Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to add ISP mail server mx record?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 6:23:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

I am a newbie on DNS, please help. I am figuring out how to add my
ISP's mail server address into my Windows 2000 DNS records. I know how
to get around but don't know where to start or where to place the
records.

Do I need to set up a new zone or just create a mx record of the ISP
address on the forward look up zone?

Right now, emails can be sent out but incoming emails from outside are
bounced back to the sender saying that the receipient does not exists.

Please help. Cheers.



--
pbyeoh
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message873116.html
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:07:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

pbyeoh wrote:
> I am a newbie on DNS, please help. I am figuring out how to add my
> ISP's mail server address into my Windows 2000 DNS records. I know
> how to get around but don't know where to start or where to place the
> records.
>
> Do I need to set up a new zone or just create a mx record of the ISP
> address on the forward look up zone?
>
> Right now, emails can be sent out but incoming emails from outside are
> bounced back to the sender saying that the receipient does not exists.
>
> Please help. Cheers.

Your MX records are in your public DNS - not your internal DNS. If you're
hosting this locally, rethink it - leave your domain's public DNS with your
ISP, registrar, best friend's cousin's orthodontist, etc.... well, not the
last one, really.

What's your email domain name, if you don't mind posting it?
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:18:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> *pbyeoh wrote:
> > I am a newbie on DNS, please help. I am figuring out how to add
> my
> > ISP's mail server address into my Windows 2000 DNS records. I
> know
> > how to get around but don't know where to start or where to place
> the
> > records.
> >
> > Do I need to set up a new zone or just create a mx record of the
> ISP
> > address on the forward look up zone?
> >
> > Right now, emails can be sent out but incoming emails from outside
> are
> > bounced back to the sender saying that the receipient does not
> exists.
> >
> > Please help. Cheers.
>
> Your MX records are in your public DNS - not your internal DNS. If
> you're
> hosting this locally, rethink it - leave your domain's public DNS
> with your
> ISP, registrar, best friend's cousin's orthodontist, etc.... well,
> not the
> last one, really.
>
> What's your email domain name, if you don't mind posting it? *

It's call-systems.com



--
pbyeoh
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message873116.html
Related resources
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:00:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

pbyeoh wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> *pbyeoh wrote:
>>> I am a newbie on DNS, please help. I am figuring out how to add my
>>> ISP's mail server address into my Windows 2000 DNS records. I know
>>> how to get around but don't know where to start or where to place
>>> the records.
>>>
>>> Do I need to set up a new zone or just create a mx record of the ISP
>>> address on the forward look up zone?
>>>
>>> Right now, emails can be sent out but incoming emails from outside
>>> are bounced back to the sender saying that the receipient does not
>>> exists.
>>>
>>> Please help. Cheers.
>>
>> Your MX records are in your public DNS - not your internal DNS. If
>> you're
>> hosting this locally, rethink it - leave your domain's public DNS
>> with your
>> ISP, registrar, best friend's cousin's orthodontist, etc.... well,
>> not the
>> last one, really.
>>
>> What's your email domain name, if you don't mind posting it? *
>
> It's call-systems.com

See http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=call...

Your MX records are:

10 mx1.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.52 [TTL=86400] [UK]
20 mx2.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.55 [TTL=86400] [UK]

If you want to change them, ask the company who hosts your public
DNS....your two nameservers are
ns1.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.4 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
ns2.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.133 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 7:17:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> *pbyeoh wrote:
> > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
> >
> > It's call-systems.com
>
> See http://tinyurl.com/3l9qe
>
> Your MX records are:
>
> 10 mx1.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.52 [TTL=86400]
> [UK]
> 20 mx2.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.55 [TTL=86400]
> [UK]
>
> If you want to change them, ask the company who hosts your public
> DNS....your two nameservers are
> ns1.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.4 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
> ns2.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.133 (NO GLUE)] [UK] *


Thanks!! It's helps to know what to look for. I found out that Network
Solutions had expired the domain and moved it to the renewal and
deletion nameservers thus losing all my information. Got that renewed
now and everything's allright. Cheers. :) 



--
pbyeoh
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message873116.html
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 12:40:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

pbyeoh wrote:
> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>> *pbyeoh wrote:
>>> Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
>>>
>>> It's call-systems.com
>>
>> See http://tinyurl.com/3l9qe
>>
>> Your MX records are:
>>
>> 10 mx1.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.52 [TTL=86400]
>> [UK]
>> 20 mx2.ex.eclipse.net.uk. [TTL=7200] IP=212.104.129.55 [TTL=86400]
>> [UK]
>>
>> If you want to change them, ask the company who hosts your public
>> DNS....your two nameservers are
>> ns1.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.4 (NO GLUE)] [UK]
>> ns2.eclipse.net.uk. [212.104.129.133 (NO GLUE)] [UK] *
>
>
> Thanks!! It's helps to know what to look for. I found out that
> Network Solutions had expired the domain and moved it to the renewal
> and deletion nameservers thus losing all my information. Got that
> renewed now and everything's allright. Cheers. :) 

Ah - there you go.
They ought to e-mail you before this happens - you might want to set it up
to e-mail an external address (your home e-mail?).
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:26:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:23:43 -0600, pbyeoh
<pbyeoh.1ipxp5@mail.webservertalk.com> wrote:

>
>I am a newbie on DNS, please help. I am figuring out how to add my
>ISP's mail server address into my Windows 2000 DNS records. I know how
>to get around but don't know where to start or where to place the
>records.
>
>Do I need to set up a new zone or just create a mx record of the ISP
>address on the forward look up zone?

If your ISP has your DNS, then they add the MX records, not you.

>Right now, emails can be sent out but incoming emails from outside are
>bounced back to the sender saying that the receipient does not exists.

That's not an MX record issue. If your ISP handles the email, discuss
it with them.

Jeff
!