servers at different locations. If I set all to
An Active directory integrated DNS, zone transfers should occur to all
DNS locations. How exactly does the DNS update from machine to machine
and how do you determine which machine has this role, if any?
I seem to be having different entries on some of my DNS servers. I am
under the impression that they should look exactly alike across the board.
TIA,
Altria

In news:eUOZ0Z09EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Altria <urbantec92@msn.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello All,
> I am running Win2k3 DNS servers at different locations.
> If I set all to An Active directory integrated DNS, zone
> transfers should occur to all DNS locations. How exactly
> does the DNS update from machine to machine and how do
> you determine which machine has this role, if any?
> I seem to be having different entries on some of my DNS
> servers. I am under the impression that they should look
> exactly alike across the board. TIA,
> Altria

All records, except the SOA primary Name server and zone serial should be
the same. On ADI zone the server the zone is on will be the SOA Primary. The
zone serial is not relevant in AD.
If you are not getting replication errors everything is OK.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Hello,

Active Directory integrated DNS doesn't do zone transfers as they are done
for standard primary zones. The zone data for Active Directory integrated
zones is replicated via Active Directory. If you seem to have different
entries on some DNS servers I would first look at the Directory Services
event logs to see if there are any replication errors. Replication problems
would cause DNS data for Active Directory integrated zones to be
inconsistent and would also cause other Active Directory data to be
inconsistent as well.

Michael Vargo
Enterprise Platforms Support Networking Team
Windows NT, 2000 & 2003 MCSE