To much SLI focus

Would you like to se less cutting edge tests and more tests of graphic cards you would actualy want

• Yes, I use this page as a guide to buy hardware

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No, I read this for fun and state of the art is more fun than ordenary stuff

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • You can''t put me in a box!

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

karakzan

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
First of all think you for a great website i have read it nearly every week for the last 8 years.

But is it just me or is there a focus on hardware which 99.99% of all pc users would ever need?
Fx the Dual graphics card solutions. Seriously only the most hardcore gamers would ever think of spending that much money on graphic cards when everyone knows you get more for your money by buying a new card every year instead of spending 3 or 4 times as much on a solution which is proberly barely able to run games in full quality a year later.
Now I know that if i was a hardware tester I would properly also prefere to test the state of the art hardware solutions but these tests are not that usefull to most readers for the reasons mentioned above.
Not to say that there sould not be any of these articles since i to enjoy reading them but ocationaly i do need to buy a new computer and therefore i would like at least a majority of articles to be usefull for this purpose.

Agen think you for one of the most interesting sites on the web.

k0rn_h0li0

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
well are you looking for a dual mode or just regular it would depend on what your mobo is first and from there think about what you need and what your going to do before you jump into graphics and all that.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
There are plenty of reviews and commentaries on midrange/lowend all over the net...forums, reviews..you should look around more. Buying new hardware usually gives a better incentive to do research.

But is it just me or is there a focus on hardware which 99.99% of all pc users would ever need?

Tom's is an enthusiast site, always has been.

It's primary focus is not the Intel integrated or X1300 vs GF7300 than the majority of the population buy, it's about the hardware that the enthusiasts buy (which is likely ~10% of the population), and that is what the marketing and PR firms of the big hardware companies want most too.

Sure it's nice to know how your old GF4ti hold up against the new integrated and low-end solutions, but really, it's a review that should be done when there's time.

THG does do those reviews on occasion, but they do take time so they will never be the majority of reviews.

karakzan

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
First of all i am preaty sure that 10% of the population is hardware enthusiasts is a little off but that is not the most importent thing anyway.

One of the articles i really liked was the "Build your own" was the http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/12/your_diy_gaming_rig_for_720/ article.
This kind of article is very usefull. I have had some trouble with incompabatebility between components which on paper should function perfectly together. Just the fact that someone has assembled a simular configuration and got it to work perfectly can be of great help when trying to navigate the jungle of computing hardware.

Basicaly I just want more of those :D

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006

Tom's is an enthusiast site, always has been.

It's primary focus is not the Intel integrated or X1300 vs GF7300 than the majority of the population buy, it's about the hardware that the enthusiasts buy (which is likely ~10% of the population), and that is what the marketing and PR firms of the big hardware companies want most too.

Sure it's nice to know how your old GF4ti hold up against the new integrated and low-end solutions, but really, it's a review that should be done when there's time.

THG does do those reviews on occasion, but they do take time so they will never be the majority of reviews.

well i like reading the new bench marks and articals about the new video cards or cpu's or whatever. but in the end it is nice to have benchmarks for cards like 6'series. Radion 9500 series- x1300 series. just cus its nice to see if we would be able to play the games even if its on medium

Synergy6

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
If you really wanted to reflect the PC using public, the most-reviewed GPUs would be Intel. I wouldn't want to put the review staff through the pain of watching 3DMark06 on integrated graphics.

But then again, if you *really* wanted to reflect the majority, you'd remember that most PCs are either sold via Dell, BestBuy/similar, or through work. In these instances it is unlikely that any real research will be done, other than across the same vendor's models. Therefore we should close down Tom's as it isn't helping those who buy a $300 PC from Dell anyway.

Synergy6