newbie question

How can I setup an alias in my dns for my end users. I want them to be able
to type intranet and it goes to our intranet site. I see that I can add an
alias(cname) in the dns, but I'm not sure what to add for the fully
qualified domain name for target host (?). I have tried everything that I
can think of. My FQDN is boomer.local

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

You can also create a A record (say intranet) on your DNS Server

If you create the record under XYZ zone then users can reach the host by
simply typing http://intranet.XYZ

If XYZ happens to be your default domain name it is all the more good, user
can simply type http://intranet

~Simon

"Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How can I setup an alias in my dns for my end users. I want them to be
> able to type intranet and it goes to our intranet site. I see that I can
> add an alias(cname) in the dns, but I'm not sure what to add for the fully
> qualified domain name for target host (?). I have tried everything that I
> can think of. My FQDN is boomer.local
>
> Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

OK, I did add an A record called intranet. Do I need to update the
associated pointer record? I did create the A record under my default
domain, but when I try to ping intranet from a client machine it tells me it
could not find the host. When I try and ping from the server it works
without problems. Again thanks for any help that you can provide.

"Simon" <abstract2030@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You can also create a A record (say intranet) on your DNS Server
>
> If you create the record under XYZ zone then users can reach the host by
> simply typing http://intranet.XYZ
>
> If XYZ happens to be your default domain name it is all the more good,
> user can simply type http://intranet
>
> ~Simon
>
> "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> How can I setup an alias in my dns for my end users. I want them to be
>> able to type intranet and it goes to our intranet site. I see that I can
>> add an alias(cname) in the dns, but I'm not sure what to add for the
>> fully qualified domain name for target host (?). I have tried everything
>> that I can think of. My FQDN is boomer.local
>>
>> Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Trying pinging intranet.xyz ( i.e using the dns suffix).
Further PTR records are not a must for internal use.

> OK, I did add an A record called intranet. Do I need to update the
> associated pointer record? I did create the A record under my default
> domain, but when I try to ping intranet from a client machine it tells me
> it could not find the host. When I try and ping from the server it works
> without problems. Again thanks for any help that you can provide.

> "Simon" <abstract2030@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You can also create a A record (say intranet) on your DNS Server
>>
>> If you create the record under XYZ zone then users can reach the host by
>> simply typing http://intranet.XYZ
>>
>> If XYZ happens to be your default domain name it is all the more good,
>> user can simply type http://intranet
>>
>> ~Simon
>>
>> "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How can I setup an alias in my dns for my end users. I want them to be
>>> able to type intranet and it goes to our intranet site. I see that I
>>> can add an alias(cname) in the dns, but I'm not sure what to add for the
>>> fully qualified domain name for target host (?). I have tried
>>> everything that I can think of. My FQDN is boomer.local
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Thanks for your help