DNS problems win 2k & 2003

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

I had have 2 win 2003 dc's with DNS set up correctly on the main site. All
clients are set maually (no DHCP).

On two remote sites I have 2 Win 2000 dc's.
I have installed DNS on these two servers. When adding a forward lookup zone
I added the domain name and selected AD intergrated.

Problems:
1. A records are lost on the 2003 DNS. And it looks like some records are
slowly comming back.

2. On the 2000 DC's only the domain zone is there the Default application
directory's (_msdsc.xxx.local) have not been created nor have the reverse
lookup zones - all of which are AD Intergrated.

Any ideas why?

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

I have seen a DNS event ID 4515 which states that there are 2 copies of the
zone in different location in AD.

Upon following the link I found out that win 2000 DNS doesn't support 2
locations of the zone file in AD compared to Win 2003. I have deleted the
zones in the win 2000 dns servers.
So far so good. If anyone has more info please post. TIA

"carlos" <carlos_kennerley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I had have 2 win 2003 dc's with DNS set up correctly on the main site. All
> clients are set maually (no DHCP).
>
> On two remote sites I have 2 Win 2000 dc's.
> I have installed DNS on these two servers. When adding a forward lookup
zone
> I added the domain name and selected AD intergrated.
>
> Problems:
> 1. A records are lost on the 2003 DNS. And it looks like some records are
> slowly comming back.
>
> 2. On the 2000 DC's only the domain zone is there the Default application
> directory's (_msdsc.xxx.local) have not been created nor have the reverse
> lookup zones - all of which are AD Intergrated.
>
> Any ideas why?

Event ID 4515 is logged in the DNS Server log in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=867464

br,
Denis

"carlos" wrote:

> I have seen a DNS event ID 4515 which states that there are 2 copies of the
> zone in different location in AD.
>
> Upon following the link I found out that win 2000 DNS doesn't support 2
> locations of the zone file in AD compared to Win 2003. I have deleted the
> zones in the win 2000 dns servers.
> So far so good. If anyone has more info please post. TIA
>
> "carlos" <carlos_kennerley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I had have 2 win 2003 dc's with DNS set up correctly on the main site. All
> > clients are set maually (no DHCP).
> >
> > On two remote sites I have 2 Win 2000 dc's.
> > I have installed DNS on these two servers. When adding a forward lookup
> zone
> > I added the domain name and selected AD intergrated.
> >
> > Problems:
> > 1. A records are lost on the 2003 DNS. And it looks like some records are
> > slowly comming back.
> >
> > 2. On the 2000 DC's only the domain zone is there the Default application
> > directory's (_msdsc.xxx.local) have not been created nor have the reverse
> > lookup zones - all of which are AD Intergrated.
> >
> > Any ideas why?

carlos

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Thanks!
I deleted the domain zone on the 2000 servers which replicated to all
servers, this removed the second zone of the same name in AD created by the
2000 servers. It did not deleted the orginal DNS zone (phew!)
The 2003 dns now loaded the orginal domain zone info and everything is OK
again.

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <DenisWongHongKong@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:81EF8D3B-4B61-4D39-8A97-D84E0FE72298@microsoft.com...