Question How to wipe external hard drive seagate goflex ultra portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnRyan

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hello,

I am trying to back up my computer and have the hard drive formatted for Mac OS (extended).

When I plug the hard drive into the USB it recognizes the drive perfectly fine and will even allow me to run the initial backup process. However, it soon realizes not enough space is on the hard drive for the full backup to take place so it says I need to select less things to backup or clear the space.

I tried manually removing old backups from the drive by sending them to my trash on my computer, however the hard drive still registers that over 200GB are being used. I checked the two major folders under the hard drive and both are only megabytes large.

How do I solve this problem? i.e. delete old backups properly or reset the drive completely?

Thanks!

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Delete old back ups the right way. This will enable you to back up correctly.

ShawnRyan

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Thank you for your responses...

I deleted the information manually from the hard drive and it took forever to delete from my computer - probably over an hour.

I am not quite sure how to reformat my drive. I was looking into that but couldn't figure out how exactly to do it.

Also, what does deleting backups "the right way" mean?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Your best bet is to into an Apple Reseller and explain your problem and I am sure they will assist you.Deleting means what you have stored in your hard drive and keeping in case the hard drive crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS