WINS

I have two WINS servers running on two separate W2K SP4 servers. I have a
Citrix server, and lately users cannot logon or access resources via the
Citrix server.
I have noticed that on the 2nd WINS server in the WINS entries, the Citrix
server state shows as been "tombstoned". I suspect that this is the reason
why users often have problems connecting.
How can I delete this "tombstoning" and get the two WINS server to replicate
the Citrix Server actively betweem them again?

Thanks

Johan

"Johan" <johan@rona.ca> wrote in message
> I have two WINS servers running on two separate W2K SP4 servers. I have a
> Citrix server, and lately users cannot logon or access resources via the
> Citrix server.
> I have noticed that on the 2nd WINS server in the WINS entries, the Citrix
> server state shows as been "tombstoned". I suspect that this is the reason
> why users often have problems connecting.
> How can I delete this "tombstoning" and get the two WINS server to
replicate
> the Citrix Server actively betweem them again?

Probably not the problem itself although it might be
a symptom of the problem.

Tombstoning is a natural behavior of most any multi-mastered
database (more than one computer can change the records).

Were it not for tombstoning a record deleted could theoretically
be re-copied from another partner who had not yet received
the deletion update.

IF you have machines which do not list the WINS server in
their NIC -> IP properties that would more likely account
for such.

ALL internal machines, including servers such as DCs and
WINS servers themselves, need to be WINS clients (in the
NIC->IP Properties.)

--
Herb Martin

> Thanks
>
> Johan

A totally different question, but related to WINS. I have 2 WINS server as
well, one of each in different subnets. I've set them up to replicate using
Push/Pull. Are each server suppose to have the identical WINS database? When
i do a search by owner, they each list only machines from their subnets.

"Che Bliayang" <cbliayang@csmcorp.net> wrote in message
> A totally different question, but related to WINS. I have 2 WINS server as
> well, one of each in different subnets. I've set them up to replicate
using
> Push/Pull. Are each server suppose to have the identical WINS database?

Yes. (In terms of records being there.)

> When
> i do a search by owner, they each list only machines from their subnets.

That would be correct if machines on each of those subnets
are set to register (only) with the WINS server on that
particular subnet.

'Owner' is the WINS Server which (directly) accepted the
registration, and thus 'owns' that record.

The other servers should HAVE those records but will
not be the owner -- if replication is full and complete.

--
Herb Martin

> > "Johan" <johan@rona.ca> wrote in message
> >> I have two WINS servers running on two separate W2K SP4 servers. I
have
> >> Citrix server, and lately users cannot logon or access resources via
the
> >> Citrix server.
> >> I have noticed that on the 2nd WINS server in the WINS entries, the
> >> Citrix
> >> server state shows as been "tombstoned". I suspect that this is the
> >> reason
> >> why users often have problems connecting.
> >> How can I delete this "tombstoning" and get the two WINS server to
> > replicate
> >> the Citrix Server actively betweem them again?
> >

> > Probably not the problem itself although it might be
> > a symptom of the problem.
> >
> > Tombstoning is a natural behavior of most any multi-mastered
> > database (more than one computer can change the records).
> >
> > Were it not for tombstoning a record deleted could theoretically
> > be re-copied from another partner who had not yet received
> > the deletion update.
> >
> > IF you have machines which do not list the WINS server in
> > their NIC -> IP properties that would more likely account
> > for such.
> >
> > ALL internal machines, including servers such as DCs and
> > WINS servers themselves, need to be WINS clients (in the
> > NIC->IP Properties.)
> >

> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> >> Thanks