TES question

My first small attempt at a modification (of an existing mod) has failed.
Tried to change the head and hair of a NPC but when I reload game it is
still the same.
When I reload the data file in TES it shows the NPC with the new head and
hair...am I missing something obvious?
8 answers Last reply
More about question

    "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > My first small attempt at a modification (of an existing mod) has failed.
    > Tried to change the head and hair of a NPC but when I reload game it is
    > still the same.
    > When I reload the data file in TES it shows the NPC with the new head and
    > hair...am I missing something obvious?

    Make sure your mod is enabled in the launcher (in Data files)

    If you have any other mods loaded, make sure yours has a later date/time
    than any others - or they may change things back.

    Mark Walton wrote:
    > "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> My first small attempt at a modification (of an existing mod) has
    >> failed. Tried to change the head and hair of a NPC but when I reload
    >> game it is still the same.
    >> When I reload the data file in TES it shows the NPC with the new
    >> head and hair...am I missing something obvious?
    >>

    > Make sure your mod is enabled in the launcher (in Data files)
    >
    > If you have any other mods loaded, make sure yours has a later
    > date/time than any others - or they may change things back.

    The mod is selected in data files. I don't see how other mods could change
    it back as they all use the better heads. Besides...doesn't working on a mod
    and then saving automatically date it last?

    This what I did in TES. I have a companion mod but I didn't like the head
    (I am using better bodies and a head pack). I made the companion mod the
    active file and also selected the better bodies and head pack. I then
    changed the head and hair on the NPC and saved. When I then reload the game
    the companion's head remains the same as it was. When I then open the
    companion mod again with TES it shows the new head and hair .nifs being
    used.

    > Mark Walton wrote:
    >> "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> My first small attempt at a modification (of an existing mod) has
    >>> failed. Tried to change the head and hair of a NPC but when I reload
    >>> game it is still the same.
    >>> When I reload the data file in TES it shows the NPC with the new
    >>> head and hair...am I missing something obvious?
    >>>

    >> Make sure your mod is enabled in the launcher (in Data files)
    >>
    >> If you have any other mods loaded, make sure yours has a later
    >> date/time than any others - or they may change things back.
    >
    > The mod is selected in data files. I don't see how other mods could change
    > it back as they all use the better heads. Besides...doesn't working on a
    > mod
    > and then saving automatically date it last?
    >
    > This what I did in TES. I have a companion mod but I didn't like the head
    > (I am using better bodies and a head pack). I made the companion mod the
    > active file and also selected the better bodies and head pack. I then
    > changed the head and hair on the NPC and saved. When I then reload the
    > game
    > the companion's head remains the same as it was. When I then open the
    > companion mod again with TES it shows the new head and hair .nifs being
    > used.

    I'm not 100% sure but thinking about it, if the NPC is already in existance
    I think the game save will have the info on that character. So, it remembers
    the head from before.

    You could try making a copy of your game save, using TESAME to clean out the
    NPCC entry for that character... or putting an extra copy of the character
    in the toolset, next to the original, and checking that they are both there.
    If so, you could destroy the original with the console somehow. Or, start a
    new game with your mod loaded.

    Mark Walton wrote:
    > "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Mark Walton wrote:
    >>> "Angof" <oan1vgofut@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> Make sure your mod is enabled in the launcher (in Data files)
    >>>
    >>> If you have any other mods loaded, make sure yours has a later
    >>> date/time than any others - or they may change things back.
    >>
    >> The mod is selected in data files. I don't see how other mods could
    >> change it back as they all use the better heads. Besides...doesn't
    >> working on a mod
    >> and then saving automatically date it last?
    >>
    >> This what I did in TES. I have a companion mod but I didn't like the
    >> head (I am using better bodies and a head pack). I made the
    >> companion mod the active file and also selected the better bodies
    >> and head pack. I then changed the head and hair on the NPC and
    >> saved. When I then reload the game
    >> the companion's head remains the same as it was. When I then open the
    >> companion mod again with TES it shows the new head and hair .nifs
    >> being used.
    >>

    > I'm not 100% sure but thinking about it, if the NPC is already in
    > existance I think the game save will have the info on that character.
    > So, it remembers the head from before.
    >
    > You could try making a copy of your game save, using TESAME to clean
    > out the NPCC entry for that character... or putting an extra copy of
    > the character in the toolset, next to the original, and checking that
    > they are both there. If so, you could destroy the original with the
    > console somehow. Or, start a new game with your mod loaded.

    Heads and hair are not normally saved according to a 'dirty save' guide I
    read but I can't see what else it can be.

    Solution to this is found here:
    http://emma.tesmods.net/faq.htm

    If an NPC is already existing in the game, most changes you do in the CS
    will be ignored. Your savegame overwrites your changes done in the CS.
    So by cleaning the savegame from the NPC_ entry you force the game to
    restore the NPC to "defaults", which is now what your new mod defines.
    Alternatively you can start a new game, but I suppose that's not what
    you want to do. Or go back to a savegame before you have met that NPC,
    which is sometimes not much of a loss if you are lucky.

    Cleaning NPC_ entries can be done using the CS as explained in Emmas FAQ
    mentioned above, or using a couple of savegame editors. My favourite is
    "Morrowind Enchanted Editor", but there are other good ones available.
    Take care to just delete the NPC_ entry, *NOT* the NPCC entry.

    Inventory should stay, as this is stored in the NPCC entry. Not sure
    about skills, though, if the NPC trained them in some way.

    Peter Strempel wrote:
    > Solution to this is found here:
    > http://emma.tesmods.net/faq.htm
    >
    > If an NPC is already existing in the game, most changes you do in the
    > CS will be ignored. Your savegame overwrites your changes done in the
    > CS. So by cleaning the savegame from the NPC_ entry you force the
    > game to restore the NPC to "defaults", which is now what your new mod
    > defines. Alternatively you can start a new game, but I suppose that's
    > not what you want to do. Or go back to a savegame before you have met
    > that NPC, which is sometimes not much of a loss if you are lucky.
    >
    > Cleaning NPC_ entries can be done using the CS as explained in Emmas
    > FAQ mentioned above, or using a couple of savegame editors. My
    > favourite is "Morrowind Enchanted Editor", but there are other good
    > ones available. Take care to just delete the NPC_ entry, *NOT* the
    > NPCC entry.
    >
    > Inventory should stay, as this is stored in the NPCC entry. Not sure
    > about skills, though, if the NPC trained them in some way.

    Thanks...I'll give it a go.

    Angof wrote:
    > Peter Strempel wrote:
    >> Solution to this is found here:
    >> http://emma.tesmods.net/faq.htm
    >>
    >> If an NPC is already existing in the game, most changes you do in the
    >> CS will be ignored. Your savegame overwrites your changes done in the
    >> CS. So by cleaning the savegame from the NPC_ entry you force the
    >> game to restore the NPC to "defaults", which is now what your new mod
    >> defines. Alternatively you can start a new game, but I suppose that's
    >> not what you want to do. Or go back to a savegame before you have met
    >> that NPC, which is sometimes not much of a loss if you are lucky.
    >>
    >> Cleaning NPC_ entries can be done using the CS as explained in Emmas
    >> FAQ mentioned above, or using a couple of savegame editors. My
    >> favourite is "Morrowind Enchanted Editor", but there are other good
    >> ones available. Take care to just delete the NPC_ entry, *NOT* the
    >> NPCC entry.
    >>
    >> Inventory should stay, as this is stored in the NPCC entry. Not sure
    >> about skills, though, if the NPC trained them in some way.
    >
    > Thanks...I'll give it a go.

    Worked a treat...thanks again. My first simple attempt at modifiation has
    given me a few problems so I've decided to put back the release date of my
    total conversion to 2025 ;-)

Games Video Games