Win2000 DSN forgets who it is - additional questions

Is it safe and does it work correctly to have DNS load from file on a Domain
Controller where the Domain is an Active Directory Zone?

It just occurred to me from reading other posts that my DNS is set to read
from Active Directory and the Registery. I'm just wondering if this will
fix my problems of DNS not being able to remember its own IP number.

"J Nolan" <janolan@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Is it safe and does it work correctly to have DNS load from file on a
Domain
> Controller where the Domain is an Active Directory Zone?

That's a little unclear...

> It just occurred to me from reading other posts that my DNS is set to read
> from Active Directory and the Registery. I'm just wondering if this will
> fix my problems of DNS not being able to remember its own IP number.

AD-integrated DNS can have ordindary secondaries if that
is what you mean.

For the DNS server to resolve it's own address, it must be
registered in the correct (it's own) zone -- which for AD
machines is usually the SAME zone, but doesn't have to
be so as a general rule (e.g., many ISP DNS servers are
IN the ISPs zone, but hold the zones for dozens or hundreds
of other customer zones.)

If you mean the REVERSE or Ptr records, then remember this
is completely separate from forward zones and again the DNS
server has to be listed IN that (now the Reverse) zone.

--
Herb Martin

In news:vqTEd.4477$C52.3165@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net,
J Nolan <janolan@earthlink.net> made a post then I commented below
> Is it safe and does it work correctly to have DNS load from file on a
> Domain Controller where the Domain is an Active Directory Zone?
>
> It just occurred to me from reading other posts that my DNS is set to
> read from Active Directory and the Registery. I'm just wondering if
> this will fix my problems of DNS not being able to remember its own
> IP number.

If the DNS server IP properties are set to use itself, it then should be
able to resolve itself.

Can you show us an ipconfig /all of this machine please?

--?
Regards,
Ace

G O E A G L E S !!!