workstations registering in the root domain

What are the best practices if I don't want my workstations to register with
DDNS in the root domain company.com but in a subdomain or zone
site.company.com?

In news:66A8902E-CB26-4BA5-9C73-55D1153239A7@microsoft.com,
Cliff <Cliff@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> What are the best practices if I don't want my
> workstations to register with DDNS in the root domain
> company.com but in a subdomain or zone site.company.com?

In the System control panel on the Computer name tab in XP and Network
Identification tab in Win2k, you can change the Primary DNS suffix.
If you want the Workstations to register in both zones add the second domain
name to the DNS tab in TCP/IP properties. You can also set this connection
DNS suffix in DHCP option 015.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

> In the System control panel on the Computer name tab in XP and Network
> Identification tab in Win2k, you can change the Primary DNS suffix.
> If you want the Workstations to register in both zones add the second
domain
> name to the DNS tab in TCP/IP properties. You can also set this connection
> DNS suffix in DHCP option 015.

Do you think it would be better to reverse that?

Put the real domain name (of the machine) in the
System control panel, and the "other domain" in
the NIC-> properties?

In news:uFNb6Ml$EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Herb Martin <news@LearnQuick.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
>> In the System control panel on the Computer name tab in
>> XP and Network Identification tab in Win2k, you can
>> change the Primary DNS suffix.
>> If you want the Workstations to register in both zones
>> add the second domain name to the DNS tab in TCP/IP
>> properties. You can also set this connection DNS suffix
>> in DHCP option 015.
>
> Do you think it would be better to reverse that?
>
> Put the real domain name (of the machine) in the
> System control panel, and the "other domain" in
> the NIC-> properties?

Absolutely.