Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RSS Reader

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
January 3, 2005 2:00:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
reader they use for the desktop.

Is there a way to synchronise between the pocket pc feeds and the desktop?

thanks

Nelson

More about : rss reader

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Nelson,

I use NewsBreak from Ilium Software. It works great and allows for
synchronization via ActiveSync Passthrough and WiFi. You can get more
information on it at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/newsbreak.htm. For a
review, go to
http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/ilium/newsbreak-1-0...

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor
Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
http://www.clintonfitch.com

A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!


"Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uCukM9M8EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
> reader they use for the desktop.
>
> Is there a way to synchronise between the pocket pc feeds and the desktop?
>
> thanks
>
> Nelson
>
>
>
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Another one is at
http://www.happyjackroad.net/pocketpc/pocketRSS/pocketR...

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uCukM9M8EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
> reader they use for the desktop.
>
> Is there a way to synchronise between the pocket pc feeds and the desktop?
>
> thanks
>
> Nelson
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:00:55 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Just seconding Clinton's recommendation. I've been using Ilium's
NewsBreak for a while and it has joined it sibling software product
Ilium eWallet as a must-have on my Pocket PC.

And, although I have not tried it in a while, I'd mention the free
Furrygoat PocketFeed v.06 Alpha. Despite its version number, I think it
was the first RSS client for the Pocket PC.

http://www.furrygoat.com/Misc/Software.html

--
Todd Ogasawara, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
Online Editor - http://MobileViews.com/ -- PDA & Wireless Info
http://www.OgasaWalrus.com/MobileDot/ - Brief News & Comments


Clinton Fitch III wrote:
> Nelson,
>
> I use NewsBreak from Ilium Software. It works great and allows for
> synchronization via ActiveSync Passthrough and WiFi. You can get more
> information on it at http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/nw/newsbreak.htm. For a
> review, go to
> http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/ilium/newsbreak-1-0...
>
> Regards,
>
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 3:24:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Nelson wrote:
> Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
> reader they use for the desktop.
>
> Is there a way to synchronise between the pocket pc feeds and the desktop?
>
> thanks
>
> Nelson
>
>
>

I use NewsBreak. But you may be interested in RSS Sync.
http://www.viksoe.dk/code/rsssync.htm

--
Darius Wey
Pocket PC Thoughts
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 7:49:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:00:53 +0930, "Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
>reader they use for the desktop.

I use Newsbreak, as already recommended by several other posters in
this thread. It is actually the third RSS reader I have installed (and
registered) on my PocketPC, but the only one that is still installed
there. No complaints at all.

On my PC, I use Newsgator (www.newgator.com) as my RSS reader. This is
a plug-in to Microsoft Outlook and makes your subscribed RSS feeds
look and work just like mail folders. You can also use ActiveSync to
send one or more of these Newsgator folders in Outlook down to your
PocketPC too, just like normal mail folders.

I don't know of any specific "RSS reader sync" product between a PC
and PocketPC reading the same feeds (and avoiding duplicate downloads,
etc) outside of doing what I've said here with Newsgator. After trying
ActiveSync for a while, I decided I actually only have a small overlap
between "feeds I want to read on my desktop" and "feeds I want to read
on my PocketPC", so I just have the two apps set up differently and
deal with any overlaps (ie feeds I happen to subscribe to in both
places) by just using "mark all as read" on one or the other platform,
depending where I read the new items for that feed on that day.


ted.h.
--
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
January 3, 2005 10:18:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've only tried Egress and find its quite easy to use - but hey I'm fairly
new to RSS and can't compare yet. On the desktop machine I recently
installed the FireFox extension Sage 1.3 where I build up my RSS feeds and
periodically import into Egress.

I'll check out the others.

Nelson.


