How can I setup a univeral * computer name for one domain ..

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

How can I setup a domain name with *.domain.com that all computer name of
this domain name all be resolved to a specific IP address?

Please help.

Chris

In news:%23SGLxLl%23EHA.608@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Chris <chriskum9092@yahoo.com.hk> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> How can I setup a domain name with *.domain.com that all
> computer name of this domain name all be resolved to a
> specific IP address?

This is called a wildcard record and may cause you unexpected results
if the Wildcard is in a zone that matches one of your names in your DNS
Suffix search list.
That said, here is how you do it in the MMC console, open the Forward
Lookup Zone you want the wildcard in, right click in the zone, select
new domain, name the domain with an asterisk " * ", open the * subdomain,
right click select new host, leave the name field blank, give it the IP you
want the wildcard to resolve to.

The unexpected results you may find is that if the wildcard is in a name out
of your
DNS suffix search list, any name you enter that does not have an explicit
record for will hit
this record unless you add a trailing dot to all queries. The trailing dot
stops the suffixes from being
appended.

--
Best regards,