Closed

Reverse Lookup problem (Duplicate zone found)

Hi Folks,

I am facing this problem when I query my Windows DNS for reverse lookup from
dnsstuff.com

WARNING: Duplicate zone found (100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. is repeated).
This can prevent the lookup from continuing
(BIND8 and BIND9 will cause a 'server failure' response). Although
I will continue, be aware that
most DNS servers will not see your reverse DNS entry.

(Sorry that I had to conceal the first three octets of the IP with 10.10.10
being my clients IP.)

The ISP has configured a CNAME referral to point to the internal DNS which
is hosted at our premises.

On the Internal DNS I created a reverse zone 100.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. with
the PTR Record of the mail relay server
Please help me as there quite a number of Domains which are bouncing emails
if I do not have this reverse lookup.

Cheers
Simon.
3 answers Last reply
More about reverse lookup problem duplicate zone found

    I also checked http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174419/EN-US but did not
    help.

    Any help ...Thank You.

    ~Simon

    "Simon" <abstract2030@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I am facing this problem when I query my Windows DNS for reverse lookup
    > from dnsstuff.com
    >
    > WARNING: Duplicate zone found (100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. is repeated).
    > This can prevent the lookup from continuing
    > (BIND8 and BIND9 will cause a 'server failure' response).
    > Although I will continue, be aware that
    > most DNS servers will not see your reverse DNS entry.
    >
    > (Sorry that I had to conceal the first three octets of the IP with
    > 10.10.10 being my clients IP.)
    >
    > The ISP has configured a CNAME referral to point to the internal DNS which
    > is hosted at our premises.
    >
    > On the Internal DNS I created a reverse zone 100.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
    > with the PTR Record of the mail relay server
    > Please help me as there quite a number of Domains which are bouncing
    > emails if I do not have this reverse lookup.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Simon.

    after doing all crazy things I found out that the child zone name should
    match the parent which is delegating
    i.e
    A Parent Server delegates 100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. to my server which
    is the child. Then I should be creating a zone called
    100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
    and NOT 100.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa

    I was under the impression that a Windows DNS would not accept somthing like
    a slash in the zone name but a re-reading of KB article 174419 nailed it.

    >I also checked http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174419/EN-US but did not
    >help.
    >
    > Any help ...Thank You.
    >
    > ~Simon
    >
    > "Simon" <abstract2030@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I am facing this problem when I query my Windows DNS for reverse lookup
    >> from dnsstuff.com
    >>
    >> WARNING: Duplicate zone found (100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. is
    >> repeated). This can prevent the lookup from continuing
    >> (BIND8 and BIND9 will cause a 'server failure' response).
    >> Although I will continue, be aware that
    >> most DNS servers will not see your reverse DNS entry.
    >>
    >> (Sorry that I had to conceal the first three octets of the IP with
    >> 10.10.10 being my clients IP.)
    >>
    >> The ISP has configured a CNAME referral to point to the internal DNS
    >> which is hosted at our premises.
    >>
    >> On the Internal DNS I created a reverse zone 100.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
    >> with the PTR Record of the mail relay server
    >> Please help me as there quite a number of Domains which are bouncing
    >> emails if I do not have this reverse lookup.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Simon.

    In news:uS3d6bU$EHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Simon <abstract2030@yahoo.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > after doing all crazy things I found out that the child
    > zone name should match the parent which is delegating
    > i.e
    > A Parent Server delegates 100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
    > to my server which is the child. Then I should be
    > creating a zone called 100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa.
    > and NOT 100.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa
    >
    > I was under the impression that a Windows DNS would not
    > accept somthing like a slash in the zone name but a
    > re-reading of KB article 174419 nailed it.

    You can create a zone named 100/28.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa. but the file will
    replace the / with an underscore, slashes are not allowed in file names.
    The name you give it must be the same as the CNAME given it by your ISP. FYI
    some ISPs will delegate the reverse lookup to the Forward lookup for a
    domain you own and have administrative rights to because most people don't
    have access to a DNS server to create an xx.xx.xx.in-addr.arpa zone.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Internet Service Providers DNS Windows