Sign in with
Your question

getting file sharing working on xp pro

Last response: in Networking
August 6, 2003 8:31:33 AM

Hi
The problem: on a home network with 3 machines running xp pro. All 3 machines have shared files. Machine A can see and browse machines B and Cs shared files but Machines B and C cannot see or browse machine As shared files. Upon trying to connect to machine A (from B or C) a box comes up asking for a username and password. Machine A and B both have SP1 installed. None of them have firewalls.
How can I get file sharing working??
Any help greatly appreciated.
August 6, 2003 12:37:18 PM

did you uncheck "use simple file sharing"? What happens when you enter the correct username and password? Can you see the files then?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>
August 8, 2003 1:17:26 AM

Make sure simple file sharing is enabled unless you are a power user... does your guest account have a password?
Related resources
August 8, 2003 10:44:29 AM

I'm not the one with the question...

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 9, 2003 2:01:45 AM

use simple file sharing was unchecked so I checked it and now machine B goes you dont have permission to access this network resource blablabla
can't try putting in correct user/pass now even if I change "use simple file sharing" back
August 9, 2003 4:48:26 AM

if you have a folder shared on machine A, do this at a DOS prompt on machine B (uncheck use simple file sharing):

net use * \\IP.ADDRESS.MACHINE.A\share_name /u:USERNAME PASSWORD

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 9, 2003 8:28:20 AM

C:\>net use * \\192.168.1.69\share /u: guest
System error 58 has occurred.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

C:\>net use * \\192.168.1.69\share
System error 1385 has occurred.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this co
mputer.
August 9, 2003 5:15:21 PM

use a valid username and password on the target machine, instead of guest. Then what happens?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 21, 2003 10:07:09 AM

first of all sorry it took so long to get back

still wouldn't work with proper user:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>net use * \\192.168.1.69\share /u:mike 2343
System error 1385 has occurred.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this co
mputer.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sean>
August 21, 2003 10:12:12 AM

I was talking to this systems engineer at work a few days ago and he said I had to set the permissions (How?). I've never had to do that before. Have always been able to just share folders on the network and people can browse them. Can't see why 1 machine can see the others shared files but not the reverse. Does SP1 change it all?
August 21, 2003 12:27:58 PM

check out <A HREF="http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech/systemerrors.htm... error 1385 has occurred - Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" target="_new">this link</A> (scroll down to system error 1385)

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 22, 2003 7:33:36 AM

"Resolution: The users do not have permission to connect to the remote computer. To resolve this problem: on the remote computer, select Administrative Tools>Local Security Settings>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment, right-click on Access this computer from the network>Properties>Add Users or Groups, add everyone or any users you want to be able to access the computer from the network."

got to the part where you add users. went to add the other computer from location workgroup (our workgroup is "workgroup") clicked advanced, clicked find, found the computer, clicked ok, clicked apply and get "failed to save local policy database"
August 22, 2003 1:32:55 PM

is there any sort of domain on this lan?

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
</pre><p>
August 22, 2003 11:27:14 PM

no
August 27, 2003 6:03:29 AM

bump

(pleassssssssssssssssssssssssse help)
!