DNS Settins

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Help!

I hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.

I signed up with a new host who supports ASP.NET and I am having a world of
difficulty getting my DNS settings right to view my site.

my site is www.brianwolters.com

The domain is registered and held by Network Solutions. I've emailed both
them and my new host for help and I get vague help at best.

My webmail site comes up just fine but my main site does nothing. What do I
need to do?

When I do a whois, I get this:
N1.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
N2.BRIANWOLTERS.COM

My host basically said it is still pointed at the OLD name server but I
honestly can't get any help from them or network solutions.

I've used FAQ's and such and still can't get it pointed to the right
"direction" and my site has been unavailable for nearly 2 weeks.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Brian

"Brian" <brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Help!
>
> I hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.

DNS questions are always ok here, and if they
can better be answer elsewhere you might receive
a suggestion to post there or CROSSPOST (a single
message) to both locations.

> I signed up with a new host who supports ASP.NET and I am having a world
of
> difficulty getting my DNS settings right to view my site.
>
> my site is www.brianwolters.com
>
> The domain is registered and held by Network Solutions. I've emailed both
> them and my new host for help and I get vague help at best.

Doesn't Network Solutions have an ONLINE WEB site
where you can set this yourself?

> My webmail site comes up just fine but my main site does nothing. What do
> need to do?
>
> When I do a whois, I get this:
> N1.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
> N2.BRIANWOLTERS.COM

That looks like some INTERNAL DNS server -- not the
ones at Network Solutions which all of us will see from
OUTSIDE (on the Internet.)

Go to Network Solutions and add your "www" host
A record (or Host record) with the IP address.

If you have the same zone Internally (on other Nameservers)
then add the same A-host records there too.

> My host basically said it is still pointed at the OLD name server but I
> honestly can't get any help from them or network solutions.

What old nameserver? Do you have one INTERNALLY
(which is ok)? Or did you have another PUBLIC server
prior to Network Solutions?

> I've used FAQ's and such and still can't get it pointed to the right
> "direction" and my site has been unavailable for nearly 2 weeks.

Call me if you can't figure it out. My phone is on
my website http://LearnQuick.Com

--
Herb Martin

> Suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Herb,

The last help I got from my host was to enter this DNS name server info with
Network Solutions:

NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET

I hope this will work!

> "Brian" <brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Help!
>>
>> I hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.
>
> DNS questions are always ok here, and if they
> can better be answer elsewhere you might receive
> a suggestion to post there or CROSSPOST (a single
> message) to both locations.
>
>> I signed up with a new host who supports ASP.NET and I am having a world
> of
>> difficulty getting my DNS settings right to view my site.
>>
>> my site is www.brianwolters.com
>>
>> The domain is registered and held by Network Solutions. I've emailed both
>> them and my new host for help and I get vague help at best.
>
> Doesn't Network Solutions have an ONLINE WEB site
> where you can set this yourself?
>
>> My webmail site comes up just fine but my main site does nothing. What do
>> need to do?
>>
>> When I do a whois, I get this:
>> N1.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
>> N2.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
>
> That looks like some INTERNAL DNS server -- not the
> ones at Network Solutions which all of us will see from
> OUTSIDE (on the Internet.)
>
> Go to Network Solutions and add your "www" host
> A record (or Host record) with the IP address.
>
> If you have the same zone Internally (on other Nameservers)
> then add the same A-host records there too.
>
>> My host basically said it is still pointed at the OLD name server but I
>> honestly can't get any help from them or network solutions.
>
> What old nameserver? Do you have one INTERNALLY
> (which is ok)? Or did you have another PUBLIC server
> prior to Network Solutions?
>
>> I've used FAQ's and such and still can't get it pointed to the right
>> "direction" and my site has been unavailable for nearly 2 weeks.
>
> Call me if you can't figure it out. My phone is on
> my website http://LearnQuick.Com
>
> --
> Herb Martin
>

>> Suggestions?
>> Thanks,
>> Brian

> The last help I got from my host was

Do you mean you ISP? Web host company?

What we want to do is get your DNS (back to) the REGISTRAR
(i.e., Network Solutions) with a Web page where you get
control, or move it to another one GoDaddy.com (cheap,
reliable) or Register.com (bit expensive, long reliable history).

FYI: I am moving my DNS names from Register to GoDaddy
slowly and testing the service before I move my important
names (I have quite a few for business, family, and club reasons.)

Did you register your DNS at Network Solutions, or did
your ISP/host company do that?

You might have to switch hosting companies too.

I have use Next Millenium with good results for inexpensive
and MICROSOFT oriented sites.

--
Herb Martin

"Brian" <brian_a_wolters@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> Herb,
>

> I hope this will work!

