DNS PTR records and Replication

We have 2 DNS servers, but when i create a record and select to added
an associated PTR (Pointer) record it doesn't do it. i have to add
these manually.

Does anypne know why?

Also the only replication that occurs between the 2 DNS servers is in
the forward lookup zones. No relication at all occurs between the
reverse lookup zones.

Can someone help

TIA

NIck Toseland
9 answers Last reply
More about records replication

    > >We have 2 DNS servers, but when i create a record and select to
    added
    >> an associated PTR (Pointer) record it doesn't do it. i have to add
    > >these manually.

    >> Does anypne know why?

    >Which is the Primary? Which is the Secondary?

    Primary is on a Server called ELROND
    Secondary is on a sever called FILEPRINT????

    >> Also the only replication that occurs between the 2 DNS servers is
    in
    >>the forward lookup zones. No relication at all occurs between the
    >> reverse lookup zones.

    >Replication for each is SEPARATE. There is NO
    >(technical) connect between a Reverse and Forward
    >zone.

    so is there no way of replicating what is in the reverse lookup zones
    on the ELROND DNS SERVER to the same reverse lookup zones on the
    FILEPRINT DNS SERVER

    Thanks

    Nick

    "Nick" <nickt9999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > We have 2 DNS servers, but when i create a record and select to added
    > an associated PTR (Pointer) record it doesn't do it. i have to add
    > these manually.
    >
    > Does anypne know why?

    Which is the Primary? Which is the Secondary?

    > Also the only replication that occurs between the 2 DNS servers is in
    > the forward lookup zones. No relication at all occurs between the
    > reverse lookup zones.

    Replication for each is SEPARATE. There is NO
    (technical) connect between a Reverse and Forward
    zone.

    All such (apparent) connections are human interpretation
    (e.g., we know the machines in a particulary zone mostly
    happen to have addresses in the same Reverse zone range.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > TIA
    >
    > NIck Toseland

    Absolutely, is the FILEPrint server's reverse zone
    set to use ELROND server as the "master"?

    How do i check that?

    What happens when you then manual "refresh from
    master"?

    Just Refreshes and does nothing else...

    If the above doesn't fix it, take a look at the SERIAL
    number on the SOA record (in the zone properties is
    easiest) and see if the Secondary is (incorrectly) higher
    than the Primary.

    If higher, a secondary will not copy. If that is the
    problem it is probably easier to delete and recreate the
    zone giving Primary-ELROND as the master (again.)

    Serial Numbers under the SOA tab

    ELROND > Forward Lookup Zone > s1.com = 4
    ELROND > Forward Lookup Zone > uk.sentry.net = 377
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.100.x subnet = 128
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.101.x subnet = 18
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.103.x subnet = 1
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.106.x subnet = 12
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >62.164.163.x subnet = 151
    ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >137.223.225.x subnet = 20

    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.100.x subnet = 1
    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.101.x subnet = 1
    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.103.x subnet = 1
    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.106.x subnet = 1
    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >62.164.163.x subnet = 1
    FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >137.223.225.x subnet = 1

    > Absolutely, is the FILEPrint server's reverse zone
    > set to use ELROND server as the "master"?
    >
    > How do i check that?

    Look on the Zone properties (right click) in the MMC
    (connect to that particular server of course.)

    > What happens when you then manual "refresh from
    > master"?
    >
    > Just Refreshes and does nothing else...

    Well, are you IMPLYING they are wrong after the
    refresh (that is the replication)?

    > If the above doesn't fix it, take a look at the SERIAL
    > number on the SOA record (in the zone properties is
    > easiest) and see if the Secondary is (incorrectly) higher
    > than the Primary.
    >

    > If higher, a secondary will not copy. If that is the
    > problem it is probably easier to delete and recreate the
    > zone giving Primary-ELROND as the master (again.)

    Also look on the Master (in this case ELROND) to make
    sure it PERMITS zone transfers to the IP of FILEPRINT
    (or to all, or etc.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Serial Numbers under the SOA tab
    >
    > ELROND > Forward Lookup Zone > s1.com = 4
    > ELROND > Forward Lookup Zone > uk.sentry.net = 377
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.100.x subnet = 128
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.101.x subnet = 18
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.103.x subnet = 1
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.106.x subnet = 12
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >62.164.163.x subnet = 151
    > ELROND > Reverse Lookup Zone >137.223.225.x subnet = 20
    >
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.100.x subnet = 1
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.101.x subnet = 1
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.103.x subnet = 1
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >172.30.106.x subnet = 1
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >62.164.163.x subnet = 1
    > FILEPRINT > Reverse Lookup Zone >137.223.225.x subnet = 1

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    Herb, this DNS setup is complete screwed up... Why did i get give this
    task ... arrgghhh

    When i create a new Zone on the ELROND server, Dynamic updates
    defaults to NO ans there is only one Name server entry under the Name
    Servers tab, which says to me that somebody has missed some config
    somewhere?

    any ideas
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    And voila, it is now replicating when i click refresh... Herb your a
    great help....

    BUT I give up with the PTR records..

    as when i create a new host in the forward lookup zone

    ie 172.30.100.20 and select the "Create associated PTR record" check
    box

    it does not add an entry in the reverse lookup zone
    "100.30.172.in-addr.arpa.dns"

    one minor problem
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > Herb, this DNS setup is complete screwed up... Why did i get give this
    > task ... arrgghhh

    We will help. You will learn.

    DNS is NOT hard but it can require PRECISION at times.

    > When i create a new Zone on the ELROND server, Dynamic updates
    > defaults to NO ans there is only one Name server entry under the Name
    > Servers tab,

    So add the other one by name or IP.

    > which says to me that somebody has missed some config
    > somewhere?

    Or did it from another machine. The MMC is in NO WAY
    the authority on the DNS servers -- it is merely a tool, where
    you can look at one or more DNS servers, but you may have
    to ADD them to get started.

    If you are really stumped, you can call me. Numbers on
    my website: http://www.LearnQuick.Com

    --
    Herb Martin

    > any ideas

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns (More info?)

    > And voila, it is now replicating when i click refresh... Herb your a
    > great help....
    >
    > BUT I give up with the PTR records..

    Ok, since Reverse zones are not really important to
    most INTERNAL zones -- they are important for
    things like external Mail servers usually.

    But notice that Reverse zones are PRECISELY like
    the Forward zones in the way that you MANAGE them,
    but they are COMPLETELY unrelated to the forward
    zone(s) technically.

    All such relationships are in the minds of use humans.

    > as when i create a new host in the forward lookup zone
    >
    > ie 172.30.100.20 and select the "Create associated PTR record" check
    > box

    Did you create the Reverse zone on that server yet?
    You cannot create the record in a zone that does not
    exist.

    > it does not add an entry in the reverse lookup zone
    > "100.30.172.in-addr.arpa.dns"

    That zone is misnamed: there should be NO ".dns"
    on the end of the zone name -- that is FINE for the
    FILE name which holds the zone but not for the
    zone, which should be:

    100.30.172.in-addr.arpa.

    Is that (same) DNS server PRIMARY for the zone?

    Or, CAN you add it there manually?

    > one minor problem

    Maybe you hit send by accident without finishing -- I
    used to do that a LOT <grin> by leaving the Pointer
    over the Reply button in OE which turns into the
    Send button on a NEW message.

    --
    Herb Martin

Microsoft DNS Servers Windows