Sign in with
Your question

Beware the o/c!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2006 1:10:58 PM

I don't like forums so I never subscribed to one but this one seems pretty cool. I read about the x850pro deals from ATI and I bought one. Unfortunately my pos did not unlock so I pushed it to the limits with overclock. Unfortunately my pos didn't like the o/c and now it is a worthless artifacting ... well pos!

I hope every else's card is a better one. My was obviously a refurbed junk. ATI will not replace it because it no longer exists but I got credit for a new card. Oh well.

I pushed the card to 575mhz core and 575mhz memory with a Zalman Fata1ity cooler and it was stable playing games for a few hours. Temperatures were within a good range and then the card went artifact nuts and now they're permanent. Frisbee anyone?

More about : beware

August 18, 2006 1:16:40 PM

Tell ya what, I know some will disagree, but in truth OC does not pay. It is like speeding - you waste a lot of gas (oh, man, with current gas prices it bites) and you get pulled over (like I am now to appear in court and try to talk my way out of 6 points for doing 94 in 65). So, is my car a POS? Nah. I messed up. So did you :twisted:
August 18, 2006 1:19:32 PM

Oh I fried the card. I admit that. But I pushed it to speeds others have claimed to have gotten.

Overclocking is "31337" and the only way to do things!

Frying a card makes you appreciate the finer things in gaming.
Related resources
August 18, 2006 1:25:22 PM

Were you monitoring the temperature the whole time? All I need to do is drop 300 bucks for a passport 8500 and no worries about cops catching me speeding (not that I do that of course... >.>)

Heat is the main issue for electronic components to die... well, voltage, which relates to heat, yadda yadda yadda...
August 18, 2006 1:32:41 PM

Did I hear someone just say that OCing does not pay? As in it doesn't do any good? I hope not. I hope it was just another analogy that I misunderstood...Because OCing CERTAINLY does pay.
August 18, 2006 1:37:06 PM

Yes I monitored the temps. Never over 55-60C the entire time. I even installed memory heatsinks. The VGA cooler I have is great for cooling the GPU and memory. I had a bad vibe about the card anyway when I opened it. It was laser-cut too so no unlocking which sucks.

I was having fun playing some games until the thing went ape-shit... it performs pretty decent. I've tried several times to revive it but it has permanent green artifacts.

Oh well my friend is going to sell me his 6800GS for really cheap and he got it to unlock the 4 extra pipes.
August 18, 2006 1:41:06 PM

did you just oc it and started to play games? thats the dumbest thing to do.. do like 24h 3dmark burnin and atitool checks
August 18, 2006 1:45:43 PM

I'm not even going to acknowledge that dumb reply.
August 18, 2006 1:54:44 PM

I guess for you it was a combination of bad luck and... probably bad luck. 55-60C is pretty cool for a GPU, I've seen some climb up to 90 degrees. Maybe sensor was calibrated wrong? Usually GPU's would scale down or at least warn you when temps get that high... meh
August 18, 2006 1:58:16 PM

Yes bad luck and more bad luck. The Fata1ity cooler I use works like a charm.

If you read on newegg you will see a lot of RMAs for video cards. I bet 50% of them are people being dumb but it's not that often you see people having bad cards out the box. I just had bad luck.

I am just warning to all who can push their x850pros to 575+ they should just watch it closely!!!!
August 18, 2006 3:36:01 PM

Quote:

Ugghhh, you just did!
August 18, 2006 3:37:12 PM

Quote:
I don't like forums so I never subscribed to one but this one seems pretty cool.

We got'em fooled!
August 18, 2006 4:17:49 PM

Quote:
You're the fool who destroyed your card without testing it; running ATI tool first would have been the best idea.
August 18, 2006 4:18:04 PM

Now you know why I don't like forums. People, like you, post things for no reason only to try to start something.

SIGH! :twisted: :roll:
August 18, 2006 4:20:36 PM

Obviously that remark went way over everyone's head.

When I refuse to acknowledge a dumb comment it means I am not going to answer it simply because it's stupid to ask.

OF COURSE I TESTED THE CARD. I really do not see how/why/when/where/what is confusing about my obvious "I will not acknowledge that comment".
August 18, 2006 5:28:10 PM

I've run OC'd CPU's, RAM, Video cards on every one of my PC's I build each year since about 1998 and none of them ever failed. You A) Didn't research enough B) Have no idea what you're doing (see # A) C) Had bad luck or a faulty piece of hardware.

Suck it up, you got what you paid for so don't feel bad when you push something over its "sold as" limits and you fried it.
August 18, 2006 5:48:54 PM

Quote:
I don't like forums so I never subscribed to one but this one seems pretty cool.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I've never OC'd anything that I couldn't replace or feared loosing. It's the risk we take though eh? As a response to the above statement I would just like to say that in review.. you haven't recieved as many useless statements and attacks that normally seems to occur here at THG. There are far better tech forums to post questions and experiences since this place is populated by too many hosers. I often don't bother to post because topics are so rampant with bickering over nonsense and whos **** is bigger than whos. But I still come here on occasion because sometimes I glean an interesting fact, or what have you, in between all the other garbage. Good luck with your 6800gs
August 18, 2006 5:53:57 PM

I think this guy got what he deserved... buy a good product... if it does in fact overclock (or unlock), that's just gravy. My AMD X2-4400 (it's over a year old now!) is OC'd to FX-60 speeds... and you better believe I didn't immediately make the jump to that speed. At the time of purchase an AMD FX-60 did not even exist... however, my CPU did outperform the X2-4800 that cost $400 more at the time. If you have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a 3% overclock, it IS a bad deal... if you can get an overclock and retain system stability for no additional costs... how the hell is that not worth it?

You're a tard... you screwed up your card... on something that ain't... well, it ain't too hard. You do your thing and the rest of us (the ones with common sense) will do ours.
August 18, 2006 6:14:25 PM

Has anyone considered the card just may have been bad to begin with? I've seen lots of posts on boards where the X800XLs either came dead or went bad within a week. These are refurbs. Personally, I'd send it back to ATI, but that's just me.
August 18, 2006 6:48:02 PM

I have an x800pro factory 475/450, bought an arctic cooling rev 5 from newegg (will fit an x850 too) for 20 bucks, clocked the bia to 550/550 and it is 15 degrees cooler at idle and load OC'ed!!! Been that way for months. The AC cooler is a beast, like 7 times bigger than stock, takes up another slot...but, gets all the hot air out of the case and has a fatty heat sink, works like a charm. Maybe you installed the Zalman poorly?
August 18, 2006 6:50:04 PM

oh i forgot, my FPS went up 10 in lost coast at 1280x1024 and got an extra 80 points in 3d mark 06
August 18, 2006 6:52:36 PM

Either way, I don't see how the hell he could have burned out his card if his temperatures were within normal bounds... Either way, calling someone stupid is pretty harsh, in fact, I'm sure most of ya'll did way more dumb ass things than he did, you just don't have the balls to admit it.
August 18, 2006 7:05:00 PM

Quote:
I don't see how the hell he could have burned out his card if his temperatures were within normal bounds... Either way, calling someone stupid is pretty harsh, in fact, I'm sure most of ya'll did way more dumb ass things than he did, you just don't have the balls to admit it.

Bravo, Doughbuy! Everyone does dumb things once in a while...
August 18, 2006 8:15:20 PM

Quote:
I really do not see how/why/when/where/what is confusing about my obvious "I will not acknowledge that comment".

So you're trying to tell us it's only a flesh wound?
August 18, 2006 8:28:04 PM

Quote:
Either way, I don't see how the hell he could have burned out his card if his temperatures were within normal bounds... Either way, calling someone stupid is pretty harsh, in fact, I'm sure most of ya'll did way more dumb ass things than he did, you just don't have the balls to admit it.

The only person to even use the word stupid in this entire post is the original person complaining about the card they ruined by OC'ing it.

Everyone who does dumb things don't get on the internet, admit to it, complain about it in a major public forum and then not take blame themselves for their unsuccessful attempts.

He says he got credit toward a new one anyway, so I don't see where the problem is in the first place.
August 18, 2006 8:39:47 PM

Quote:

The only person to even use the word stupid in this entire post is the original person complaining about the card they ruined by OC'ing it.

The word stupid? You're right, but let's look at what led up to it

Quote:
did you just oc it and started to play games? thats the dumbest thing to do.. do like 24h 3dmark burnin and atitool checks

Quote:
You're the fool who destroyed your card without testing it; running ATI tool first would have been the best idea.

Quote:
You're a tard... you screwed up your card... on something that ain't... well, it ain't too hard. You do your thing and the rest of us (the ones with common sense) will do ours.

So no, they didn't say he was he was stupid. They just said he's a retarded fool that does dumb things. :roll:
August 18, 2006 8:51:11 PM

Man i fried 4 video cards with oc and they where good cards not some refurbe and they are all RMA and resting in theyr grave and i don't plan on stopping any time soon
August 18, 2006 9:20:16 PM

Dude, the way ocing works is you use ati tool, tell it to go, slowly boosting speeds until you start etting artifaxcts then you drop by ten to twenty MHz, you dont just go all out at a speed some guy got, not all chips are the same, infact i feel safe to say that no two chips are alike. My 9800pro does 420-366, but ive read places where ppl do even better, mine can run at 440 but it would artifact a little so i dropped it to 420 and now i get no issues, no artifacts. But true, a burn in of 3dmark would also have crapped out the card... I myself have been saved by Ati's smart gart many-a-time (when oc-ing goes bad: Once when i bought it, then when i put the zalman fanless hs (the reely cool one) then when i put a fan on it, then when i water cooled it (titan nikita(friggin sweet)))) really, it failed at the exact speeds every time, it just ran cooler at each fail.

I think that this has been a valuable lesson, just like trying to OC on a VIA chipset (unlocked AGP/PCI busses, which is why i cant go beyond 230 memclock with my Clawhammer 3000+) ocing a video card is risky buisness, and the gain really isnt worth it. But if were talking bout OCing a CPU on a good mobo, that IS worth it.
August 18, 2006 9:42:19 PM

Does that also apply to a car with turbo charge, all the ocing with mode chips for the computer in them. Its hard to find a Mode chip in cars now my buddy has a grand National and lucky on the black market he found one. If a computer is oc'ed properly it is perfect. Just like a car to much of one thing and the finish line will never come.
August 18, 2006 9:43:49 PM

Pulled over for going 94 in a 65? Dang...you're just cruising for a ticket. The guy ahead of me on I-24 westbound just out of Chattanooga was going merely 80 in a 65 and got pulled over by the GSP. Scared the snot out of me as I was following him, but I saw the cop faster and wasn't going as fast.

I don't OC as heat and the loss of frequency scaling does not get made up for by the ~400 MHz that my X2 4200 will overclock. Also, my CPU tends to make math errors when pushed fast and some of the things I do scream and holler at that a lot. Nothing like a non-executing executable being plopped out of a compiler on an overclocked machine to screw up a day, especially when the executable or library is something like glibc or bash.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2006 10:21:36 PM

Quote:

First: You ARE not just dumb but stupid. You replied.

Second: You ran a game to test your OCing. That even makes you a stupid idiot.

*/ignore ElPolloDiablo*
!