Adding Internet Router Causes Problems

Hello,

I added a USR8200 router to our LAN/WAN but am having DNS issues. My DC is
my DNS machine. From what the USR tech sup told me was that I needed to put
the router IP in the network connection DNS setting and move my DC to the
Alternate DNS Server. Well, I have heard from many that is a major no no.
I'm supposed to setup forwarding so it will rout the router DNS info
properly. I'm looking at the DNS console and am thinking that if I touch
this without help, the world will end very soon!

Does anyone know of a document that describes in detail what all needs to
setup forwarding? My Internet router is on the same side of the WAN as my
DNS server. I can ping the IP of the Internet router but not by name. I
know this is a problem and am hoping setting up forwarding will solve it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
2 answers Last reply
More about adding internet router problems

    In news:16A6BC3E-7DCF-4F62-9D2D-4734907A53C9@microsoft.com,
    Carl <Carl@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I added a USR8200 router to our LAN/WAN but am having DNS
    > issues. My DC is my DNS machine. From what the USR tech
    > sup told me was that I needed to put the router IP in the
    > network connection DNS setting and move my DC to the
    > Alternate DNS Server. Well, I have heard from many that
    > is a major no no. I'm supposed to setup forwarding so it
    > will rout the router DNS info properly. I'm looking at
    > the DNS console and am thinking that if I touch this
    > without help, the world will end very soon!

    If this is an AD domain, the USR tech is totally off track and will cause
    errors. Use only the DC's address for DNS on all clients then configure your
    local DNS to forward to the router. Forwarders are not required the DNS
    server should be able to resolve all internet names by using root hints.

    > Does anyone know of a document that describes in detail
    > what all needs to setup forwarding? My Internet router
    > is on the same side of the WAN as my DNS server. I can
    > ping the IP of the Internet router but not by name. I
    > know this is a problem and am hoping setting up
    > forwarding will solve it.

    300202 - HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300202&sd=RMVP

    323380 - HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323380&sd=RMVP

    825036 - Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and
    in Windows Server 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036&sd=RMVP

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thanks Kevin,

    Thanks for the info on what documents to check. I will try that this weekend.

    I'm trying to get through this without major problems. I know to you guys
    it is probably a simple procedure and I appreciate your help. To me this is
    brain surgery. I have picked up the MS Press MCSE pack to see if this would
    help to understand the process. It will be fun reading but hopefully some of
    it will sink in.

    I inherrited this situation from others so I'm very cautious about changing
    or deleting things on my own since I will have to put them back if needed.

    I'm a "transplanted" UNIX & COBOL application developer with some Novell
    experience.

    Thanks again for you help!
    Carl

Routers DNS Windows