Correct Raid Drivers

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
At the moment i'm in the proccess of trying to install XP on my new computer which has a Raid 0 set-up - the problem is when i press enter to begin installation proccess it says i have no hard-drives attached to my computer.

Now i *think* this might be a Raid driver issue and that i'm using the wrong drivers for my motherboard so i wanted to see if i was maybe right.

I'm using an Asus P5W DH Deluxe, and am using Intel's Matrix Storage Controller to set up my RAID 0 setup. The problem, i think, is that when i'm given the option of which drivers to install (after inserting the floppy disk into my computer near the beginning on windows xp installation) the version of the ones i'm meant to use are 'ICH8R' (according to my floppy). In short, what i want to know is don't i require 'ICH7R' raid drivers if i'm using an Asus P5W DH Deluxe with a 975x chipset, not 'ICH8R' ones.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but i think it's closest to being a motherboard issue.

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Well you create the drivers by using the motherboard support disk, so these are the supplied drivers. On the support disk it says 'add ICH7R drivers to floppy' or something like that but when i press F6 to install i'm given a list of ICH8R drivers.... weird problem :? don't really know the solution to this

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
When you insert floppy and press F6, do you see this option?
82801GR SATA RAID
That's the one you need for ICH7-R in RAID config.

If not then download this to create floppy. (latest universal driver)
I believe it also contains the Matrix Storage Manager software you install on Windows.

Well i've just checked again and these are the four options that i receive once i've insert my floppy disk and pressed enter:

Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)

None of them seem to work (i've tried them all) and none of them seem to be close to your reccomended 82801GR driver :(

I've allready tried downloading that link before but there is only the option to install the program to the computer your using, something i do not wish to do, i want to get the right drivers onto floppy, not onto my other computer, don't want to have two non-working comps :roll: i might have missed something i'm meant to do but i'm pretty sure those are to install on a computer that you download them to.

Any idea where i might get the correct drivers so that i can put them onto floppy? And i don't suppose you know what on earth these drivers are, whether they're remotley correct for my system? Thanks.

NOCDPC

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
I used the link directly from Intel Site and I get the same problem. When trying to install fresh OS of WinXP these options for RAID instead of ICH7R...:

Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA RAID Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
Intel(R) ICH8R/D0/DH SATA AHCI Controller (Desktop ICH8R)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA RAID Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)
Intel(R) 631xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI Controller (Server/Workstation ESB2)

What am I doing wrong. :( I want to make a driver disk with version

Intel® Matrix Storage Manager 6.2.1.1002 1/4/2007 on them but I am having no luck...

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Hey, old topic... well i eventually got my pc working fortunatly :D unfortunatly it's a bitch to do.

In the end some tech guy sorted it out for me, in short he believed it was a bug within windows xp home edition.... you see the raid driver disk worked fine with windows pro or server edition but with home edition you ONLY get the first four options out of all the driver options to choose from.

For some reason with windows xp home (which i'm assuming you're using) it only gives you 4 options, not the full 8 options or however many there are.

To solve this problem, and i'm not sure exactly how he did it, he put the drivers onto floppy then edited the order on the floppy disk in which the drivers were stored so that when i put the floppy disk in the ones i wanted would come up first rather than 4 useless ones.

Sorry i can't be of more help.

NOCDPC

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2007
No I was installing Windows XP Pro. I used Intel's disk creation utility. I looked at the drivers on the disk and there was a command at the top to make the default=ICH8R) I changed the command to default=ICH7R and removed all instances of ICH8R drivers. After that all was fine. I am not sure if this is a problem with the IntelChipset Driver, the Asus ICH7R Raid Controller, or the Windows XP Pro media I am using. At this point I am fine. I was able to build my machine with the latest and greatest RAID chipset drivers which is what I wanted to accomplish. I am going to put a formal post on the Asus form and anywhere else I can to help others out. This seems to only be affecting a small user community but should be addressed nonetheless.

Regards,
8O

bumblebee13

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Congrats for solving the issue. Indeed it seems to be a weird issue, i orginally messaged asus about the problem but i never got a reply. Anyway, enjoy you pc :D and good idea trying to get the word out. The greatest problem i had solving the issue was the simple lack of information surrounding it.

NickCall801

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
After wasting a lot of time sorting through results on Google, then spending some time on the Intel website, I was able to locate the disk making utility for the legacy ICH7R RAID drivers. Some of the links in the earlier posts no longer work. Here they are:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmir ror.intel.com/9727/eng/f6flpy32.zip&agr=&ProductID=961&DwnldId=9727& amp;strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

These worked great for me with XP Pro where ICH8 drivers failed miserably.

Good Luck.
Sincerely,
Nick Call