MX records

I have added two MX records in the external DNS.
[10] smtpr1.domain.com
[20] smtpr2.domain.com

When shutdown server smtpr2.domain.com:
smtpr1.domain.com works fine with incoming & outgoing internet mails.

When shutdown server smtpr1.domain.com:
smtpr2.domain.com has no problem relaying outgoing internet mails but cannot
received incoming internet mails.

smtpr1.domain.com has higher priority.
When smtpr1 is not avaliable, is all emails suppose to go throught
smtpr2.domain.com?

I noticed that smtpr2 server is not accepting connection from outside world,
there's why it fails to submit mails to smtpr2.domain.com
And now only one smtp server, smtpr1.domain.com, is doing the works.
Any advice?

"Emyeu" <cmchong20@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have added two MX records in the external DNS.
> [10] smtpr1.domain.com
> [20] smtpr2.domain.com
>
> When shutdown server smtpr2.domain.com:
> smtpr1.domain.com works fine with incoming & outgoing internet mails.
>
> When shutdown server smtpr1.domain.com:
> smtpr2.domain.com has no problem relaying outgoing internet mails but
> cannot received incoming internet mails.
>
> smtpr1.domain.com has higher priority.
> When smtpr1 is not avaliable, is all emails suppose to go throught
> smtpr2.domain.com?

In news:%23Mi74GJ%23EHA.3988@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Emyeu <cmchong20@yahoo.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I noticed that smtpr2 server is not accepting connection
> from outside world, there's why it fails to submit mails
> to smtpr2.domain.com
> And now only one smtp server, smtpr1.domain.com, is doing
> the works.
> Any advice?

Without knowing the mail domain, it is only a guess, maybe you didn't map
smtpr2's public address to it?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

I did map both the smtpr1 & smtpr2 public address and no problem when ping
both FQDN or public IP addresses.

In external DNS server,
when i telnet to smtpr1, no problem.
when telnet to smtpr2, it prompts connection failed. I am pretty sure the
physical connection is ok!