"Ted Harper" <Ted.HarperREPEL_SPAM@SPAM_AWAYImpactInvesting.com> wrote in
message news:frmht0108cfh5pa69cu5rkgu61ov3mu197@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:00:53 +0930, "Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
>>reader they use for the desktop.
>
> I use Newsbreak, as already recommended by several other posters in
> this thread. It is actually the third RSS reader I have installed (and
> registered) on my PocketPC, but the only one that is still installed
> there. No complaints at all.
>
> On my PC, I use Newsgator (www.newgator.com) as my RSS reader. This is
> a plug-in to Microsoft Outlook and makes your subscribed RSS feeds
> look and work just like mail folders. You can also use ActiveSync to
> send one or more of these Newsgator folders in Outlook down to your
> PocketPC too, just like normal mail folders.
>
> I don't know of any specific "RSS reader sync" product between a PC
> and PocketPC reading the same feeds (and avoiding duplicate downloads,
> etc) outside of doing what I've said here with Newsgator. After trying
> ActiveSync for a while, I decided I actually only have a small overlap
> between "feeds I want to read on my desktop" and "feeds I want to read
> on my PocketPC", so I just have the two apps set up differently and
> deal with any overlaps (ie feeds I happen to subscribe to in both
> places) by just using "mark all as read" on one or the other platform,
> depending where I read the new items for that feed on that day.
>
>
> ted.h.
> --
> Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
January 3, 2005 10:28:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ted, out of interest have you tried Egress?

I have an IPAQ2210 and only update the feeds when my device is being
synchronised in ActiveSync. As an offline RSS reader is pretty good.

Nelson


"Ted Harper" <Ted.HarperREPEL_SPAM@SPAM_AWAYImpactInvesting.com> wrote in
message news:frmht0108cfh5pa69cu5rkgu61ov3mu197@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 23:00:53 +0930, "Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi, does anyone know of a good RSS reader for the pocket pc and also a
>>reader they use for the desktop.
>
> I use Newsbreak, as already recommended by several other posters in
> this thread. It is actually the third RSS reader I have installed (and
> registered) on my PocketPC, but the only one that is still installed
> there. No complaints at all.
>
> On my PC, I use Newsgator (www.newgator.com) as my RSS reader. This is
> a plug-in to Microsoft Outlook and makes your subscribed RSS feeds
> look and work just like mail folders. You can also use ActiveSync to
> send one or more of these Newsgator folders in Outlook down to your
> PocketPC too, just like normal mail folders.
>
> I don't know of any specific "RSS reader sync" product between a PC
> and PocketPC reading the same feeds (and avoiding duplicate downloads,
> etc) outside of doing what I've said here with Newsgator. After trying
> ActiveSync for a while, I decided I actually only have a small overlap
> between "feeds I want to read on my desktop" and "feeds I want to read
> on my PocketPC", so I just have the two apps set up differently and
> deal with any overlaps (ie feeds I happen to subscribe to in both
> places) by just using "mark all as read" on one or the other platform,
> depending where I read the new items for that feed on that day.
>
>
> ted.h.
> --
> Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 11:34:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:28:03 +0930, "Nelson" <bnilic@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ted, out of interest have you tried Egress?
>
>I have an IPAQ2210 and only update the feeds when my device is being
>synchronised in ActiveSync. As an offline RSS reader is pretty good.

Yes I have tried egress and it was generally pretty good. Two problems
I can remember with it: (1) it had a problem for some feeds
recognising that it had previously retrieved a particular entry, and
duplicated these as new unread entries every time it fetched that feed
(ie so you built up over time a lot of duplicates of that entry even
when it hadn't been updated or re-posted by the site), and (2) it
corrupted/lost all its settings one day and I had to start over.

A day or two after issue (2) happened, I saw that Newsbreak had been
released. Downloaded and installed it, ran the two side-by-side for a
few days, decided to register and keep Newsbreak. I'm sure most people
would have no problems whatsoever with Egress, but I guess I was just
unlucky, and for the small amounts of money involved to register these
PocketPC apps I decided it wasn't worth agonising too long about it
all.

I reckon you should load up _all_ the RSS readers you can find onto
your PocketPC, choose a subset of your feeds and try using all the
readers side-by-side. It should only take a day or so to decide which
one suits you best, then uninstall all but that one and register the
one you're keeping.


ted.h.

p.s. I realised I mistyped the URL for Newsgator in my earlier post in
this thread. It is of course www.newsgator.com

--
Ted Harper (Sydney, Australia)
!