Read the forum, here's my build I think....opinion/advice?

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Hi guys-

I've spent the past several days reading this forum for my first build. I'm trying to make a gaming rig. I hope to learn to overclock once I figure out how to build the thing. Here are the pieces. Do you guys see any conflicts or incompatibility? Any advice appreciated.

ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100150L Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 1066MHz FSB LGA 775 Processor Model

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400

Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFDRTL 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

BFG Technologies PC System 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply

Opinions/Advice?

Thanks!

muffins

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
dont know much about that PSU manufacturer but if it gives you the amps you need on the rails then should be good

as for everything else looks good to me

nikolokolus

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Everything looks fine . . . though I can't seem to find any hard specs on that BFG power supply, neither newegg or BFG list them on their respective websites. Not knowing how many amps are on the +12 volt a +5 volt rails would make me consider buying a different brand . . . I'm sure it's probably fine though.

ualdriver

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Here are the specs for the power supply from the CompUSA website. I have some gift certificates for CompUSA that I have to burn up, so I thought I would try this power supply out. I'll probably Xfire the X1900XTX when I can buy the second one cheaper. Let me know what you guys think of this power supply or feel free to reccommend one off the Comp USA website that is better! Everyone else, thanks for your opinions.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?pfp=SEARCH&Ntt=bfg+650&N=0&Dx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&D=bfg+650&Ntk=All&product_code=339001&pfp=srch1

Overview for BFG Technologies PC System 650 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
(Based on manufacturer's information)
Whether you're a hard-core gamer running dual PCI Express graphics cards, or a PC enthusiast building a killer system with tons of power-hungry components — this is the power supply for you. Dual PCI Express connectors & dual 12 volt rails give your rig maximum flexibility, stability & superior power. BFG Silent Control Technology makes sure the unit runs as quietly as possible by varying the fan speed in response to load & conditions, & the over-temp, over-volt & over-current protection provides rock solid reliability to create the most robust system possible.

SLI Ready
ATX 12V 2.0
Supports the latest Intel and Athlon based platforms requiring 24-pin motherboard and 4-Pin or 8-Pin 12V connectors. With the 20+4-Pin motherboard connector, it is also backward compatible with previous ATX standards.

Dual 12V Rails
Two independent 12V rails provide your peripherals and critical system components with the most stable power.

PCI Express Ready
Two PCI Express 6-Pin power connectors ensures that any graphics card or other PCI Express add-in card you buy will have its own dedicated power connector for dependable operation.

SATA Connectors
Four serial ATA connectors allow you to connect up to four serial ATA devices without needing a special adapter.

BFG Silent Control Technology
During regular operation, the fan slows down to reduce unnecessary noise.

Protection Circuitry
Built-in protection circuitry is able to handle common power irregularities such as over-voltage, overload, and short circuits.

MTBF
A mean time between failure rating of 140,000 hours guarantees a long lasting and reliable source of power.

Motherboards Supported: ATX
Input Voltage Supported: 110 - 120
220 - 240
Input Current Type: AC (Alternating Current)
Power Rating: 650 W
Port Connectors: 1 x 20+4-Pin Motherboard Connector
1 x 4+4-Pin 12V ATX/EPS Connector
2 x 6-Pin PCI Express Connector
6 x 4-Pin Molex Connectors
2 x 4-Pin Floppy Connectors
4 x SATA Connectors

In the Box: 1 x 650 Watt Power Supply
1 x Power Cable
1 x Install Guide

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'd rather go with the 600W GameXStream, probably the best power supply for its class and has a good price range. Especially with its 3 12V rails. The 700W has 4 12V rails...

TRENDING THREADS