> > "Brian" <brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Help!
> >>
> >> I hope it is OK to ask these questions in this forum.
> >
> > DNS questions are always ok here, and if they
> > can better be answer elsewhere you might receive
> > a suggestion to post there or CROSSPOST (a single
> > message) to both locations.
> >
> >> I signed up with a new host who supports ASP.NET and I am having a
world
> > of
> >> difficulty getting my DNS settings right to view my site.
> >>
> >> my site is www.brianwolters.com
> >>
> >> The domain is registered and held by Network Solutions. I've emailed
both
> >> them and my new host for help and I get vague help at best.
> >
> > Doesn't Network Solutions have an ONLINE WEB site
> > where you can set this yourself?
> >
> >> My webmail site comes up just fine but my main site does nothing. What
do
> >> need to do?
> >>
> >> When I do a whois, I get this:
> >> N1.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
> >> N2.BRIANWOLTERS.COM
> >
> > That looks like some INTERNAL DNS server -- not the
> > ones at Network Solutions which all of us will see from
> > OUTSIDE (on the Internet.)
> >
> > Go to Network Solutions and add your "www" host
> > A record (or Host record) with the IP address.
> >
> > If you have the same zone Internally (on other Nameservers)
> > then add the same A-host records there too.
> >
> >> My host basically said it is still pointed at the OLD name server but I
> >> honestly can't get any help from them or network solutions.
> >
> > What old nameserver? Do you have one INTERNALLY
> > (which is ok)? Or did you have another PUBLIC server
> > prior to Network Solutions?
> >
> >> I've used FAQ's and such and still can't get it pointed to the right
> >> "direction" and my site has been unavailable for nearly 2 weeks.
> >
> > Call me if you can't figure it out. My phone is on
> > my website http://LearnQuick.Com
> >
> > --
> > Herb Martin
> >

> >> Suggestions?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Ok...here's the situation and maybe you can help me because I am still
unable to get it to "point" correctly...

I moved from one host to another one. The old host had my DNS info in a
"wholesale" account and I was told it would be moved to Network Solutions.
My new host provided me my new info and a FAQ to update the into at Network
Solutions. I've tried this backwards, forwards, up and down and can't get it
to work.

I can actually hit my webmail site but not my main website.

The last DNS update I did was add the three nameservers of:

NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET

And as of today, I still can't hit www.brianwolters.com

>> The last help I got from my host was
>
> Do you mean you ISP? Web host company?
>
> What we want to do is get your DNS (back to) the REGISTRAR
> (i.e., Network Solutions) with a Web page where you get
> control, or move it to another one GoDaddy.com (cheap,
> reliable) or Register.com (bit expensive, long reliable history).
>
> FYI: I am moving my DNS names from Register to GoDaddy
> slowly and testing the service before I move my important
> names (I have quite a few for business, family, and club reasons.)
>
> Did you register your DNS at Network Solutions, or did
> your ISP/host company do that?
>
> You might have to switch hosting companies too.
>
> I have use Next Millenium with good results for inexpensive
> and MICROSOFT oriented sites.
>
>> to enter this DNS name server info with
>> Network Solutions:
>>
>> NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
>> NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
>> NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET
>

> --
> Herb Martin
>

> "Brian" <brian_a_wolters@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Herb,
>>

>> I hope this will work!
>>
>> "Herb Martin" <news@LearnQuick.com> wrote in message
>> > "Brian" <brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > DNS questions are always ok here, and if they
>> > can better be answer elsewhere you might receive
>> > a suggestion to post there or CROSSPOST (a single
>> > message) to both locations.

> world
>> > of

> both
>> >
>> > Doesn't Network Solutions have an ONLINE WEB site
>> > where you can set this yourself?

> do

>> > That looks like some INTERNAL DNS server -- not the
>> > ones at Network Solutions which all of us will see from
>> > OUTSIDE (on the Internet.)
>> >
>> > Go to Network Solutions and add your "www" host
>> > A record (or Host record) with the IP address.
>> >
>> > If you have the same zone Internally (on other Nameservers)
>> > then add the same A-host records there too.

>> > What old nameserver? Do you have one INTERNALLY
>> > (which is ok)? Or did you have another PUBLIC server
>> > prior to Network Solutions?

>> > Call me if you can't figure it out. My phone is on
>> > my website http://LearnQuick.Com
>> >
>> > --
>> > Herb Martin

I will try to help you -- but I couldn't
find any new info or clear pr

> I can actually hit my webmail site but not my main website.
>
> The last DNS update I did was add the three nameservers of:
>
> NS1.DISCOUNTASP.NET
> NS2.DISCOUNTASP.NET
> NS3.DISCOUNTASP.NET
>
> And as of today, I still can't hit www.brianwolters.com

Well, (publicly) www.brianwolters.com points to:
64.79.161.51

And you three DNS server show as:
ns1.discountasp.net internet address = 64.79.161.51
ns2.discountasp.net internet address = 216.177.89.10
ns3.discountasp.net internet address = 63.110.186.41

You must change these servers (literally the Primary
among them which should replicate.)

Unless your webmail runs on the same server with your
other web server, you will not be able to reach BOTH
with the name www.brianwolters.com -- I use the pattern:
mail.domain.com for the email server.